Sunday, November 28, 2010

Tantallon bis

Tantallon no. 2
Immediately after finishing Tantallon no. 1, I knew that a no. 2 would be in my future. Why? Because this is serious addiction knitting. Once those peerie bands take hold of you, you are powerless to stop. They are mind controllers!

Tantallon no. 2
The Specs
Pattern: Tantallon by Kate Davies (Needled)
Needles: size 2.5 addi turbo
Yarn: Shetland Spindrift: Merlin, Atlantic, Madder, Highland Mist, Ecology Pebble (!?) and Daffodil, about .25 of each skein. The lining is some bits and bobs of MadTosh laceweight.
Mods: None at all...

Tantallon no. 2
I wanted to make this another time as well because I wasn't 100% happy with the lining I chose for my first one--a dk cotton (?). What was I even thinking, by the way? It makes the brim stick out slightly too much. This lining is much more to my liking as it allows the hat to have a nice cloche shape, which is one of my favorite hat shapes.

Tantallon no. 2
Sullen Teen Alert! Sullen Teen Alert!

Tantallon no. 2
Shetland Spindrift is quite intriguing--on the skein is basically looks like twine, but it knits up into an unbelievably soft fabric. Luckily I am amassing QUITE the collection of odd skeins of the stuff. I see some sort of wrap in my future, maybe one like this one. However before I even think of such undertakings I have many other projects to finish. Hopefully I'll finish before the release of this tastiness...


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one GORGEOUS hat. Someday, when I am sufficiently brave to attempt colorwork again...

peaknits said...

another beaut!

Jodi said...

Pretty pretty pretty! I have some Shetland Spindrift in the stash but have yet to use it. It's nice to see it in such a beautiful project.

nicole said...

I too am under needled's colourwork spell. Tantallon is next on my queue and "fisheid" can't be far behind. Great cloche! Very chic (if one ignores the sulk).

Felix said...

Tantallon is pure addiction knitting and I am intrigued that you use addi turbos 2.5mm as I knit my Tantallon on 3.25mm needles and it came out large enough to LIVE IN. Luckily I felted it and now it is perfect, but maybe your needle size is closer to what I should be using...

...beautiful 2nd Tantallon!

Krystn Madrine said...

Love your Tantallon!

I have sent you an email to the addy associated with this blog, and I would love to hear back from you! It is an invitation to speak for our guild...you are simply the perfect person to come and teach us! Let me know if you are interested!

KMadrine

Lone Knitter said...

As always, I continue to be AMAZED by your ability to do colorwork--something I'm still too daunted by. Beautiful work.

kgmama said...

Beautiful! I love seeing your FO's--always gorgeous.

ali@skeinsherway said...

Aw, your sullen teen has such beautiful eyes! You are a blessed Momma!! (even on the trying days)
Beautiful colorwork, as always!

Unknown said...

The hat is beautiful! My shetland sheep say "Of course it is soft, it is SHETLAND!"

Anonymous said...

That's a sullen teen alright! I had to laugh when I saw the picture even before I saw the caption. The tales she will tell her kids someday about how her mom used her as a model, and of all the lovely knitted things her mom made.

Beautiful hat!