Sunday, April 06, 2008
Things that happened while I was gone...
1. The new REM album came out. Wowza!
2. La Frick organized a killer* fundraiser for Ravelry. Go participate now, because hey, it's Julie Frick, y'all, and she has the best ideas.
3. The Y-Knit podcast #4 episode was released, and in-flight somewhere over Newfoundland I heard my new favorite word: Ravtard. It describes us all.
4. I won the Flint Knits Monkey naming contest on a technicality. FYI: when entering a naming contest, go for vaginal synonyms and you'll probably win. To wit: Snatch!
5. Jenny i.e. the Woully Boully sent me some of her rad* sock yarn (color: Something Blue), all because I guessed her ring size a while back. She even remembered that I was a Koigu fan and used a special Koigu-like base yarn and wound it into two skeins. What a doll...but Jenny, your yarn blows doors* off of Koigu!
6. Nora sent me a scarf (see above). It is stupendous as per her norm...how can I be this lucky?
7. I inexplicably received the above button in the mail from MyMy.us. Thanks!
I have lots o' pics to show from France, but I will leave you with two very emblematic sets of images. Above you see a series of posters that were splashed all over the college campus in Montpellier that I was visiting. Students in France are incredibly politicized, many belong to unions and participate in the political process regarding policies that effect them in a way that they most certainly do not in our country. You know, because text messaging and Facebook are really demanding and take up a lot of time...And below, you have some hilarious retro signs from a café in Le Grau du Roi, a seaside town that is sort of like a French version of Ocean City, MD. except not as honky-tonkish. They remind me of that dancing candy and popcorn cartoon that used to play in movie theaters to advertise the snack bar. Next up: trans-Atlantic knitting content!
*80s speak, because I am desperately clinging to my adolescence