Sunday, January 13, 2008

Copycat Knitter

Bainbridge Scarf
When I was growing up, the refrain heard from me most often by our patient, beleaguered mother was no doubt "Mom, he's copying me!". Granted, on the whole he was mostly a good boy and I was a naughty, bully of a sister, and 80% of the time I was the evil aggressor, but he knew how to get to me with sneaky, behind-the scenes mimicry and mockery that left me flailing and wailing and him smelling like a rose. I was the dope who fell for his tricks and traps every time. My mother would also try to get me to understand that "...imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", which usually caused me to have another major hissy fit, punch him, and get in huge trouble. Those were some seriously good times...

Well now I am the copycat. You know that person at the table that changes her order after seeing what everyone else has ordered? That's me, except with knitting. See, my best pal Babs a.k.a Purlfriend has just about the best judgment ever in most situations, and her knitting taste is beyond compare. So whenever she's doing a project, well I just have to follow suit. And since it is keeping with the whole scarf theme happening around these parts, copying was the right thing to do.
Bainbridge Scarf
The Specs
Pattern: Bainbridge Scarf, a little darling of a project by Miss Minty
Yarn: Socks That Rock Heavyweight in Oregon Red Clover Honey
Needles: Size 6
Time: One day...seriously. Except for the ties, which don't count.
Bainbridge Scarf
The construction of this little neck-warmer is brilliant, and the broken rib gives the garment excellent elasticity and makes it all around springy and sproingy. I just love this little thing, it's like a fetish object that someone could develop a dirty little attachment to, but don't worry, we're keeping it PG-13 for the kids...
Bainbridge Scarf
I am always on the lookout for ways to be using sock yarn for non-sock projects. I don't know what my problem is, but I am not feeling socks right now at all. I mean, I feel like I might start welding or glassblowing before I ever knit another sock again, that's how not in to socks I am. But out of a sense of duty (?), I feel I must finish my most recent pair, so I entered a little contest over at on Ali's blog in order to motivate myself. I am hoping to finish those blasted RPM socks from back in August by the end of January, we'll see what happens.

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your Bainbridge, and the color is glorious. Like you, I'm just not into the socks no matter how hard I try. I think mitts are my new thing.

And your childhood story reminded me how I would make faces at my brother when my mom's back was turned, and then he'd sob, "She's looking at me!"

Yarnhog said...

Hmmm. I thought that sort of behavior was a function of having boys two and a half years apart. Guess I was wrong.

I love the scarf! Would you believe I've knitted only one scarf in my life, and that was for a friend who lives where it snows? I'm feeling the love for that one though. Maybe one of these days...

weezalana said...

It's gorgeous! Seriously fab. I may have to copy you!

LOL, your story reminds me of my childhood of brotherly torment. Copying, punching, and the infuriating "I'm not touching you" torture...

Kirsten said...

Your Bainbridge is gorgeous!! I am coveting that STR Oregon Red CLover Honey! Must resist jumping over to their site and placing an order. . .

My sister was like you, I was the annoying younger one. :) I'm sure I deserved all that she dished out.

Thanks for the link to Ali's contest.

Karen said...

That's really cute . . . but NOT FEELING SOCKS??? Say it isn't so!!! Ah, I can't even imagine.

Kim said...

As the oldest, I was always yelping about my younger sisters copying me. Apparently, we've all gotten over it because copying is rampant in the knitting world. Scarf looks lovely too. I might copy you. Don't get mad.

Sarah said...

I'm not sure I've ever not had the sock love, but I must admit that there have been times when I'd rather pet my sock yarn than knit with it. This scarf looks like a winner, though. I can certainly see the appeal of STR around one's neck.

Ashley said...

Loooove it. Just how heavy is that STR Heavyweight? I have some DK cashmere that might be feeling Bainbridgey...

peaknits said...

OMG. I have been working on my first Bainbridge today - you must have been sending subliminal messages:) I love it - I know my mom will love it too! Others' ideas inspire me so much! Thanks!

Jodi said...

Just fabulous! What a beautiful color.

Good luck with the socks! I must admit that I'm awful about knitting up sock yarn. I'm not buying any more for a long time.

Sport- or DK-weight sock yarn works great for sleeveless baby vests (like the Oz vest from Louisa Harding's baby knits book). Also, combining a couple colors works great for EZ's baby surprise jacket. I'm on the look-out for non-sock ways to use sock yarn, too.

nicole said...

I'll pretend I didn't hear your blasphemous comment about socks.

But.... if you are in the mood to acquire new sock yarn (perhaps to get your sock-mojo flowing again, or to knit another lovely Bainbridge), come over to my "place" tomorrow, I'll be giving away some nice stuff.

Love that colour. Looks great.

James said...

Very attractive neck warmer. I figure that with knitting, imitation is indeed the best form of flattery (Psst... I hope you don't get punched). I'm with you on the whole "socks are the new kryptonite" vibe. I took a 6 month break off of the heeled bastards. One day we'll come crawling back, but until then, screw 'em.

Jessica said...

Cute!

I'm not feeling the sock love right now either. Seems to be going around like the flu.

Sourire11 said...

So pretty! Yeah I haven't been so down with socks lately either - it just seems so 2007. Heh.

Anonymous said...

the sacrf is very pretty. i'd much rather knit a scarf than a pair of socks which i have only managed to do three times so far. the second sock of the fourth pair i have had on the needles for over two years!

Robin said...

Looks great!! I love the idea of knitting non-socks with sock yarn, as I have some in my stash as well.

Anonymous said...

You're not the only one with "Bainbridge" on the brain -- I started one the other day with some leftover cashmere, sadly not enough for a full scarf, but I know I'll be reknitting another Bainbridge soon!

Amy said...

*Love* the neckwarmer.

And I feel you about the socks.

Janet said...

Not feeling the socks, eh?

I keep trying to force the socks (by, you know, doing crazy things like signing up for sock clubs and buying random sock yarn at the LYS), but so far it's just not happening.

Yet I bought some Lorna's Laces supersock yesterday, so maybe I'll actually knit a pair yet? Or maybe I'll be forced to make yet another Chevron... oy.

Pheelya said...

What an adorable scarf!!!!

Anonymous said...

That is so durn pretty in that color! Lovely lovely lovely!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic scarf! The colors are lovely.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the quick rely on my dilemma! Oy! Socks! I hope to show you one more way to use sock yarn very soon!

~Kristie said...

My brother was 10 years younger, so I didn't have him picking on me, but I did have sisters which I think was just as bad.

LOVE the scarf. I knit two of them for Christmas ... although, I have no photos, As usual. Can you send me your model? It's very difficult taking photos of my own neck!

wazz said...

really beautiful colours, and lovely scarf!

Knittymuggins said...

Ooooh, pretty!

Hee hee. You know what's funny? I'm actually signed up for a glassblowing class!

knittymuggins

Miss Ripley said...

My brother used to drive me crazy this way. When I was in Grade 1 he was only 3, and would constantly parrot back whatever I said had happened at school that day. My mother had the same imitation is the sincerest form of flattery line. She was selling, but I wasn't buying it.

nova said...

I like the Bainbridge in StR. Nice! Yeah, I am not feeling socks either, and I have three unfishished pairs to get done. Three.

Octopus Knits said...

I love the Oregon Red Clover Honey colorway.... it's a great match for Bainbridge! Don't beat yourself up over not "feeling" the sock love... "sock" yarn is good for all sorts of things, as you say : )

Anonymous said...

Very nice! Love it! I just might have to flatter you!

Spinning Ninny said...

your bainbridge is loverly! i am thinking i might crank through one of my own!