Saturday, November 07, 2009

Vestvember castings on

Bench at Canoe Creek
The above-pictured bench is one that we see every Sunday on our ramble in a local state park & is brought to you courtesy of yesterday's lovely weather. Sometimes November can be glorious. Speaking of November Vestvember...have you cast on yet?

Considering that I am basically stockpiling Felted Tweed like it were some sort of nuclear weapon and I were the potentate of a rogue state, casting on with it for a Vestvember project seemed like a foregone conclusion. On my recently concluded overly-short 36 hour trip to Chicago I brought it and the Honeycomb pattern along as I was sure that it was meant to be. Somewhere over Toledo I realized that I had sent myself on a fool's errand: size xl on size 4 needles with two cable rows as well as lazy, nebulous increase directions and my all time most hated knitting directive ever ("...and at the same time"--yo I'm not alone with my dislike of this phrase here) were going to spell trouble. I flashed forward to many hours of bitter, knitting non-enjoyment and had the good sense to rip that mother out. Although it was for the best, I was disappointed as I had been SO looking forward to knitting with this yarn...and then I remembered the most exciting pattern to beat the band had just been released: Pickadilly, people. Pickadilly.
Pickadilly in Rowan Felted Tweed "Rage"

Once in my hotel room with my robobar cocktail and macadamia nuts (what, you don't automatically do that?) I made haste to cast on for Pam's frolicky cardigan. Resolved and pleased to once again feel that glorious yarn felt itself in my hands as I knit, I spent an evening of hotel knitting bliss. And I am here to tell you that I LOVE THIS PATTERN. I haven't been this excited to start something in a long time--I'm even planning on doing the crochet edging, and I am a suck ass crocheter!

Back-to-School U-Neck Vest in Ella Rae Classic
Luckily Vestvember is still a go for me because I had the good sense to bring another project with me, one that had auto-pilot written all over it: the Back to School U-Neck vest. This is another exciting project--it's permitting me to use some Ella Rae Classic that I've had for ages. This yarn is Cascade 220's doppleganger as far as I'm concerned, and I'm loving it. One of the reasons that I'm enjoying this vest so much is that I am knitting it with the knowledge that I won't have to do sleeves for it, because sleeves are a knitting buzz kill. A sleeve is all that is standing between me and my little gamine Ingenue, and let's just say that things aren't looking good for either of us. Phooey.

12 comments:

Amy said...

Both of those projects are going to be *divine*. And your description makes me want to find a hotel and hide away knitting for the evening, stat.

Sarah said...

I'm glad you found a worthy use for your Felted Tweed. It would have been such a shame to let it languish as an FO that never would be.

yahaira said...

yeah honeycomb would drive me nuts.

I still need to start my vest, it would help if I would decide on a pattern already!!
can't wait to see yours, I've had my eye on that one for a while

lauren said...

I'm right there with you on the honeycomb pattern - boy would I ever love to wear it, but I am never never ever going to do all those cable crosses/twists.

Did you make it to Tank Noodle while you were here, btw? I hope you loved it@

kim said...

Oh, I don't know how many times "And at the same time" has f'd me over but good. Love the color on the Pickadilly.

margaux said...

I put down my honeycomb vest for a good year before i finished it due to the frustration of the "at the same time"...but i'm happy I stuck with it! Love both the projcts!! I am hoping to cast on a vest for vestvember before the 30th!! here's hopnig it might be Vesturay for me! haha

Misty said...

Best of luck on your Back to School vest! I made one last year and other than a few mods (and the fact that I'd never knit a garment before) it went pretty smoothly.

Anonymous said...

There should be no "and at the same time". I abandoned "Salt Peanuts" by Veronik Avery for precisely that reason.

tiennie said...

Can't wait to see your vestvember project! I still need to start mine!

Melanie said...

I love your blog! You're really funny (and a terrific knitter. And writer).

peaknits said...

I love Pam's new sweater too and just collected my last bit of Yorkshire Tweed for it - in "frolic" coincidentally:) Your vest is coming along wonderfully - gorgeous!

earthchick said...

Hell to the Yeah on Pickadilly. Yay! Can't wait to see yours!

My Vestvember project is on a wee time-out while I do a little spinning, a little legwarmer knitting, and a little regrouping.