Monday, October 02, 2006

A new fall romance



I have always loved the change of seasons, and perhaps no season augers better for knitters than fall. I am loving the new projects I've been working on and am so relieved to put some of those dastardly summer projects away. Green Gable, you were a gas for about 3 weeks in July, but frankly the romance is over and we'll have to pick up where we left off next spring--seeya! Ditto for you Lisa Knits Ribbed Shell. You're offically on ice and out of the rotation. Casting aside these erstwhile projects has given me time to devote to more long standing relationships. During the past several weeks I've rekindled my affair with Klaralund (where there's only remaining about 5 inches on one sleeve) and last year's Christmas sleeve is now a full-grown sweater, just delivered today to the finisher. Yes, I am an aristocrat... No seaming for me! I am really excited about my newest technique--Fair Isle knitting. I took a class at my LYS on Friday and made both hats over the weekend--yes, I said both hats. Both are in Peer Gynt, that retro Scandihoovian classic yarn that has not changed its label in about 50 years. Need less to say I am gaga over Fair Isle. I know that part of my interest stems from the fact that my great aunt owned a yarn shop in Manchester, England and was supposedly a master Fair Isle knitter. My mom says that as a child she remembers sitting at her feet watching her work all of those different strands without looking at her hands. In any case, I feel like suddenly my brain has opened up and knitting is brand new again. We learned the Philosopher's Wool yarn technique, which requires your left hand to knit Continental and your right hand to knit English. Sounds kooky, huh? At first knitting continental felt like driving on the wrong side of the road, but now I am in love with it. Out teacher was so patient and her kindness reminds me of one of the things I like best about knitting--the transmission of knowledge that happens between knitters. I enjoy being part of that. As you can see, I'm super excited about this new development and I'm sure it's only a matter of time until I become a major Kaffe Fassett hag.

10 comments:

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

Cool Hats! Fair Isle is something I have yet to attempt. Nice clean colour combos too. I'm impressed.

Anonymous said...

wow, you just learned fair isle and you knit those hats? wow, Heather your amazing!

The A.D.D. Knitter said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I swear, it's actually easy! I know I sound crazy, but it's true!

Lone Knitter said...

Does this mean that you're a natural-born knitter? Or that maybe fair isle skills can be inherited like skin or eye color? Wow. That is a pretty neat skill to pick up so quickly!

Karen said...

I love them!!! Now I want to learn Fair Isle!!! RIGHT NOW!!

Unknown said...

Fairisle is one of those things that intimidates people, like dpns. It is really actually easy. I do love those hats.

Melissa said...

Those hats are so cute! I've never tried fair isle, but I think I'll do it soon!

Anonymous said...

Those hats are wonderful! Congrats on learning Fair Isle and loving it! I think Fair Isle is in your genes :-).

Anonymous said...

The hats: too cute!! Time to go cross country skiing! Glad you got your knitting groove back!