Thursday, January 24, 2008

Workplace Fashion Shoot; A Major Knitting Gaffe of Epic Proportions

Meredith in Dulles hat (Ella Rae Palermo)
The IAD (Dulles) hat you see pictured above was given as a Christmas present to my very good friend and colleague, and yesterday was the first day I ever saw the hat in action. She breezed in to my office with a big grin, knowing what a major charge I would get out of seeing the hat in use. And she was right! I feel bad for the student with whom I was speaking, because I had to have a photo session right then and there. Thanks iPhone!
Dulles Hat

Knitted Placenta?
The thing you see pictured above represents an example of what happens when you run out the door of the in-laws' house à la any good prison break movie without rechecking the pattern before buying expensive Lantern Moon dpns at Purl. Yeah, 10.5 needles....that's what I need. Oops. Make that size 9. Umm, yeah. End result? My first attempt at Thorpe basically resembled one of those giant squid-like kombucha micro-organism colonies, or a knitted placenta, or some such other gross thing. So I did the mature thing--I frogged that mofo, broke out the correct size needles, started over, and all is now right in the world.

That's much better, isn't it? You know that feeling when you keep on knitting even though you know something has gone terribly, terribly wrong? It's the knitting equivalent of whistling in the dark. "If I just keep doing what I'm doing....everything will be fine...". This lesson must be learned over and over, it would appear.
Thorpe hat in Rowan Cashsoft Chunky
You will note that there is no double-crocheted edge around it and no cute braids. I have successfully avoided crochet for 42 years, I'm not about to start now. Don't get me wrong, I love the results, but I really, really suck at it, so after several pathetic attempts I have decided that my low self-esteem requires me to create an ideological position against crocheting rather than actually learn how to do it properly.

Dulles Specs
Pattern: IAD (Dulles) hat by Sarah Gilbert
Yarn: Ella Rae 'Palermo', #4. A great, all-purpose single ply that would sub nicely for Malabrigo or Manos.
Needles: size 8

Thorpe Specs
Pattern: Thorpe by Kirsten Kapur
Yarn: RYC Cashsoft Chunky in #701 and #711. Pricey but soft!
Needles: size 9


31 comments:

nova said...

I love it when I see my knits in action. And Thorpe must go in my queue this very second, it's a really cute hat. I think will not have any crochet business attached to it, sometimes I manage but not without a huge headache and knitting flying through the air.

Lazuli said...

Very nice hats! Well done. Your colleague does look pleased to be showing off your knits!

indieknits said...

Love the hats! You're not alone with the crochet thing. I would much rather avoid it than actually learn how to do it :)

Olga said...

I love me a hat with ear flaps- yes I do!

weezalana said...

Cute hats!

And good lord, those eyelashes are unreal! So not fair (well, not fair to *me*)...

Anonymous said...

Very nice hats!

Robin said...

Great hats!!

I'm on the fence about crochet - on one hand, I'd like to actually make a project with it, but on the other, I say why bother when there's so many knitting patterns I want to knit (and sewing patterns I want to sew....) Kinda like why I'll never take up spinning - already have the stash from hell - why add to it!!

Sourire11 said...

I'm down with the idological position against crochet. It's just so slow and messy! Which was probably how I felt about knitting at the beginning... oh well. Cute hats btw!

Janet said...

Thorpe looks great... and is IMMEDIATELY going in my queue. I have a recently developed obsession with earflap hats!

sophanne said...

See now, I was thinking that since I didn't use chunky yarn (as per the pattern) on mine that I should both up the needle size AND up the pattern size (L instead of M)

My Thorpe is even too big for Mr. Sophanne's brain and that's saying something.

I'm glad to see yours pictured. Not having one that actually fits (and deluding myself into thinking that mine does) it's hard to realize what they're supposed to look like once they're on!

Dove Knits said...

My first few pairs of socks looked like that. See, no one told me that there were differences in needle and yarn sizes...

I really like how that second hat finally turned out, though.

Kim said...

Both hats look great! The Thorpe hat went from black lung blob to fudgie & fabulous. Love the blue Malabrigo. I'm going on a Malabrigo hunt tonight at SnB. Gonna make the Tivoli hat. My exits from the mother-in-law's house resemble Apocalypse Now-era soldiers fleeing the napalm exploding forest.

Sarah said...

Hmmm, I guess gauge is occasionally important.

Anonymous said...

Great hats, but OMG(!) those eyelashes! I would kill for those. Does she know how much money she will save in mascara?! Too cute.

Still cracking up about "when you run out the door of the in-laws' house à la any good prison break movie."

Barb said...

That hat is way cute and so is the girl wearing it!! Don't worry about crochet -- I feel the same. Although I am drawn to granny squares!!

peaknits said...

Great hats - well, the second try on the Thorpe, right? Don't you just hate when that happens? Nice needles though I am sure:)

Anonymous said...

Those are some great hats!

Anonymous said...

i know the feeling of knitting on even when faced with the cold hard facts that you are doomed to failure! i love your blue yarn great hat pattern too, but i must go find some of that blue yarn!

Sonya said...

Every time I learn that particular lesson I think it will be the time it finally catches and I won't need to learn it again. I'm always wrong. Both hats look great on their recipients!

YawnOver said...

Glad to see you Thorping :) Looks great. My son would totally drool over that color combo. Love the Dulles hat too - I just might have to queue it.

a friend to knit with said...

i loved it when you said "she knew you would get a major charge out of you seeing her wearing it". what a good friend.
great hats. but listen missy. if i can learn to do a double whatever than so can you!!!!! come on! you can do it!!!!!!

Knittymuggins said...

Beautiful hats!! And those pics came from your iphone???? Crazy! Looks like it's paying for itself ;)

knittymuggins

James said...

You are a better knitter than I. I just grab the dpns closest to me and hope for the best. Here's to maturity.

Yarnhog said...

Great Thorpe! And yes, I do know that feeling. My capacity for denial never ceases to amaze me. There was a time when I didn't realize needles came in different sizes, so I just used the only pair I owned for everything. Worked out surprisingly well, now that I think about it. Maybe ignorance is the answer!

Charles said...

Lovely Hats~

Chack out my knitting blog too see what to think ..if have a time! Also leave tyour comment too!

Thanks~

Charles

James said...

Hey friend! I gave you a "You Make My Day Award". You can get your very own button off of my blog.

Strikkelise said...

Cute hats!
I get so envious when I see those pics from Purl, but keep'em coming :)

Anonymous said...

There's something for you at my blog.
~Kristie

Anonymous said...

Hiya! Just letting you know that you always make my day! Left you a little something on my blog. :)

Jessica said...

Yay for appreciated knitted gifts!! :)

Beckykate said...

OMG - a Knitted Placenta? Hilarious!