Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Note to self: just knit



Sometimes I feel like I get so wrapped up in the para-knitting activities of going to different yarn stores and comparing and contrasting what they have vs. what's in my stash vs. what I actually need--which if we're talking need-- is no yarn until at least 2009, reading knitting magazines that for the most part suck and have impractical designs made of hideous yarn (not you Interweave Knits but Vogue Knitting and Knitters, if the shoe fits....), obsessively checking my blog and about 15 others blogs (no, not just for buttons, I do actually read the content AND post comments) that I waste alot of time that I could actually just be knitting. One of the reasons that knitting initially appealed to me was that there was a tactile pleasure involved. Somehow with all of the obsessing about the activities that surround knitting I've gotten away from the pleasure of the fibre itself. So during this knitting Olympiad I am also going to set a new challenge for myself, that of just knitting.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doesn't Nike have some slogan about this?

Lone Knitter said...

Hi, ADD Knitter. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I'm using "Supersocke" for my socks. It's made by "On-line," a yarn company in Germany. I'm not quite sure yet it I love it enough to buy more, being a newbie sock knitter. I have some Lorna's Laces that I'm going to use for my next pair. I LOVE the name of your blog.

Persnickety Knitter said...

Yeah, I can relate to "obsessing about the activities that surround knitting." However, I prefer to think of it as gathering knitting inspiration -- not that I really need much more inspiration. But you need to stay current in the world of knitting, right? Right? ;)
By the way, the 'crunchy' yarn is Bartlett yarns 2ply.
Good luck with Klaralund.

Rissa said...

Just 2009? If it were measured in terms of need, I don't think I could ever buy any more yarn in my life time. Of course, I have been at this longer than most. I finally parted with some old acrylic with which I had somehow managed form a sentimental bond. Just because I remember buying it when I was teenager does not convey special status. I finally donated it to charity. Knitting is good, but the adjunct stuff is good too...I have this thing about collecting patterns...I never use them...but I like having them for inspiration. Repeat after me...yarn is pretty, knitting makes you feel good, you need yarn to knit, so yarn is pretty good! :-D