Friday, January 30, 2009

All the rage: All the water

All the Water Mittens by KK
There seems to be a bit of a craze sweeping the nation at the moment, a whirlwind of activity that can only be described as a mitten maelstrom. I am feeling its pull for sure as I have cast on for two pair this week. I believe that Ms. Through-The-Loops is personally responsible for much of this mania--have you been checking out her designs recently? I'm getting exhausted just thinking about all the work she's doing. She is quite the force of nature...
All the Water Mittens by KK
All the Water Mittens by KK
The Specs:
Pattern: All the Water by Kirsten Kapur
Yarn: Cascade 220 Quattro in 'Tahiti', almost one full skein. This yarn was just an ok choice--I think I've been spoiled by the softness of a certain other yarn, but I was resolved to knit it up because I'm trying to keep with my whole 'knit what I just bought' drill.
Needles: Size 7 HiyaHiya
Mods: None at all except for the flake out moments when I muffed up the cables. Pay attention much?
Postwar Mittens in Baby Ull
I am cautiously optimistic that I will have the juice to finish the other pair I cast on for: the Postwar mittens. These mittens stopped me dead in my tracks when I first saw them due to their extreme visual appeal, however the small dpns are becoming too fiddly and I just might have to Magic Loop these in order to deal--a shame because I had opted to use wooden needles because of the warmth and tactile pleasure of the wood. I am hoping that this switch will prevent my élan from fizzling out...the last thing anyone needs is a project that feels like a chore, right?

I know that my next mittens will be another Kapur Kreation: Breathe Deep, people! And for these I will be breaking out the you-know-what (almost rhymes with impetigo)...

22 comments:

Sprocket said...

The mitts look great. I'm laughing b/c I'm about to cast on for my ATWs

Jodi said...

And here I was calling it "mitten madness." I far prefer "mitten maelstrom"! I love those cheerful red cabled mittens. Another pattern on my queue. :-)

sophanne said...

I am SO off to check out that mitt pattern-

I gave my only pair to the pre-K teacher because I could- blithely saying "go ahead take them- I can make another pair."

Anonymous said...

Such great mittens. I love this pattern! I don't think I have the stamina for the PWM. I'll have fun watching your progress though...

knithound brooklyn said...

I hold you completely responsible for the huge mitten queue building up in my Ravelry!

peaknits said...

All the Water is in my Ravelry cart right now! I love yours! And those postwar mitts - gorgeous!

YawnOver said...

Mitten...mania? Mayhem? Monsoon? Whatever you call it, they *do* look terrific! Keep 'em coming :)

Sarah said...

You just had to link me over to the mittens, didn't you? I think I might have to copy all your mitten plans. Hey, it's winter, I need to keep my hands warm, right?

Jennie said...

You are definitely cranking out lots of lovelies. :)

Claire said...

I love your mittens :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks fro the links to all those mitten patterns. Your look great BTW.

earthchick said...

Oh, these are SO gorgeous. Great job. I have my yarn for these and am ready to go - except that 2 other mitten patterns ended up in my queue before this pattern was released so I had to see about those first. One down, one more to go - then these! Yours look fantastic.

a friend to knit with said...

i LOVE all of kirstens designs!
your "all the water"'s are fantastic. i want to cast on for mitens..."all the time" and haven't yet. what is my problem? jeeez!

Orinda5 said...

How have I not jumped on the mitten bandwagon? I just don't know.
I am in love with the color of your ATW - even if it is a "less than" yarn.
I have yet to knit with "impetigo" (I have a sweater and a shawl's worth in my stash). I hope I won't be let down after all the build-up. ;)

Kirsten said...

"rhymes with impetigo" Bwahaha!
Thank you for your very generous words! Your "All the Water" mittens look great. I love the color.

Alison said...

I'm so behind... I'll probably end up with a finished pair of mittens right about, um, spring...?
Yours look so comfy! Awesome job crankin'em out!

Holli said...

Wow! Beautiful colors, beautiful patterns, and really beautiful photographs!

Kim said...

Gorgeous mittens! I've been too busy knitting neck accessories but I surely need some mittens. I have never knit myself any!! Shocking.

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous!!! I need to get into the mitten knittin'!

liset said...

Hahah.. I think Mrs Through the Loops is indeed responsable for all the mitt-knit! Such great patterns!
Your mitts turned out wonderful. The colour is great too!
I'm curious for your Postwar Mittens and the Breathe Deep. (and you say you'll get exhausted for all the work kirsten is doing ??? your energy level is up high too!!!)

Anonymous said...

Ha!! Those mittens are bigger than her face!! Nice stash-buster ;)

Anonymous said...

The mittens are lovely! I wonder if you could magic loop them and get your tactile wood needle goodness by trying the knitpicks harmony wood needles? I've not tried them myself but I love the nickel plated ones.

-khajha