Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Two thousand zero zero party over oops out of time...*

Child's Placket Neck Sweater in STR Heavyweight 'Jade'
I am one of those people who just loves the instant gratification of the weekend project. Many of my long haul WIPs know this because they are accustomed to the feeling of being tossed aside for the steamy interlude that the flash-in-the-pan projects (such as the Habitat or the Gloria cowl) seem to offer. But they are learning to deal with the rejection, such is life in my House of Knitting Pain. In any case, I am now adding baby sweater to my list of quickies. This baby was on and off the needles in about the time it took for the stock market to completely bottom out. And since the Curmudgeon's stock is almost exclusively in Merrill-Lynch, nothing says let's party like it's 1999 like a FO photo shoot!
Child's Placket Neck Sweater in STR Heavyweight 'Jade'
I made this for my hair dresser, as she's having her first baby in early November. I've always wanted to make something for her because a. she never questions my dubious requests and gives me the craven stripper blonde hot ironed straight hair to which I am so pathetically attached, b. knows to not talk to me when I am counting a row and c. always let's me try on the Jessica Simpson hair extensions and fulfill my private drag queen fantasies. She also never tries to shame me into getting a trim. In other words, she's everything you want in a hair stylist and more.
Child's Placket Neck Sweater in STR Heavyweight 'Jade'
The Specs
Pattern: The Child's Neck Placket Sweater in LMKG
Needles: Size 7 addi turbo
Yarn: Socks the Rock Heavyweight in Jade
Mods: None that were intentional but I think I botched the placement of the neck placket. For this reason I will not be entering this gem into the farm show because I would just be handing my head on a platter to them and asking them to hose me, and I am not going down like this.
Child's Placket Neck Sweater in STR Heavyweight 'Jade'
This pattern is truly, truly one of the easiest baby sweaters out there. Someone we know even finished one in a day! I am not quite sure what happened to the placement of the placket, but I'm calling it a design feature and moving on. STR Heavyweight was just born to be used in this manner, I strongly recommend making more garments out of it. Someone else we know is planning a FLS in the Heavyweight, and I am sure it's going to be kind of a big deal.



31 comments:

Kirsten said...

I've been making baby items lately myself. For an "older" knitter (okay, maybe I should rephrase that, older knitblogger) who is past that childbearing stage of life (god willing), it is odd to know so many who are expecting. I think it's time I have another look at this pattern. Yours is adorable "design feature" and all.

Now to find stash yarn since we don't have ANY money any more. Yep, nothing like having the main bread winner employed in the financial services industry these days. Good times.

melissa said...

this sweater is freakin' adorable. lucky kid!

sophanne said...

I'm adding it to my queue. AWeSomE sweater.

Alison said...

Love that green! Pretty sure this one is in my queue- need to bump it up the list.

I'm resisting the urge to lean in close and count sts on either side of the placket- design element it is, a little assymetry is all the rage with the hottest babies right now... or else it should be, eh?

Love it!

Happy knitting-
ali

YawnOver said...

Hmmm...I think I love your hairdresser. You are too funny.

The sweater is adorable and would be a great excuse to pick up some STR. If only I could coerce someone else into having a baby for me to shower with knits, *sigh*

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous in this color! Wow!

Anonymous said...

Your hair dresser definitely sounds worthy of getting a hand knit baby sweater. Looks great!

I could be finishing the 4 sweaters I have on the go, but yes it's hard to resist the occassional one or two day projects.

Karen said...

Great sweater. And, great hairdresser!!!! When I knit one, the placket didn't quite come out right either. I ended up leaving off the buttons and just folding it down into a sort of v-neck. It's hard to explain, but it looked cute.

Sonya said...

Cute sweater! Now that I've seen how fast Minty knits I'm not at all surprised that she cranked one out in a day. I love your hairdresser. I just tried a new one for a trim and walked out thinking I'm never going there again. So hard to find a good one.

Sarah said...

So adorable! I'm sure she is going to love it and be so appreciative -- and I'm pretty sure she won't notice anything about a placket. (Heck, I don't even know anything about plackets, so it looks great to me!)

Yarnhog said...

I'm sure she'll love it. And I love your description of the perfect hairdresser! My perfect hairdresser does exactly what she wants with my hair and doesn't ask for my input--which works out well for both of us. I completely failed "girly," so having someone else to make those decision for me is just better.

nicole said...

Now "I" want to play with jsimp extensions... And dude, I CANNOT believe you don't have TMZ tv show in your parts. Why, that show is as American as high heels for babies: http://www.heelarious.com/index.php

(I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray)

Oh yah, the knitting. Great sweater. Love the use of STR. F#ck the farm show.

weezalana said...

Cute cute cute! Those damn farm show judges - they wouldn't know a design feature if we swatted them in the face with one.

P.S. Irishgirlieknits made her FLS out of STR Heavyweight and it's gorgeous!

Angela said...

Adorable sweater. Hairdressers are key to one's happiness. I've now followed my guy to three salons. Last week, after my haircut and color (damn those pesky gray hairs), I went on a "date" wtih him and his new beau. He has helped me through some rough seas the past few years. (He's a former social worker, so I got the therapy tossed in with the highlights.)

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

How cute is that? I wish I knew some little BB's to knit for. Your HD will love it!! My downfall is scarves. I can't resist knitting scarves and they do get in the way of sweaters.

indieknits said...

Very cute!

a friend to knit with said...

i want YOUR hairdresser!!!

she is going to love this sweater!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I won't even tell you that until this very moment, I always thought the words were, "Two thousand TIL zero...." Yeah..... Ahem.... anyway, very cute sweater. My hairdresser (read sister) TELLS me what I will and won't like. And I listen to her because she is 12 years younger than I am. I guess she knows better....

Kim said...

Effing adorable! I wish my hair dresser would let me try on hair extensions. A couple weeks ago I bought myself a blond mullet wig. My BIL works for Lehman Bros. and no longer has a job. The dark days are here.

nova said...

So this was one skien of STR-Heavy? Huh. I have not knit this. I too like instant knitting gratification. I need to knit the kid in utero something besides a skimpy pair of booties. I do like this...huh.

Erin said...

This really is adorable. And your stylist does indeed sound worthy of such adorable-ness.

Stephanie said...

Watch out quoting those Prince lyrics. You don't want him coming after you too.

Loving this yarn.

Anonymous said...

that is one fantastic looking baby sweater! Loven the color (I've been in a green mood lately.) too!

Amy said...

It's darling!!

TLCknits said...

Love it... so adorable

Anonymous said...

Totally darling--and you chose the most perfect buttons!

Anonymous said...

I'm loving this baby sweater! It looks great!

Janet said...

Can you believe that I still don't own this book? No, of course you can't!

The baby sweater looks fab in the STR heavyweight.

One of my friend's wife is knocked up, and I think I'm going to make oodles of baby gifts to celebrate! Sounds like a good reason to place an order with BMFA, yes?

At Home Mommy Knits said...

That sweater is adorable. Love the color

Jennie said...

Love the colorway you used. Sooo pretty!!

Sourire11 said...

That is completely adorable. So cute in that yarn!