Thursday, August 31, 2006

Der Magic loop ist ausgezeitnicht!


I'm still running on fumes from my visit to Minneapolis and all my stellar acquisitions. Yarnzilla was still the primo stop, and Yarnzilla owner Linda made an interesting observation that got me thinking. She commented that "knitters should always try to learn new techniques to keep things new and interesting". In the spirit of her comment I got the Fiber Trends Magic Loop Booklet and decided to try this much vaunted technique. Having recently experienced several pesky breakages and unfortunate warping incidents with my wooden dpns, I figured I was ready for a change. You know I love those addi turbos and get a frisson every time I have an excuse to buy a new set. The directions were indeed very straightforward and in no time at all I was Magic Looping it to beat the band. I'll see how complicated the whole heel gusset scenario is and probably judge the Magic loop based on that, because I finally have that treachurous series of steps totally down on dpns and can turn any heel in my sleep, people. So this had better rock me, Amadeus, or it'll be Auf Wiedersehen to you, Magic Loop.
I'm using that Austermann Step mit Aloe Vera und Jojoba öl, and let me just say that I just love it when knitting allows me to break out my high school German! I'm glad to be learning a new technique and gratified that it's easier that I had imagined it to be. I am also curious: are there any techniques that you have been itching to try?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

seriously? Knitting in my sleep! heehee ; )
I'm planning on signing up for the toe up sock class at Stitch your Art out this fall.

Karen said...

Looks like you're doing great with The Loop of Magic. :) I have such a list of new things to learn - Magic Loop, lace knitting, intarsia, Fair Isle. Umm, that's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there are probably more. LOL

Melissa said...

I plan to try the socks on 2 circs method within the month. I hope I "get" it.

Lone Knitter said...

Oh no! Another magic looper! Are you liking it yet? I enjoy it because it's so easy to stick in my purse and go crazy on the subway. The gusset will be a piece of cake for you. There are so many suggestions out there for what to do with it comes time to do the gusset, but I'm sure your intuition will guide you.

Anonymous said...

ok, I've been out of the knitting world for a while. I've never heard of Magic Looping before. What exactly is it? I want to try it. I'm going to try learning to do socks with two circular needles and working from the toe up. Magic Loop...hmmm...I'm going to google this.