Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Can't.Stop.Must.Make.More.

Get the point?
My house has been transformed into a Meathead Knitting Factory as I simply can't stop making these hats. I missed the knitalong craze last year and felt positively taunted by the delightful hats that were madly popping (up) like popcorn on Flickr and Bloglines. Being on the outside looking in isn't such great place to be for this knitter--I even contemplated emailing the mighty Larissa and offering to give her a tidy sum for the privilege to get in on the Meathead game, but I didn't want to come across as impolite, or worse yet, weird. So imagine my pure delight when Miss Leslie i.e. one of the hottest knitbabes out there, posted her Hershey's Meathead along with a comment that Larissa was indeed selling the pattern via pdf to knitters who are too craven or impatient to wait for her much anticipated book Knitalong. So $4.50 on Paypal later, I was in business.
Meathead assembly line!
This pattern is satisfying many needs at once. I have spent no (recent) money on yarn for these hats, can you believe it? Being that I have gobs of chunky and super chunky yarn in my stash from the early pre-discipline days of just randomly buying yarn before you really understood what you were going to do with it (as opposed to the rigorous regime of discipline that I'm so clearly adhering to these days), I already had loads of yarn that would fit the Meathead bill. The knit is super-fast, and the pleasure of thinking of an appropriate embellishment is not to be underestimated. Plus, there is the joy of wearing a hat that makes people wonder if you are either a gnome, a character from an Elsa Beskow book, or just plain crazy. Talk about killing many birds with one stone!
Meathead mosaic
Above you see Meatheads in Karabella Soft Tweed--pink (3 strands), Lamb's Pride Burlyspun--fuschia, Artful Yarns Museum--green, Classic Elite Two.Two--white, and Malabrigo Chunky--blue, and Peeper-Lou. I'm going to ignore the fact that Tween thing said that I looked like 'a demented hobo' in my Meathead hat. This project is #1 with a bullet by far for 2007. Meatheads for everyone!

39 comments:

Karen said...

OMG those are so cute!!!

Kirsten said...

Love them! The green is my particular favorite, but I'm just a green lovin' girl.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

They are SO great! I love the polka-dotted flower. And your daughter looks so adorable in hers. "Demented Hobo" - HA!

Amy said...

Those are fantastic! I love your embellishments. :)

YawnOver said...

Work those meatheads, girl. I'm in a neckwarmer groove myself. Late semester is the perfect setting for repetitive, mindless knitting, yes? - so much more productive than spinning plates in a corner.

Anonymous said...

Hot damn! Love those hats. I have quite a bit of random yarn from the pre-discipline early knitting days too.

Sarah said...

They are quite adorable (especially on Peeper-Lou)! I bet it'd also be fun to do some felted knit flowers or other doodads for the embellishment.

I can imagine that they are indeed quite satisfying to knit. It's amazing how accustomed I am to knitting with fine yarn and small needles -- I'm not sure I'd know what to do with the big yarn and big needles for these. (I guess the bigger question is if I even suitable have thick yarns in my stash!)

Anonymous said...

A most addictive pattern indeed! I love me some Meatheads. Yours are great! I really like the felt embellishments.

Hmm, I wonder if I've got any yarn in the stash to knit some more....

Elissa L. said...

Love these!!

weezalana said...

I'd never heard of these until you mentioned them! Apparently, I'm SO far on the outside, I can even see the window to look into. :P

They're adorable!

Anonymous said...

Each one is cuter than the next, and your finishing touches are perfect.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic colours and embellishments - love 'em!

Anonymous said...

A meathead factory indeed! They look great.
How did you stick on the felt adornments?

Jennie said...

They are super cute!!! keep cranking them out if they make you happy because the hats would definitely make great gifts. :)

Sonya said...

So cute! I love the flowers.

peaknits said...

dimented hobo? *oops, I giggled!

The hats are great - I really love the Artyarns one and the Malabrigo, in cse you were wondering:) Nice job!

a friend to knit with said...

oh, you just crack me up!
and the queen thing must totally be distorting your image of me! :)

you truly are a machine over there! i can't believe that you haven't even put any (more) money into this project! I LOVE THAT!!!

Peeper-Lou looks adorable!!!
Everyone is going to LOVE their meathead!
have a wonderful day tomorrow!

nicole said...

hahahahahahaha who doesn't want to look like a demented hobo! I see your littlelin' has inherited your zingy wit!

Man, you're smoking me in the xmas presents department. I better get cracking.

Anonymous said...

All of the hats are adorable. But, girl, you are out of control!

Anonymous said...

My gosh, what an adorable little Meathead-family! They look so cute in their different colors - and you've made me totally curious about that pattern, I will *so* have to try it out too! ;)

KnitPastis said...

These are some beauties that you made! I never tire of seeing these in blogland. You are so CREATIVE!!
ahhh, she's too adorable in her hat.

Yarnhog said...

"Demented hobo" indeed! Gnome, I can see. Those hats are adorable--I especially love the funny flowers and leaves!

Knittymuggins said...

OMG! Can you say "freakin' fantastic"?! Love these and now I want my own! Thanks for sharing & oh how I wish I was on your Christmas list ;)

knittymuggins

Sereknitty said...

Adorable hats! The embellishments really make them 'pop'.

WonderMike said...

That's the PERFECT Xmas Gift. Super quick knit and so flippin' cute. I didn't think it possible but it's making the supermodel.... even more super. ;-)

p.s. I've been on a chunky/burly knitting jag too!

...Sarah said...

I can picture it now. You are well on your way to amassing a pointy headed army. I see a blue ribbon in your future! I am very impressed with the embellishments.

Sourire11 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Oh my god, I've been looking for a pattern like this! so adorable and a great name too :)

knitseashore said...

Too much fun to knit all those colors!

Strikkelise said...

What a pile of gorgeousness. Those colours are so yummy! I can imagine your family strolling the streets, eah in a different colour "beet" hat!
That cobblestone is lovely, too. Lucky guy.

Faith said...

You've done it to me again. Paypal, we shall be reunited. I Love these things! (And I will definitely use "demented hobo" in the future, hopefully to someone who understands.)

Anonymous said...

Love these! Hope you had a great holiday!

Anonymous said...

Your hats look wonderful! I'm so glad you're enjoying making them. I really like the fuschia one myself. :-)

Jessica said...

The hats are adorable. But I really got a chuckle at the "disciplined" comment. ;)

Olga said...

Yeah, I like Gnome hats better than meat-head, but what dah I know?? Hmm, I just might whip one up myself..

Robin said...

Those are so cute!!! I love them!

Anonymous said...

The hats are super cute, but Why do they only look good on children. I think I'll try knitting one anyway.

Dove Knits said...

The blue one is my favorite.

Octopus Knits said...

Wowie, zowie! You have indeed started a Meathead Knitting Factory! So cute!