Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Perverse Sock Menagerie

Recently my approach to sock knitting has been similar to the way in which many sketchy guys must surely deal with their dirty mag collections: I've got socks stashed everywhere! They're on the breakfast table, the front porch and even in the bathroom. For example, when I leave my Yarrow Ribbed socks in the kitchen because I need to get an aspirin in the medicine cabinet, well I have a Jaywalker right there on top of the stack of unread New Yorkers and Nation magazines simply begging to be worked on, just one or two rows, quickly, before anyone sees me. Distraction then leads me to the porch for the umpteenth time to check if the mail has arrived, and Allez hop! It's my Canal du Midi sock, why not sneak in a few rows when no one is around? If these socks were, let's say copies of Nugget magazine, I'd be in a heap o' trouble! But luckily they're just socks, so there is no harm in my actions.
Pride RPM

And happily I have one less sock to kick around this perverse sock menagerie, as the RPMs are way, way done. The pattern is a breeze; thoroughly memorizable and super-quick. It did what I needed it to do, which is to say that it didn't pool. Of all the different Socks That Rock yarns, my absolute favorite is the Mediumweight, as it knits up quickly and is springy-sproingy to work with. I have already extolled the virtues of this particular color way, 'Pride'. It's queer-ific in every smallest detail! It also has the added benefit of perfectly mimicking Play-Doh colors...
Pride RPM
The Specs
Pattern: RPM from Knitty Summer 06
Yarn: STR Mediumweight in Pride
Needles: HiyaHiya 1.5, Magic Loop
Pride RPM
As much as I loved the maniacal nature of these socks, I must admit that my eyes are relieved to be working on my next pair, Nancy Bush's Yarrow Ribbed socks in a soothing solid, STR Lightweight, 'In the Navy'. I love the simplicity of these socks, but what a difference there is between the lightweight and mediumweight... I am appreciating the color of the yarn, yet my hands are wishing for the weightier, beefed-up iteration that the mediumweight presents as I can tell already that these socks are of the 'I knit on these during an entire movie and only did and inch' variety.
Yarrow Ribbed Sock in STR Lightweight, 'In the Navy'
PSA Time: Take a moment to visit Earthchick's blog and read about a special anniversary she is celebrating. I remember reading about her little one's chilling near fatality last summer, and am glad to be reminded (for safety reasons) about it. She is having a raffle with amazing prizes!

28 comments:

weezalana said...

Lovely job on the RPMs! That Pride knitted up fabulously!

Jess said...

Those pride socks turned out perfect.

Orinda5 said...

::quickly hides Nugget mags::

It's amazing what a difference RPM made for Pride.
They are so wild and fun!

Rachel said...

The RPM's look great! I tend to agree with the color...I'm loving the colors of my Bellatrix, but I'm feeling the urge to rest my eyes with a solid sock!

Anonymous said...

I have three projects going at once, and it's giving me hives. I don't know how you can just pick up a sock and run with it. The Pride socks look perfect!

Sarah said...

Those are some fabulous socks. Not ones I'd want to wear or look at while drinking, but fabulous nonetheless.

Kim said...

Talk about yarn pr0n! Awesome bright socks! I see you are sticking with your gay theme with the "In the Navy" colorway (Village People, as if I needed to say that). I did see Earthchicks blog contest and it's a scary thing she went through. I'll be donating and linking and hopefully winning a prize.

Angelika said...

You found the perfect pattern for that colorful yarn. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that has knitting in the bathroom :).

Janet said...

god, I really do love that In the Navy colorway. I swear sometime I think I could knit with nothing but Solid STR colorways for the rest of my life and be one happy girl. Too bad I just put myself on a yarn diet (and a real diet, too -- I'm already cranky)!

The RPMs look great, too!!

I just donated to Earthchick's raffle earlier today. Just reading the near tragedy gives me chills.

YawnOver said...

Yes, I am also loving your theme. In the Navy, indeed. Clearly some of us are dating ourselves here... :)

earthchick said...

Awesome RPMs. Love 'em!

And thank you so much for spreading the word about my raffle!!

peaknits said...

What an awesome sock!! I love it! And that you are having an orgy with all of your socks, working - with them all at once kinda - have fun!

Elizabeth said...

1. GORGEOUS yarn on the RPMs.

2. Can you explain to my boyfriend about the sock pr0n thing?

Anonymous said...

RPMs look great!! Love the colorway.

Makenzie said...

The Pride socks are amazing. I totally wished I liked knitting socks.

a friend to knit with said...

awwww........awwwwwwwhhhhh.......SO NICE!!!
and really. your photo's are totally rockin too!!!

Emily said...

Those RPM socks are wonderful. I think I'm going to try them with my skein of STR Fire on the Mountain.

Jennie said...

It's nice to go from crazy bright to plain and simple. I love your RPM, then again, I'm always a sucker for color. :)

Alison said...

Love that 'In the Navy'- looks like such a soothing color blue to work with... enjoy that sock!

Happy knitting-
ali

Sourire11 said...

Love the RPM's!!!!

Anonymous said...

Cute socks, I am digging those spiffy stripes!

Anonymous said...

That is a perfect pattern for that yarn. It's awesome! Love the blue sock in progress.

Anonymous said...

Oh I love those socks!

nova said...

Last week, my kid pulled out a sock from our bathroom basket and I got so excited and yelled "I was looking for that!" My kid looked at me and said, "right." The way a flippant teenager would. I am glad that I am not the only one who is finding pick up knitting all over the house.

Anonymous said...

Your RPMs turned out beautifully and are making me itch for some STR!

knightlyknitter.wordpress.com said...

Those are gorgeous socks! And I love your description of a sock-project-infested house - heaven!

Anonymous said...

Now, I'm not one for doing socks. I just can't take the size 0-2 US needles! It drives me crazy! but those gorgeous socks you made has me thinking about casting on a pair. They are fabulous!!

Dove Knits said...

Love the RPMs! The colorway is perfect for that pattern!