Friday, March 28, 2008

Knitalong: Celebrating the Tradition of Knitting Together!

Those of you that have been patiently ticking off days on the calendar waiting when you could get your hands on Knitalong: Celebrating the Tradition of Knitting Together by Larissa Brown and Martin Brown, your long wait is over. Sound the trumpets!
Most of you know Larissa from her blog, Stitch Marker, and for the hat that changed the world--the Meathead. And you are no doubt well acquainted with her many clever scarf patterns, like the Mabel scarf, the Cream of Spinach scarf, and of course, the Pop scarf. Well now you can add one more scarf to the Pantheon of Fabulous Scarves chez Stitch Marker: the Traveling scarf !
Traveling Scarf
Back in January, Larissa offered me the chance to organize a knitalong for the Traveling scarf pattern. Because the scarf is made of Koigu (sock yarn for non-sock purposes? Hell to the YES) and knit in panels by multiple knitters (totally down with the daisy chain thing), I was thrilled at the opportunity.
Traveling Scarf
Traveling Scarf
So Mike Wade (he of
Y Knit fame), Babs (aka Purlfriend, my best pal ever and reason for not blowing my brains out in this town of ours), Mike's friend (never met him but thanks for the pinch hit knitting!) and I sent this baby back and forth between California and Pennsylvania until we had an 8 foot long scarf. Yowzers!
Traveling Scarf
The Specs
Pattern: The Traveling Scarf : The California-Pennsy Version!
Yarn: Koigu KPPPM (8 different colors: 803, 531, 111, 433, 216, 318, 213, 419)

Needles: Size 7
Mods: None.
Traveling Scarf
Originally our pal Kenric (who you might recall picked up knitting less than a year ago and is now doing entrelac. Entrelac!) was going to do this with us, but he had a terrible family loss and understandably couldn't participate. So we are sending this to you, Kenric, and hope that it keeps you warm and reminds you how much your friends love you.
Traveling Scarf

20 comments:

Unknown said...

I just picked this book up yesterday, highly enjoyable book! I bought it for the "meathead" hat. I am sure I will do other projects from within. Not to mention the new motivation to join/start a KAL!

Olga said...

it's a thing of beauty.
Truely.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful scarf! One of the State College knitters/spinners just started a ravelry group to do knit-alongs from this Larissa's book, called "knitalong campaign". If you're a joiner you should come join us!

indieknits said...

Love the travelling scarf!! I've seen a group for that on Ravelry too - might have to start up a UK version.

Anonymous said...

Great scarf and great idea!!

Sarah said...

Great scarf, and what a nice gesture! I'm sure Kenric will love it -- I can't imagine anyone not loving Koigu wrapped around the neck!

KeanaLee said...

that is so cool!

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so excited about that book!

Sourire11 said...

So beautiful!!! I love that it's all the same yarn but different colorways. Great take on a travelling scarf.

Kirsten said...

I bought the book the second I saw it available on Amazon (hurray for two day shipping!). I can't wait to make those Adrian's bug mittens.

Your traveling scarf is fantastic. It is another of my favorite projects in the book. Now to enlist some of my local knitting buddies to make one.

Anonymous said...

You should've sent the scarf down here... :)

[Is that the book with the linen pillow for bloggers?]

Anonymous said...

the wild colors look really good against the plain denim outfit. thanks for showing this off!

( and yes nora- that is the book with the linen pillow. )

Larissa said...

Gorgeous. I love it. Thank you so much for making this together. Cool!

Anonymous said...

Yay! I just picked up the book this week, and I love the stories and the patterns.

Jennie said...

That's such a great journey for the scarf. You guys are so sweet to send this to your friend.

peaknits said...

yes, I was one of "those" people - waiting for my pre-order book to be delivered via Amazon - love it - the stories are so heartwarming, inspiring! And the scarf - nice!

nicole said...

Love everything about this scarf, the pattern, the colours, the fact that it travels between friends, and especially the thought that it will bring warmth and comfort to Kenric (sorry to hear about his loss).

Can't wait to see the book. It's off to the bookstore I go!

WonderMike said...

Hey Junebug, thanks for letting me in on the fun and for the mention. I'm so happy we're giving it to sweet Kenric. And, I'm anxiously awaiting for the post to deliver my Knitalong goodness!!

Stella said...

Such a great idea... Sock yarn for not-socks AND a superlong scarf?? Sign me up.

Anonymous said...

Yes! I saw the sock yarn quilt (among other things) and knew I was buying this book. A terrific scarf!! And what a great gift for Kenric. :)