Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Annabella's Cowl, or how boredom almost made me gouge my own eyes out

Annabella's Cowl
When I began this cowl, which is really just a giant knitted tube of laceweight + mohair blend held together, I thought 'Oh geez, this is so simple, I'll be done with it in a matter of days for sure'. Umm, no. It's 29 inches. Apparently you can add 'delusional' to the list of adjectives that describes me. But I'm so glad I stuck with it, because it's fookin' awesome!
Annabella's cowl in Debbie Bliss Andes + Madeline Tosh Lace

The Specs:
Pattern: Annabella's Cowl by Churchmouse Yarns and Teas
Yarn: 3 skeins of Debbie Bliss Andes in 'Mustard' and .50 skein of Madeline Tosh Lace in 'Filigree'.
Needles: size 9
Mods: none. How would one go about making significant mods on a giant tube?

Annabella's cowl in Debbie Bliss Andes + Madeline Tosh Lace

This project was tedious like WHOA. I mean like blinding-you-with-impotent-rage tedious. But now it's done and I do believe that owning it will be a special kind of joy. Why? Because it is versatile beyond belief. Are you checking all the different styles above? Sandrine is working it, is she not?

Annabella's cowl in Debbie Bliss Andes + Madeline Tosh Lace

The pattern calls for Alchemy (yarns of transformation, whatever the hell that means) Silk Purse and Haiku, but since I couldn't get my act together and find any in time to begin, I made an appropriate enough sub I suppose. But me being who I am, I'll always wonder if not doing it in the called-for yarn was a mistake. I'll never know because I WILL NEVER MAKE THIS AGAIN. But I was jonesing for a scarf, and since blocking stretched it out to an impressive 41", I got my wish.
Annabella's cowl in Debbie Bliss Andes + Madeline Tosh Lace
As you can see my Parisian Pal Sandrine has been called into modeling action for me once again. Reason you're glad I'm not your friend: she had a terrible sore throat and was getting over a nasty cold, yet I still made her trudge outside for our photo shoot. Added Gallic insult: the cowl was still semi-damp. Yes you read that correctly, I had a French person outside wearing a semi-damp garment wrapped around her neck while the wind was sort of blowing!! This is breaking so many rules that I kind of can't believe I did. But there you have it--it's all about me and my needs.

20 comments:

Samantha said...

I can't recall if I've commented on your blog before, so let's just say I'm a lurker who found you so hilarious today I had to post and let you know I'm LOL. It looks great!

The WoodLand School said...

What a great friend (Sandrine, not you!) ... and what a wonderful cowl! :-)

nicole said...

Someone call Amnesty International.

RAD cowl!

Mandy said...

What a terrible Gallic insult! I am SO glad you aren't my friend.

Sarah said...

Sandrine clearly is in need of a completely dry and very warm knit garment to help her get over her cold (that is, if it hasn't progressed to pneumonia by now). She's a good sport and clearly a good friend because she appreciates the need for good FO blog photos.

caro said...

It was definitely worth the slog though, it's gorgeous!

kim said...

Such a good friend. I must admit, if I were her, I would have waited for the last photo to snap and run like the wind that cool scarf.

Mereknits said...

She looks beautiful and definitely not sick. You did a great job. I just finished the big red monster or better known as a blanket for my son. He is 6 feet tall and I swear I almost killed myself before it was done. Have a wonderful day,
Meredith

Felix said...

I am also LOL over here at your hilarious writing, but I am also kinda glad I do not live near enough to you to get roped into a photo-shoot involving damp yarn ON MY NECK!

However, on balance, I might decide that demonstrating the extreme veratility of the cowl did in fact demand such sacrifices. Because it does look wonderful.

Soooooo much ribbing though...

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAH *deep breath* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You're terrible and it's hilarious...I'm so glad it's not just me who abuses their friends :D

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

Too funny !!! Though your cowl took you to H--- and back, it's beautiful. Oh and the gouging of the eyes is never good.

choo choo knits said...

she is tres jolie...and tres CRAZY (I translated that correctly, right?). But I know many of us would willingly model naked in the winter snow for you because you're just plain awesome :o)

beautiful job

margaux said...

29 inches of ribbing/stockinette... yes i would get delusional too!! it looks beautiful!! what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, I say!

Yarnhog said...

Oh, dear. And she survived?

And...a 41" long cowl? Dude. I thought I had a long neck!

It's gorgeous, by the way.

Joan said...

Oh dear Lord, "les courants d'air!"

I can't believe you are still her friend. You must have knitted her something really nice!

Anonymous said...

She is a friend to keep! I hope she is feeling better by now.
The cowl is beautiful.
You are knitting something warm and pretty for her now, right?

WonderMike said...

It really is MONDO versatile, but you're right... you are CRUEL. Your new nickname is MARQUISE. :)

Chelsea said...

What a lovely friend you have, and a beautiful scarf as well.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for you and your needs, because where would the rest of us be without them? It looks wonderful.

knitizen said...

ROFLMAO. you.are.so.funny.

love reading your blog.