Wednesday, July 05, 2006

World Cup Knitting, cont'd...


Ok, so maybe the World Cup isn't so great for working on projects that require concentration, like the Fiber Trends Leaf Lace Socks pictured above. I'm doing them in Sandnes Lanett superwash merino ull (love those Norwegians and their wacky letter combinations!). My LYS owner told me I needed to challenge myself this summer, so I decided to give them a try. I honestly love anything with a leaf motif and green is by far my favorite color. They are coming along nicely and it is fun to see the leaf pattern slowly emerge.

Knitting and watching football didn't exactly help my Lisa Knits Ribbed Shell either, come to think of it. I got so carried away that I dispensed with the whole swatch concept--I know, I deserve every bit of sorrow I brought upon myself--and ended up with 5 inches lengthwise of the back of a garment that my intrepid LYS owner figured out would basically measure out to be about 70 inches around the bust! Now, those who know me know that I am well endowed, as the French say, il y a du monde au balcon. But not 70 inches worth, that's a rack that even the luscious Mamie Van Doren herself couldn't lay claim to! So I frogged that sucker, started over and now have a much more appropriately sized tank on the needles. I predict I will finish it just in time for the chill of September...


A project I am super-jazzed about and totally motivated to finish is the Tank Top with Peplum. Luckily I can knit this project and watch the games with little trouble. It's from the Nashua Handnits Vacation Leaflet and is being done in Nashua Cilantro. The peplum edge was a challenge, but now it's smooth sailing on the bodice. It's being done in the round which is my new favorite way to do sweaters--I figure I should be ready for the Hourglass after this project.

I am eagerly awaiting the final World Cup match on Sunday but my loyalties are divided...as a red-blooded American female how can I resist the chiseled good looks of the Italian team, esp. Buffon and Toni? But as a French teacher how can I not support les Bleus? Such a dilemma...

6 comments:

Karen said...

That tank is going to be beautiful. And I agree, with all those hot Italian men, it was hard to knit and watch World Cup togehter. And I don't even follow soccor . . . but with players like that, I watched the whole game yesterday. :)

Sherri said...

Oh my! Those socks are just beautiful! My favorite shade of green! I am going to have to try that pattern...love them!

Melissa said...

The socks look awesome! :)
A 70 inch bust?!? Hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Love your socks and your tanks! Look at you go! : )

Anonymous said...

I love your web site girlfriend. I too am a crazed knitter. Would love to knit the socks and sweater. Hope to see you soon.

Anonymous said...

That green beer cozy is fabulous! Should come in handy at the next BBQ!

I'm not crazy about the tan bookmark, but mainly cuz reading really isn't my thing. Exquisite pattern, tho.

But of course my favorite is the pink micro-mini for cats! Sassy, yet practical. A winning combination!

Vive la France!
Vive Lac Du Bois!