Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Taking this show on the road...
This Summer of Socks thing is really kind of working out for me, I have to say. I sort of can't believe that a mere 2 months ago I was forlorn sock hater. Now sock knitting seems to be my only interest. Ashley called me a 'sock machine', which is much better than being a 'sock tool', so I will accept the moniker with pride.
Pattern: Spring Forward by Linda Welch
Yarn: STR Mediumweight in 'Lovers Leap'
Needles: HiyaHiya 1.5, Magic Loop
Time: July 10-14
These are ever so slightly too loose, beware of potential bagginess with this pattern. But since I'm going to be getting on an airplane in several hours (translation: every single part of me will immediately start swelling), I don't think it will be too much of an issue. This pattern was fun, fun, fun to knit--very simple and easy to memorize. I seem to be on a bit of a Socks That Rock kick these days--I just love their solids so much.
Today is the day that I leave for Belgium and France for a two-week jaunt. My knitting pal Kenric and I will present a paper at a conference, attend a café-tricot Stitch N Bitch in Brussels, eat as much endive as possible, and then go our separate ways *sniff sniff*; he'll go to Switzerland with his partner, and I'll go meet a little someone in Paris whose curmudgeonly self has never left the grand ol' U S of A. That's right, the Darling Resident Marxist Curmudgeon is taking his hand-wringing show on the road and bringing his analysis to France! People, this is huge...but am I ready for the next 6 hour layover in the DTW airport, you ask?
1. Pre-departure, Duty Free Activities? Check! (Just browsing people, for real).
2. Super-special, one-of-a-kind, kick ass camera strap? Check! Scored this one from Caro, isn't is fantastic?
3. Really complicated, overly ambitious Tour de France kal knitting project? Check! (But who am I kidding, any project with a chart is so not happening once I hit the friendly skies...)
4. A much more realistic, doable knitting project? Check! Better start getting the lead out on these, I'm seeing the recipient next week!
5. Totally awesome, très retro handbag that the Tween Thing said made me look "sorry"? Check! Thanks Babe, right back atcha! I can embarrass you even when you are thousands of miles away...
6. Super-sweet in-flight entertainment? Check! I feel that having gelatin-based candies with one at all times just makes good sense. What, You don't travel with a bag of candy?
So you can see that I am well equipped and completely prepared for my journey. And despite the cankles that I will no doubt be sporting by the time in touch down in Charles de Gaulle airport, I am really excited! See you folks on the other side...