Friday, January 04, 2008

Do what you love...

iPhone!
It's funny how time off from work tends to bring out familiar indolent patterns of behavior in (these two) academics. Raiding my parents fridge for chocolate-covered apricots? Yes. Playing Scrabble til the wee hours of the morning? You better believe it. Spending a little extra time on making stupendous dinners? But of course. Watching films in a bulimic kind of way? Bring it. My mother nagging me for not cleaning my room knitting all the time? WTF? Luckily she's not the boss of me anymore...

The Darling Resident Husband (Notice the change in nomenclature. He's been renamed due to the incredibly generous Christmas present of an iPhone which signals his capitulation to the surrounding culture. Principles be damned! I love this man!) became very teary watching a Truffaut film (a change as he's normally a Godard kinda guy) and noted that the director "just loved what he did". We contemplated this concept and decided that doing what you love is of no small importance.

And now, on to the knitting content!
Child's Rainbow Scarf in Kureyon
Recently I've been on a scarf kick, which is odd because normally this garment is way down on my knitting list as a. they are frequently tedious and b. always take longer than you think they're going to take. If you can identify with these sentiments, might I suggest the Child's Rainbow Scarf from LMKG? I have seen plenty of these on Ravelry and elsewhere that encouraged me to give it a whirl. This project is ultra-fast (about a day and a half, off and on) and affords one the ability to be ever surprised by the changing colors of the Kureyon. Sometimes the colors go together in the most pleasing way imaginable (blue + green, blue + orange, both combos are so right on...) and sometimes the colors just completely clash and make you ill (purple + brown, anyone?), but the overall result has strong visual appeal due to the mistake rib and vibrant colors.
Child's Rainbow Scarf in Kureyon
Child's Rainbow Scarf in Kureyon
The Specs
Pattern: Child's Rainbow Scarf from Last Minute Knitted Gifts
Yarn: Noro Kureyon, colors 40 & 54
Needles: Size 9
Time: About a day and a half
Child's Rainbow Scarf in Kureyon
Next up: Wendy Bernard's Drive-Thru for Peeper-Lou. Knit completely out of stash yarn!

30 comments:

weezalana said...

Scarf, preeeetttyyyy...

iPhone, preeeetttyyyy...

Anonymous said...

You got it! The i-phone! YAY!

I always turn to scarves when I want to knit and am between projects. I bought all the ingredients to make the Drive-Thru over a year ago and never got around to it. Maybe yours will inspire me again!

Janet said...

my sister got an iPhone from her bf for Christmas, too! y'all are making me jealous ;-)

I know that I already commented on your scarf on ravelry, but I really must continue to profess my adoration. I keep claiming that I don't really like Noro, and yet I keep loving other people's finished Noro projects. Silly, silly, me.

Anonymous said...

I love that scarf pattern, your colors are so bright and happy!

nova said...

I love that scarf! I think I must knit it. And yay(!) you for getting an i-phone, how handy is THAT?!

Karen said...

An iPhone!! Yup, he's no longer a Marxist Curmudgeon.

That scarf is so cool. If I didn't have only one ball of Kureyon and find myself on a yarn diet AND if I hadn't vowed not to cast on anything new until I finish my WIPs, I'd be knitting one now too!!

peaknits said...

Cool IPhone! Wow! And the scarf is gorgeous too - but I agree, often take longer than you think - but so worth it!

TopHat said...

That's a very nice scarf! And have fun tackling your stash yarn!

ikkinlala said...

I've been avoiding scarves for just those reasons - I'll have to give that pattern a try.

schrodinger said...

I'm not sure whether to be happy for you, or to just hate you! Love the iphone, great gift. Lovely scarf, it's smart that you're making the most of your scarf kick - they're a very handy (and handy) accessory.

Sarah said...

I have the same attitude toward scarves, so I'm glad to hear this one is fast, because it's gorgeous. There are so many beautiful patterns I've seen that I've rejected just because I can't bear to think of how long they'd take.

Jessica said...

<== slightly jealous of iPhone

Love the scarves! They are definitely colorful! :)

Anonymous said...

My own Resident Curmudgeon wouldn't get a cell phone, even, after 5 years of nagging from me, until last Xmas. This year he got an iPhone, so yeah, I'm jealous -- and now I can be jealous of you, too! :)

Knittymuggins said...

Oooooh, great scarf! And nice Christmas score too!

And doing what you love - I'm totally down with that ;)

knittymuggins

Kirsten said...

I got an iPhone too! I love it!! I used it for yesterday's post. The quality of the photos it takes is suprisingly good.

The scarf is a beauty. I made one a few years ago and found it to be much fun to knit since you always want to see what the next color combo will be.

Sonya said...

Wow! An iPhone is quite a capitulation. Pretty scarf; love the colors.

Anonymous said...

I dig that scarf!

Kim said...

Oooh an IPhone! That's what I love about Kureyon -- the never ending surprises. The gross color combos always seem to get canceled out by the awesome ones.

Amy said...

Darling Resident Husband, indeed!!! Holy crow.

(Great scarf, too, but... dude. iPhone.)

Anonymous said...

Niiiiice prezzy@! Somebody loves ya! It's nice to see a baby step towards destashing :)

Robin said...

Oooh, love the iPhone!! I want one!

Anonymous said...

I got an iPhone from my hubby too! I loves it. What a great guy you've got there!

Charlie Chuckles said...

I want that scarf! I think if I knitted one of them EVERYONE would be after me for one!

WonderMike said...

Chica!!! That's the best present and it's quite amazing considering the source. I hope you have many, many hours of uninterrupted service, music playback and voice mail shuffling.

And isn't LMKG such a freaking fantastic book. It was my second book purchase, after Stitch N Bitch.

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erin said...

ohhhh...nice phone. I love the Child's Rainbow Scarf. And yes, isn't it great that you can knit as much as you please?

KnitPastis said...

Such a beautiful scarf! Great phone too!

a friend to knit with said...

oh yeah. now you can blog from just about anywhere. i have to ask my husband.....where my i-phone is! :)
lovely scarf.....he must be doing something right. a cobblestone and a scarf! :)

Knitting Bandit said...

Looks warm and squishy. Two important traits ina scarf. My Monkeyboy got the i touch ipod for Christmas and suddenly my beloved little Nano looks not worthy. Very cool gift.

~Kristie said...

The scarf is perfect in Noro. I'll probably have to add that to my queue for next fall. It looks like a perfect gift.

...Sarah said...

iphone? Wow. Now that is love.