Wednesday, March 08, 2006

You gotta know when to fold 'em...


As that famed purveyor of chicken fried steak once sang, "you gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run...". And this girl is PACKING IT IN. This is me--FOLDING. I am refering to a certain sleeve of a certain Scandinavian/Japanese project. Said sleeve has been put away and will be returned to at a later date when enthusiasm and patience are not lacking. I spent the entire weekend in Bergen County, NJ with the inlaws save one trip to Majestic Yarns in Ridgewood, NJ where I used a gift certificate and got some beautiful Marble yarn from Karabella. I spent hours and hours of knitting on the sleeve and made unsatisfactory progress--so after much soul searching, this project is being put on the back burner. I figure that at some point it will be fun again, but now it's vaguely traumatic. It is the knitting equivalent of a hamster-wheel. You just keep going round and round but you don't actually get anywhere.
The decision to temporarily suspend the above project frees me to either a. work on another unfinished project (drag) or b. start up another project (yes, pick that one!). So without further ado I am going to begin my next project which is either the Hourglass sweater from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts or the Marble Shawl-collar Sweater from Karabella or maybe even the Gesta vest, although that pattern is from the Cornelia Tuttle Hamilton book that the above-mentioned sleeve is from, so that one is slightly unlikely. We'll see!

2 comments:

Renaissancewriter said...

YOur blog turned up this morning and I loved the read. I have a new ADD blog about life with Adders, and also love to create things, and you have a great sense of humor.
Thanks for the insights into getting through the days and being happy.

Rissa said...

There is no shame in setting a project aside until you are in a better head space. I am a frogger...hey maybe that is why I always liked that video game...but I digress. :-) Unlike crochet, when I screw up in knitting, I have to rip it out and try again. I once reknit the same heel SIX times. hehehe