Thursday, August 02, 2007

My (DD) cup runneth over...

Kipling shoulder detail
In case you all were thinking that I was becoming a one-trick sock pony, I present to you a FO of another sort: Kipling!
Back of Kipling
Pattern: Kipling, available for free at Yarn Abuse
Yarn: Jeannee from Plymouth Yarns, color #7, 1.5 skeins
Needles: size 7
Front of Kipling

This pattern was a delight, thanks to Kim for making available a baby project that just flies off the needles and was one of the simplest, quickest baby knits ever. If you can believe it, this was this yarn snob's first time around with--gasp--acrylic. Jeannee is 51% cotton and 49% acrylic, and was a pleasure to work with. The acrylic gives the fabric a lovely sheen and helps maintain the shape of the cotton. And since it's not going to be touching my body, I can fully endorse the acrylic content of this yarn. Shhhh! Don't tell anyone that a former dévotée of the Preppy Handbook is making that statement.

This sweater is destined for a first time grad student mother in our department, and I can't wait to give it to her.
Can you stand how cute the collar is? Is there anything more fun that knitting for a newborn? Kipling: Highly recommended, a satisfying knit.

Look, I told you all that I had insanely good luck. Still skeptical? Well yesterday I received the Red Rocks yarn pictures below in the mail from the very lovely Courtney over at (prepare yourselves for the best blog name ever) Yarntootin'.
Red Rocks in California Raspberry Lite

Yee-haw! And one of my favorite bloggers (and soon to be ex
huisvrouw) out there Jen of Knitting Sutra is sending me some fantastic yarn from the Netherlands, just because I rustled up some interest in her contest. Honestly! And if you don't hate me already, I won some killer swag over chez Lone Knitter as well. Please know that there is a dark underside to my consistent winning of blog contests. I attribute it to the fact that the Internet is basically a soft addiction for me at this point. Yes, this summer Bloglines, Ravelry and I have logged a lot of hours together. It's been a non-stop ménage à trois. But alas the torrid summer romance will have to come to an end as other paycheck-related duties come to the fore. But we have had a hell of a time together.

38 comments:

Romi said...

OOoooooooh. Pretty yarn. :drool:

Love the baby sweater, too!

Anonymous said...

I love the Kipling sweater. I had started it last week with Mission Falls Cotton but stopped because I couldn't get the collar right. Now you've inspired me to try again!

Congrats on your loot!

Anonymous said...

I love the sweater too - simple and gorgeous - perfect!

Lolly said...

WOW, is that cute or what! I love it!

Nice yarn too ;)

Tammy said...

Congrats! You must be lucky! Or maybe I'm just very unlucky... because I'm tellin' you right now, I could enter every blog contest in the world and never win!

Love the yarn!

...Sarah said...

O.K. wait a minute, are we breaking up? Please tell me this isn't the end! After all, aren't friends more important than money? ;—)

I love the sweater, the collar is way too cute. And what a lucky girl you are, that yarn is gorgeous.

Sonya said...

Your cup runneth all over the place! That is a totally adorable baby sweater. I don't love acrylic, but it really serves a purpose with cotton.

sophanne said...

very great baby sweater- you're such a winnah!

I'm with you on the back to reality paycheck business. The Letter came today.

*insert cursing like a pirate*

Anonymous said...

That sweater is cute! And I really like the labels on that yarn.

Laura said...

Very cute! I think it's okay to use arcylic, as long as it's not more than half of the fibre content (I'm a total fibre snob too).

YawnOver said...

Love the baby sweater, and natural was a perfect color choice for that pattern. And damn, that is some fine swag - even the labels are gorgeous ;)

YawnOver said...

Oh, and about the Preppy Handbook - heh, heh. I was also a fan. We date ourselves.

Angela said...

I'm not sure how old I was when I eally got that "The Preppy Handbook" was a parody, but it did function as a very handy manual. I still have my copy AND my Bermuda Bag.

Karen said...

That baby sweater is the cutest thing I've ever seen. Little babies are so fun to knit for - I'm definitely a quick project kind of girl. :) That yarn is so awesome too - you lucky blogger!!

Kirsten said...

Very cute baby sweater, and oh my, that yarn! Must follow link to Red Rocks!

Pheelya said...

The baby sweater is sooooooooooo adorable!!

Olga said...

OOOO-you is one lucky lucky dawg!!!
I love that yarn colorway, I'm such a sucker for bright happy colors!!

Alana said...

Okay.... I'm turning green! All that awesome loot, and a cute baby sweater besides! I've GOT to check out some of that yarn!

I, too, see my summer affair with my computer coming to a close. We must be in the same "line of work"!!!! Late the other night when my son got home he asked me what I actually do on the computer all the time. He seems to think I'm on it every time he sees me. I, however, feel that the problem is his. He must be delusional!

Veronique said...

Now that is some serious luck! Damn!

Yarnhog said...

Cute, cute baby sweater! And that yarn is gorgeous. (My yarn buying is being temporarily curtailed as a result of my recent wheel purchase, so I'll have to enjoy yours vicariously. Buy more. I'm suffering withdrawal.)

JulieFrick said...

Heatherheatherheather! Guess what I just received in the mail? It's BEAUTIFUL! How did you part with it? Now....what to knit?

Anonymous said...

That is an adorable baby sweater! I love the neutral color.

Senora Fuerte said...

Hey, I won stuff from Lone Knitter, too! I seem to be pretty lucky with blog contests too. Congrats on all your new booty!!!

Don't let Anxiety put down roots. :)

whirleymarge@hotmail.com

Ashley said...

Ooof, I so feel you. Fall is going to mean serious withdrawal. Whaddaya mean you want me to teach, not read blogs?

That sweater is adorable--thanks for the link!

Woman who knits said...

OMG!! I love Kipling!! My new one might need one!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!

I'm addicted to blogland too. At least we're all admitting our problem! It's great you're winning. No harn in that!!!

~Kristie said...

I just love that baby sweater. It's absolutely precious (even if you did use acrylic) ;-)

iSeL said...

Kipling is truly adorable. The new mommy is surely going to love it and you.
So jealous of your blog luck; that yarn looks amazing!

Unknown said...

That sweater is adorable. Definitely something to add to the baby knitting rotation.

Faith said...

My goodness! You are lightening quick! It's perfect

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

As I've said before, If it weren't for bad luck…
Pretty sweater, pretty yarn too. Sorry the party is coming to an end, at least you have a few more weeks of Sunshine and G&T's before reality sets in.

Octopus Knits said...

Kipling's really cute -- and congrats on all the winnings!

schrodinger said...

Can I come over and rub you or something? You are one lucky bunny!!!

Zarzuela said...

Very cute sweater! And lovely new yarn to boot! Congrats! :)

Jessica

Sourire11 said...

Adorable baby sweater! And I'm totally jealous of your shiny new yarn...

Anonymous said...

I love it all. I'm definitely putting that sweater on my to-knit list, it looks easy and cute as pie. And that yarn! Want.

Twisted Knitter said...

Congratulations on the big score -- lovely colors and the label is just so pretty!

Kipling looks like a perfect baby sweater. I loved working with the Jeannee and it washed so nicely.

Anonymous said...

As a fan of simple, classic sweaters for babies, I just love that pattern! I'm bookmarking it.

I'm glad to hear all your internet time is yielding you some good loot! And what is summer for, if not to indulge all of your less-than-productive habits for a while, anyway?

Knitting Bandit said...

Darling sweater. You are quite the enabler with all these links to gorgeous yarn!