Sunday, February 22, 2009

A Year (and some) in hats, and one more.

A Year (or so) in Hats

Bartholomew Cubbins has nothing on me. I tallied my hat production over the past 16 months or so and came up with the startling number of 24. Whew! Even a child of the 80s given to wretched excess such as myself has to recoil a bit at that number. My first impulse was to somehow make the assertion that '
well over half of them were given away as gifts....right?' Umm, no. Wrong on that account: only five were for others. So...yeah. We gotta lotta hats around this joint. And here's one more:

Thorpe in Pigeonroof 'Pea Soup'


The Specs:
Pattern: Thorpe by Kirsten Kapur
Needles: Size 8 Magic Loop
Yarn: Pigeonroof Studios Worsted in 'Pea Soup'; Sublime Cashmere Merino Silk DK in Shade for the crocheted edge
Mods: I did the first 10 odd rows in Magic Loop because I cannot for the life of me get those fiddly dpns to behave on the starting rows. I think that the gauge is slightly too tight and probably should have done the hat on size 9 needles, but I am really happy with this hat. Another TTL winner!

Thorpe in Pigeonroof 'Pea Soup'
Many of you suggested doing something in garter stitch to highlight the hand spun, and this hat hat does fit the bill. The Curdmudgeon is always asking for a hat that covers his ears, and this hat certainly does just that.
Thorpe in Pigeonroof 'Pea Soup'
I am extra pleased with how this hat turned out because a. my first one was such an epic fail and b. it allowed me to pop in at Stitch Your Art Out and get my pal Cynthia to help me with the half double crochet, because I am crochet impaired. She sat with me and patiently helped me get the hang of it. Once I got home I had this Youtube video open the entire time and that helped as well.

Well I hope to take a break from my hat drill as I am out of enthusiasm as well as ideas. Besides after seeing Coraline all I want to do is make these.

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that a Prize ribbon I see on one of your hats?

sophanne said...

There is no shame in being a woman who wears many hats. Posting them all at once is crazy impressive and I'm now feeling a little less scarf guilt.

Stephanie said...

Thanks for that Coraline glove pattern link! When I saw it with my five year old, I said, "Would you like Mommy to make you some gloves like that?" W/o taking her eyes off the screen, she said, "Oh yes!"

Sarah said...

You know, it is important to keep your head warm in winter, so I think a wide variety of hats is a fantastic idea -- you can always find a hat that matches your outfit!

I love the handspun hat. It's a really good mix of pattern and yarn!

knithound brooklyn said...

Your hat production is really impressive! And the latest one rocks. The handspun suits Thorpe nicely.
Inspiring as usual!! :)

Heather said...

Ah, Bartholomew. It was with great pride and anguish I would read that story to my 3 year old every night. She loved it and would cry foul when she caught me trying to skip even one of the 500 hats.
I am glad you never skip any of yours. I think we would all cry as well. Lovely, each and every one.

Pikku- Kettu said...

Wow, just wow! I knew you made a lot of hats but damn, that's a lot of hats. ;)

liset said...

The thorpe is beautiful! And how many hats you made.. wauw!

a friend to knit with said...

okay, that mosaic is seriously beautiful.
i think it deserves to be framed and hung on the wall for all to enjoy.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely bunch of hats! I thought I had been making a bunch of hats lately, but I think the number is only around 7 or something. I've been plugging away at the socks though!

Holli said...

I'm really inspired by all your hats. What a fun, colorful, gorgeous collection. I remember your blue ribbon glory :)

How was Coraline!? I'm dying to see it.

margaux said...

what gorgeous hats!! i love them all. so inspiring :-)

nicole said...

No extremities are at risk in the ADD house! Nice work. The pigeonroof looks divine.

I finally recognized hat wearer #4 (same as #22, right?) I should have clued in when you mentioned he had an "Orange Crush".

earthchick said...

You rock!! These are all so awesome. I'm very impressed by the extent of your hat addiction.

Love your latest too!

YawnOver said...

I actually really liked your 1st Thorpe :)

LOVED the movie version of Coraline - and had the same thought about the gloves, though I doubt I'd get around to them in time for this winter. Did you see someone posted the Coraline sweater (the one with the stars) on Rav as well?

peaknits said...

Wow, I had no idea you made that many hats - wow! Nice work!

Elizabeth said...

How many heads do you have? :)

Kirsten said...

Well I'm not about to count up my hats. I fear my number would exceed yours and what would that say about my consumerism? At least our heads are all warm.

Your Thorpe looks great.

I didn't know about those Coraline gloves. Love them. Want. To. Make.

Kim said...

Didn't you post that you wanted to have enough hats to wear a different hat everyday for two weeks, or something? Well, now you do. You are truly the Queen of Hats.

Michelle O said...

Wow! That's a lot of hats. I look at all your knitting productiveness and feel so lazy! All the hats are just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I love your hats! Love love love the photos!

Anonymous said...

Wow Wow Wow thats alot of awesome hats!!
Check out my blog I nominated you for a Kreativ Award!!

The WoodLand School said...

Hats off to you! These are fabulous!

KeanaLee said...

Amazing! they are all so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

That's quite the hat collection! And they all look fabulous!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Love all the hats. At least your family will never have a reason to complain about a cold head.

Yarnhog said...

I've named you for an award! Check my blog for details. :)

Alison said...

Love, love, LOVE, the giant hat mosaic! So cool seeing so much of your work all together like that! I'll have to try that, I'm pretty sure I could get a whole mosaic of just baby hats- it's been baby hat central here, I can't seem to stop it, if only my baby model would cooperate! LOL!!!

Waiting to see how many pairs of gloves you make next... this should be interesting...

Happy knitting-
ali

WonderMike said...

1. Your hat grid is very impressive. You have exquisite taste in accessories.

2. Your Thorpe in HANDSPUN is bomb!

3. OMFG, Did Peeper Lou spin that??? If so, I totally bow to her awesomeness

4. I love your models... hubba hubba.

xo,
maw

Anonymous said...

I love all those gorgeous hats!

Donna said...

Wow that's a very prolific year of hats, well done.

I've only really just got into hats, but i think i'll make a few more, they are so handy and can look really fashionable if yours are anything to go by.

Ashley said...

You are the hat champion of the world. I am still completely intent of copying your choqua Selbu.

Jennie said...

wow!! look at all those fab hats!!

Sourire11 said...

Um... does someone need to stage a hat intervention? At least they are all pretty, though! And therefore totally justified.