Friday, November 27, 2009

Vestvember: OWNED

Back-to-School U-Neck Vest in Ella Rae Classic
How could I not participate in an event so appealing as Vestvember? It has all the hallmarks of a perfect knitting scenario for me: a proscribed time-period (the entire month of November), a specific type of project (vest) a nutty name (Vestvember?), and finally the communal daisy chain aspect (hey we're all in this together). The time frame makes the whole endeavor seem time-sensitive which does tend to light a fire under me, and the fact that a vest had to be made makes it a knitting with constraints project, similar to the writing with constraints concept, which I find completely freeing, and I just love me a group project. So it had been written even before the Flickr & Ravelry groups came to be: Vestvember was ON.

Back-to-School U-Neck Vest in Ella Rae Classic
I had set out to initially do the Honeycomb, but the finer gauge and the stitch pattern sank my battleship in no time flat. And the increasing/decreasing non-directions didn't help much either. Come on! We're paying you to be explicit in your directions, pattern writer. Oh wait it's Kntty, nevermind:) You know that feeling of futility that washes over you and lets you know that something is not to be? Welcome to the Honeycomb experience. NEXT! [I will add that given that I had to make an xl, I was dissuaded from this pattern, but I know all you size 0s in the crowd would make mincemeat out this lovely pattern.]

Back-to-School U-Neck Vest in Ella Rae Classic
Luckily I had a back-up project in the offing and set about making it happen. Last year I bought some Ella Rae Classic to make Leslie's Libby sweater (wizard pattern from a love of a person) but Peeper-Lou's initial enthusiasm ("oh yes, please make it for me!") quickly turned to lukewarm wavering ("I might wear it to church") to downright refusal ("take me to Abercrombie so I can spend my gift card"). Yes, consumer death culture has our children in their grips and doesn't seem to be letting go any time soon. I am now left with the sad realization that the knitting for my own kids window has closed. Leslie: I love you , and my child is not worthy of your greatness. This meant that I had 4 skeins of yarn, i.e., the perfect vest amount.

Back-to-School U-Neck Vest in Ella Rae Classic
The Specs:
Pattern: The Back-to-School U-Neck Vest by Stefanie Japel in Fitted Knits
Yarn: Ella Rae Classic, color #117, 3.25 skeins. The yarn is a perfect sub for Cascade 220, which is to say that it's nothing you are going to ohh and ahh about, but it will do you right.
Needles: Size 7
Mods: None! Not a one.

Back-to-School U-Neck Vest in Ella Rae Classic

The pattern is a lot of fun and it has it all: ribbing, waffle stitch, hubba-hubba bust darts and a funky garter/stockinette edging. The u-neck is a fun, unexpected touch. The directions are among the clearest and easiest I've ever read. The book also has several other super enticing projects as well, so I highly recommend it.

My Dad and I: Back to School U-Neck & Dr. G's
This past week my parents have been visiting for the holiday, which has afforded me the opportunity to do a father/daughter vest photo shoot. Last Christmas I made him the Dr. G's Memory Vest, a pattern for which I have nothing but laudatory praise and high esteem. The money goes to the Alzheimer's Foundation. If you are looking for a special vest project, this deserves your attention. Madame Kapur is a raving made genius, as evidenced by her newest vest, which has me gasping for breath...

19 comments:

Rose said...

Looks great! What a great photo of you and your dad, both in knitted vests. I'm still plodding along on my little projects.

nicole said...

You not only own vestvember, you signed, sealed and delivered it! What a lovely thing you made (Peep and the others will come around, eventually).

And oooh, I love seeing that sweet photo of you and your pops, and re-reading that great post you wrote about him. That David Letterman clip still kills me.

Happy happy thanksgiving, dear Heather!

Kerry said...

What a gorgeous vest! I'm currently knitting a Dr. G for my dad and I love it too. I can't wait to get it done for him for Christmas. Hopefully THIS Christmas. LOL

earthchick said...

As you know, I think this is totally fab and looks smashing on you. Once upon a time, this was going to be the first thing I knit from that book. I suppose it still could be since I've knit nothing else from it, even though it has multiple gorgeous projects.

I am sad to know that the kid knitting window eventually closes, b/c I have not done well at all at knitting for kids very much. I always figured I'd be more motivated to do so once they were big enough not to be growing out of a sweater one season after I'd knit it (or, uh, before I even finished it!).

Love the photo of you and your dad. Hope you have a great rest of the weekend.

peaknits said...

What a gorgeous vest - I love the color! And the picture of you and your dad is pretty awesome - I remember watching his video - when he was on the tonight show? I am drooling over Kirsten's vest - I just wish those test knitters would get he lead out...okay, I'll be patient, I mean it's been like 3 minutes.

Bertha said...

Holy crap you are the spitting image of your dad! You both look fabulous in your vests!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I'm not really a vest person, but that one is quite pretty

Alison said...

I love that you got that pic of you and your dad in knit vests- it's a great shot, something you can treasure for years and years!
Happy Vestvember to you!

Sarah said...

Aw, look at you two in your vests! Such a nice photo!

Cynthia said...

What a sweet picture of you and your dad in those wonderful vests!

Preeti said...

Another winner and I do love the picture of the vest wearing father-daughter duo, awww!

Knittymuggins said...

That color is absolutely gorgeous on you! And I love the sweet photo of you and your Dad :)

Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful!

knittymuggins

Rose said...

Hello again; I have had to block access to my blog due to my crazy ex-husband. Please email me at knitblogger@cox.net if you'd like to be added to my authorized users list. Thanks!

Danielle said...

I managed to finish my vest this weekend. Photos may need to wait until December, though!

WildAutumn said...

What a lovely vest! I love purple, too. Congratulations on owning Vestvember!

Lynn said...

What a GORGEOUS vest!!!

Kathy said...

Both the vests look wonderful!

kim said...

Such a sweet post. Love the dual vest-ages. These pictures reminded me of the Letterman Utube and made me smile. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

QuiltedSimple said...

so pretty on you and love the photos
Kris