Thursday, February 05, 2009

Ufserud : Norwegian for 'to buy more yarn'.

Ufserud
My quest to continue knitting from the stash has taken two steps forward and one step back. The two steps forward part is Ufserud, a Bea Ellis hat kit that I purchased last year during a fit of flickr envy and have just completed. When I ordered the kit I requested a bold red and a very white white. Upon inspection the colors just seemed way too bright, almost Bicentennialesque, and I suddenly became concerned that my hat was going to be utterly goy-tastic. So I put the kit away on the third floor and went about my usual monkey business. Then during the winter break and my visit to Minneapolis I came upon the full line of Dale of Norway Heilo at the Yarnery and it dawned on me that tweaking the colors ever so slightly (read: buying more yarn) would rectify the situation--so I switched in an oatmeal (#9331) for that brite white (#17) and the game was on.
Ufserud
The Specs
Pattern: Ufserud by Bea Ellis
Yarn: Heilo in #9331 and #4137, lining Sandes Garn Mandarin #0473
Needles: Size 5, 16 inch circ
Time: about a week
Mods: There were a few. I omitted one repeat after reading about the tendency of this pattern to go gigantic--and even with this modification this hat is big (which I don't mind). I also did a few more decrease rounds at the crown for a tighter join. And rather than sewing the lining in I did the old provisional cast-on and knit the lining together with the working yarn after a few inches.
Ufserdud
Pigeonroof Handspun Merino in Pea Soup

In addition to the new Heilo mentioned above, I also recently had the good fortune to obtain a super luscious skein of the much coveted Pigeonroof Studios handspun heavy worsted merino in 'Pea Soup'. I had no idea a. how unbelievably appealing this stuff was and b. how impossible it is to get your hands on it. I stumbled upon the Etsy site and there was this one skein left--my survivor/self-preservation instincts kicked in (?) and I selfishly nabbed it. Just in time for Handspun February! I have 145 yds. of this--any ideas?

30 comments:

The WoodLand School said...

The hat is completely fantastic. You *needed* the oatmeal color to make it work ... so it doesn't really count as buying new yarn ; )

Julie said...

It's perfect (and MUCH more wearable) with the oatmeal. I tried to do a red/white christmas hat for my daughter and it was too much even for a 1 yr old... I had to change to a cream color. Yours is very sophisticated!

Amy said...

The hat is beautiful, and right on about the oatmeal color. And oh MAN, that handspun! My god, that's gorgeous.

Kirsten said...

The oatmeal did the trick.

As for the Pigeonroof, that is a sweet score. I'm beyond trying to get the stuff these days. I always miss out even when I know there's going to be an update. I find that the best projects for handspun are simple - hats, mittens. Garter stitch really shines in handspun. Have fun with it.

peaknits said...

The hat is fabulous - I love it! The Oatmeal is a score. And that PRS - omg, yum-o! I love everything PRS...and Handspun February - another great thing. I agree that garter stitch seems to showcase hs best, but I personally like to just keep it in the skein sometimes and look at it:)

Heather said...

Pigeonroof is my favy fav. The hat is great, love the color combo. Funny how a tiny change in shade makes all the difference.

Sarah said...

Nice score on the handspun! You are very lucky to have found that. I'm still trying to get my hands on some of her roving.

Hmm, what to make? Well, something special, that's for sure. Hat? Cowl? Scarflet?

knithound brooklyn said...

I admire your good color instincts. Like all the others, I agree the oatmeal was a genius decision.

The PRS is gorgeous, can't wait to see what you do with it. (Chickadee cowl? adjusted for gauge...)

nicole said...

Good call switching up the white for oatmeal. Much classier.

And I'm "pea" green with envy over your Pigeonroof. Perfect for (another) cowl or (another) hat. But who's counting?

YawnOver said...

Have you noticed that your colorwork just keeps getting better with each project? The tension on this one is fabu. Nice work :)

I, however, am still too chicken...

Yarnhog said...

That hat is awesome!

I can buy more yarn in any language.

Anonymous said...

That hat is fabtastic! I'm on a red and white kick, but I absolutely adore the oatmeal switcheroo. I saw that Pea Soup too, wondered how in the world it was still available, and resisted the urge. I guess I know to where it went.... :)

Katie said...

The hat is beautiful! What to do with the skein of white?

Anonymous said...

I love the hat - even if it is a little big. I think my kids look cute in bigger hats. Pretty pigeonroof!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful hat. A couple thoughts for your Pigeonroof -- Foliage from Knitty. I've also modified the pattern to make a cowl. I think that hat would really show off the pattern. You can also do a modified Evangeline. I used the same weight yarn, kept the purl background and then did a 3/3 cable, twisting right on the right hand and left on the left hand.

Jodi said...

Looks great! The oatmeal was a great choice. I have that kit hibernating amidst my stash, too, but in blue and grey.

Anonymous said...

Love the hat and the oatmeal was a good choice.

Alison said...

That Pea Soup is so lovely!
Speaking of pea soup, it's just not the same made with honey glazed ham... what was I thinking? Need a good smoked ham so I can make some decent redemption pea soup...

Great hat, happy knitting!

grumperina said...

You are so clever! With the subdued white/oatmeal, the hat looks very classy and sophisticated!

a friend to knit with said...

buy more yarn.
for SUCH a good cause.
love it with the oatmeal!
this will look fabulous on the slopes!

liset said...

PERFECT hat!! The colours are great together. I'm curious about your next project with this fine handspun yarn!!

Sonya said...

Great hat! The oatmeal is perfect.

Kim said...

Excellent hat! With a bright white it would have been very Gilligan - Bicentenial (my Dad almost bought Bicentenial toilet paper back in the day), but the oatmeal makes it classy! Love the handspun: how about a cowl?

Twisted Knitter said...

LOVE the oatmeal with the red -- it's an amazing and inspiring color combo.

I'm thinking cowl as well for your "Pea Soup"

Bo... said...

That's an awesome hat!

Sereknitty said...

Gorgeous! The colour combo is perfect.

Knittymuggins said...

Love the hat! Great score on the handspun too :)

knittymuggins

Ashley said...

I love that you teach me new languages. It's important to have informational friends.

liset said...

Thank you for all your inspiration an beautiful work! I gave you an award for Kreativ Blogger!

earthchick said...

Fantastic hat. You did a great job!

Don't know if you've done a Thorpe yet or not, but I think the handspun would be perfect for that (did you see Maritza's? made me want to do another one in handspun)