Monday, January 21, 2008

Koolhaas number three

Isn't every picture of Purl the same?
Doesn't every picture of Purl look the same? They should just issue a standard shot available on the their web site for bloggers to download and use, that would just simplify the process and save you from the trouble of standing in the street. Purl is a great shop with fantastic yarn, but if you hit it at the wrong time, it can be a claustrophobic experience. Luckily I knew what I wanted and was in and out in a flash. The Curmudgeon was in tow, and even said the magic words "take as much time as you need". Can you believe this guy? He's just getting better and better with age...

Schrodinger Cube as Gift Bag
While in NY I was able to finally present in person a handknit gift to a special friend. I delivered the gift in a Schrodinger original cube. Doesn't it make a perfect little gift bag? Such a precious item indeed that will no doubt be used for mini toiletries.

Sorry for the blurriness--night time + restaurant + wine = not optimum photo shoot:
Bald Tenor in Koolhaas

No, your eyes are not deceiving you, that's another Koolhaas, number three in fact. But this was my first one in Malabrigo (Water Green). I needed to see what all the fuss was about and if it really was worthy of the hype. Well, I am here to tell you that the Malabrigo-Koolhaas combination is a winning one. I was not disappointed, and the recipient confirmed that it was truly a soft experience.

Koolhaas side shot

This will be my last Koolhaas for a while. Don't get me wrong, the pattern is a winner, and I am glad that I got to give it a whirl in Malabrigo. But knitting it any more than three times would be a little much, wouldn't it?


33 comments:

Kirsten said...

Were you there this weekend? It was bitterly cold in the city yesterday! I'm sure that Koolhaas has gotten quite a bit of use already!

weezalana said...

Love that Koolhaas! Heck, three of *any* pattern in one season would give a knitter fo fatigue.

So, how many glasses of wine does it take to lose your glasses? ;)

Karen said...

Hmmm, I guess it would be a little much. But the last three were so gorgeous . . . maybe just a few more? :)

Yarnhog said...

I would knit long underwear in Malabrigo, if I could afford it.

Great Koolhaas!

Amy said...

What a great interpretation! You're making me think of the red malabrigo I have in the stash... Too bad it's not hat weather here!

Anonymous said...

It's true, every pic of Purl looks the same--but yours is a nighttime/dusk shot, so the teal trim is darker, creating a TOTALLY different effect :)

I have totally stalled out on knitting even one Koolhaas. I don't like how frequently you have to do the crossings! I want more plain knitting between. But I love the finished look so much, and I see it everywhere I turn, so I might just power through this week. Yours are great!

Anonymous said...

Is there really such a thing as too much Koolhaas? Nah! It looks fabulous! As far as Purl goes, you MUST take the required photo.

...Sarah said...

That is a hat very well suited to the wearers head. Nice wrapping, I am a huge fan of practical (yet stylish) gift bags.

~Kristie said...

Purl looks tiny. Yikes.

I wonder why I haven't taken the leap to make Koolhaus yet? Obviously it's wonderful since you can't seem to stop. Personally, I think anything knit with Malabrigo is perfect ... perfectly soft and warm.

Looks like a great trip.

melissa said...

dude, did you knit a hat for michael stipe? or am i crazy?

i still need to knit one of these, i'm always the last one to knit the good stuff.

Jennie said...

WOW! You've made 3, gosh that's awesome. You definitely deserve a break from the pattern for a bit. :)

Sarah said...

Glad to hear it works well with Malabrigo. I wound my two green skeins earlier this afternoon, and I am thisclose to downloading the pattern and casting on (must keep the baby knits in the hands for this very reason).

I was going to say that I didn't think I'd have the mental energy to knit anything more than three times, but then I remembered all my Jaywalkers and Monkeys. Socks don't count, right?

YawnOver said...

Looks great! Suits your friend to a T. I just can't quit the Malabrigo lately. Good to know it works for koolhaus - I've been wanting to cast on.

nicole said...

Boy that picture sure looks familiar! Glad you got a chance to pop in. But you're right, it can be a little tight in there.

Great, great hat. But then again, I'm a malabrigo/jared junkie, so I'm a bit biased.

Kim said...

Great Purl photo! I think you are Koolhaas'd out. Love Koolhaas #3!

Anonymous said...

Did you knit a Koolhaas for Michael Stipe?

Sonya said...

That really looks like Michael Stipe. Koolhaas and Shedir are perfect for the bald.

WonderMike said...

Super Cute hat.
Super Cute subjects.
Super Cute Yarn Store.
You are so Super Cute!!!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous #3 - The name and the hat suit the wearer perfectly!!

peaknits said...

Ehat an awesome trip! And your Koolhaas - rocks! I think a three-fer could go on to be many more hats - something this good can hardly be set aside!:)

schrodinger said...

You know I LOVE to see where the cubes are going! Thanks :) I love the hat, dying to try it myself someday. And it looks as though the gift-ee loves it too.

Anonymous said...

Very nice Koolhaus!

Laura said...

I haven't knit anything with Malbrigo yet!! Oh, the shame!

Anonymous said...

Ah, man! I, too, think your friend looks like Micheal Stipe! Is he?

Anyway, COOL hat!

Janet said...

Someone in the Malabrigo Junkies group on ravelry knit NINE (!!!!) Koolhaas'. Can you imagine?

I like this one. And you know my feelings about Malabrigo. Yum.

Sourire11 said...

Three is accpetable... Four and you might just be on a bender. Lovely hat, though! And the cube is pretty sweet, too.

Knitting Bandit said...

Three? Okay. I have no excuse! I've tried threee times. I will try a fourth time this time with Malabrigo!

KnitPastis said...

Wow! I love this hat in this same colorway and yarn. Looks so good!

Knitterella said...

Ah! I would love to go to Purl!

Your Koolhass looks great! (I actually just finished my first - still need to blog it) Love the 'cube' that you used for a gift bag. It's perfect!

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

Such a great hat. Does he love it to death?

One of these days, I am going to see Purl for myself.

Nana Sadie said...

Since I'm still trying to get through my FIRST Koolhaas, I'm having trouble imagining 3 - but your's are gorgeous!
(((hugs)))

Knittymuggins said...

Ooooh, lucky pal!! I still have that one on my list....

knittymuggins

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

Thought I'd mention, my son thinks the hat, and it's recipient"rock", he's a fan. I may have to make him one for his very own.