Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Taking this show on the road...

Spring Forward in STR Mediumweight 'Lovers Leap'
This Summer of Socks thing is really kind of working out for me, I have to say. I sort of can't believe that a mere 2 months ago I was forlorn sock hater. Now sock knitting seems to be my only interest. Ashley called me a '
sock machine', which is much better than being a 'sock tool', so I will accept the moniker with pride.
Spring Forward in STR Mediumweight 'Lovers Leap'
The Specs:
Pattern: Spring Forward by Linda Welch
Yarn: STR Mediumweight in 'Lovers Leap'
Needles: HiyaHiya 1.5, Magic Loop
Time: July 10-14
Spring Forward in STR Mediumweight 'Lovers Leap'
These are ever so slightly too loose, beware of potential bagginess with this pattern. But since I'm going to be getting on an airplane in several hours (translation: every single part of me will immediately start swelling), I don't think it will be too much of an issue. This pattern was fun, fun, fun to knit--very simple and easy to memorize. I seem to be on a bit of a Socks That Rock kick these days--I just love their solids so much.

Today is the day that I leave for Belgium and France for a two-week jaunt. My knitting pal Kenric and I will present a paper at a conference, attend a café-tricot Stitch N Bitch in Brussels, eat as much endive as possible, and then go our separate ways *sniff sniff*; he'll go to Switzerland with his partner, and I'll go meet a little someone in Paris whose curmudgeonly self has never left the grand ol' U S of A. That's right, the Darling Resident Marxist Curmudgeon is taking his hand-wringing show on the road and bringing his analysis to France! People, this is huge...but am I ready for the next 6 hour layover in the DTW airport, you ask?


1. Pre-departure, Duty Free Activities? Check! (Just browsing people, for real).


2. Super-special, one-of-a-kind, kick ass camera strap? Check! Scored this one from Caro, isn't is fantastic?


3. Really complicated, overly ambitious Tour de France kal knitting project? Check! (But who am I kidding, any project with a chart is so not happening once I hit the friendly skies...)


4. A much more realistic, doable knitting project? Check! Better start getting the lead out on these, I'm seeing the recipient next week!


5. Totally awesome, très retro handbag that the Tween Thing said made me look "
sorry"? Check! Thanks Babe, right back atcha! I can embarrass you even when you are thousands of miles away...


6. Super-sweet in-flight entertainment? Check! I feel that having gelatin-based candies with one at all times just makes good sense. What, You don't travel with a bag of candy?

So you can see that I am well equipped and completely prepared for my journey. And despite the cankles that I will no doubt be sporting by the time in touch down in Charles de Gaulle airport, I am really excited! See you folks on the other side...

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those red socks truly do rock! Just how does one pass a Chanel counter without buying even one lip gloss or stick I ask you? Impossible! Have a fabtabulous time on your trip!!

Lynn said...

Ok I SOO love that Pan Am bag!!! VERY cool! Reminds me of the hip/cool 60s.

Kim said...

Have a great time! Are you bringing enough projects? Only 2? Love your red hot Spring Forwards. You are a sock machine! I've been eyeing that Pan Am bag too. Next time I go on a trip I think that bag will be mine!

indieknits said...

Those socks are gorgeous! *sigh* Too many lovely patterns, not enough time...

Looks like you're all set for your trip! Have a great time!

Unknown said...

Oh, you're going to have a great time. And the Curmudgeon will be very happy to realize that he will be surrounded by like-minded people :)

weezalana said...

Gorgeous socks, STR, retro Pan Am bag, AND you're spending two weeks in Europe? Are you trying to kill me with envy? Because it's... *keels over*...*thud*.

sko_G knits said...

i just got back from belgium and france (and spain too). although, i didn't have a stop in with a local stitch n bitch. have a great time!!

i love the pan am bag, btw. my uncle used to work for them, i should see if he has any original bags in the attic!

Sarah said...

Lurve the socks! (Looseness noted and filed away for future reference.)

Have a fantastic time en France et Belgique, and bring back lots of pictures to make me insanely jealous, k?

Jessica said...

Lovely socks! And a darn good airline preparedness kit their too. :) Hope you have a fantastic time!

Anonymous said...

Endive ??!?? Attention-attention, here in Belgium it's "chicon" (a very local word indeed). Make sure to add good layers of chocolate !

Je vous attends de pied ferme ;D

Angela said...

Have a great time. Nice socks!

maritza said...

Love the Spring Forward socks! That color is fantastic, too.
Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Janet said...

Lady, you are ON FIRE with the socks (not to mention making me very, very jealous of the STR solids - can we talk for a moment about how many times I've put like 5 of them in my cart online only to force myself to close the window? This WILL eventually lead to a slip up involving the "check out" button)


Have a wonderful trip -- I'm so jealous!

Agnes said...

In Europe for 2 weeks! I am jealous!
The socks are lovely lovely!
Have a great time in Europe.

Kirsten said...

You don't mind if I hide away in your carry on, do you? I'll even work on the charted socks for you while in flight!

Have a wonderful trip!

peaknits said...

The socks - yes, all of them - are abulous! Those TDF look really cool! And another trip abroad - lucky girl! Enjoy it and be safe!

Rhonda said...

Love the socks. Funny, I had downloaded the pattern a few days ago. Have a wonderful trip.

Yarnhog said...

I travel with POUNDS of candy. Literally--pounds. In my carry on, in my purse, in my checked luggage. I have, on occasion, considered sending some ahead to the hotel, just in case. I have a monster sweet tooth, and there is nothing that kills the vacation mood faster for me than waking up at 2am in some hotel room, jet lagged and craving a Ritter Sport or some Jelly Bellys, and the only thing I can get is a stale room service danish. Pounds, I say.

Anonymous said...

Love the socks - the pattern is gorgeous! Have a lovely trip.

wazz said...

O my. How much do I want that Pan Am carryon? Have a lovely time this side of the pond.

Olga said...

Oh yeah, I'm loving that spring forward sock too. Think it'll become the next love monkey?

Amy said...

Everything, of course, looks fabulous.

We'll be sisters in swollen ankle-hood, though I bet mine last longer. ;-)

a friend to knit with said...

you know.....i am SO diggin the pan am bag.
totally cool.
great socks.
oh. and hope you had a fantastic time knitting on the airplane! :)

Emily said...

have a wonderful trip!

Anonymous said...

Have a terrific time! Those Spring Forward socks are fantastic, and I love the name of the yarn color.

Gummy Bears, YUM!!

KeanaLee said...

Have a great time, can't wait to see travel photos & knitting photos! Love the PanAm bag, so retro!

Jennie said...

Hope your trip is going well. You definitely have tons of fantastic stuff. Love your retro bag. And heck yeah, gummies, sooooo yum.

Now I may need to give that sock pattern a try. I'm in a sock slump.

Can't wait to hear more about your trip when you get back. :)

Sourire11 said...

Hope you're having a lovely trip!

Anonymous said...

those are beautiful socks! I love the red! I always have snackage with me, its a requirement! Hope you have a wonderful trip : )

Anonymous said...

Those are cool! Hope you're having a great time!

Dove Knits said...

Pretty pretty socks! And yes, I do always travel with candy. Enjoy your trip!

MRS MJW said...

Love love love the red socks. The others are beautiful too...but that red is awesome.

Sarah said...

One of these days I will learn to always travel with candy in my purse. But until then I will forever be caught hungry and grouchy in places in which one should not be grouchy.

And those socks are great. They make me wish I could pull off wearing bright red socks.

Knittymuggins said...

Hope your trip is going extra swell & glad to see you brought some emergency rations in the form of sticky sweet gummies - you know, just in case you get stuck in an airport bathroom somewheres :)

LOVE your new socks!!

knittymuggins

Cassy said...

I've been thinking of using that pattern. Thanks for the heads up on the bagginess. I also was not in love with socks until recently. I had a pair on the needles for at least six months that I kept avoiding. Then I found a pattern for two-at-a-time magic loop toe-up with a heel flap and I'm in love. I'm going to San Francisco in two weeks and all I can think about are the projects I'll be taking along.