Thursday, February 03, 2011

Good Golly

Molly in Tosh DK, 'Glazed Pecan'
Several weeks ago, before I became a virtuous knitter who made do with her (quite abundant) stash, I was a slovenly, undisciplined knitter who bought many random skeins of Madeline Tosh yarn with no particular project in mind at all. And boy am I glad that I did! Because now that I've made a deal not to buy yarn without much discernment and a solemn sense of gravitas , I am so glad that this is the yarn that I chose to buy. MadTosh has colors to beat the band! Just ask Babs, she patiently stood by while I spent what must have felt like an eternity dithering as I made my choices [wait...do you like Terrarium or Ginger better? What about Faubourg?]. Of course in the end I bought all of the colors I wanted. I'm sure she's wishing she could get that half hour back....but luckily she is a lifer like me, so she played along. *Take it away, Dionne*
Molly in Tosh DK, 'Glazed Pecan'
The Specs
Pattern: Molly by Erin Ruth
Yarn: Madeline Tosh DK in 'Glazed Pecan', .75 of a skein
Needles: size 3 and size 6
Mods: Because the cable and stitch pattern rows don't match up, you are keeping track of two things at once, and I have decided that I no longer willing to do that. Nope. Life's too short, knitters! So I made the cable row match up with the pattern row. And no one died.
Molly in Tosh DK, 'Glazed Pecan'
I am extremely happy with this pattern. I was a bit dubious at first because a busy stitch pattern combined with cables has the potential to be quite loud and even maybe a little vomit inducing, does it not? I mean, the potential for this to go way off the rails is indeed quite high. We're talking Shetland Triangle-in-Koigu off the rails. Luckily that didn't happen here and everything comes together in a way that I find quite pleasing.
Molly in Tosh DK, 'Glazed Pecan'
This yarn is truly everything it's made out to be. Not only gorgeous but ultra-sproingy! It's the perfect yarn for a slouchy hat. My pal Carolyn joked that I am a hat machine. What can I say? It's my perfect project. It's small. It will probably fit. You can put it in your purse. And if you muff it up, who cares? It's just a hat!


23 comments:

Chrissy said...

Nom nom nom. What wonderful yarn. No wonder you went a bit crazy. I think I would too. My bank manager is so pleased this yarn is hard to get in the UK!

knithound brooklyn said...

You pick the most gorgeous colors - this one is like burnished gold. Really lovely.

Rose said...

Beautiful!! Love that you adapted the pattern, I need to do that more I think.

Carolyn said...

you ARE a machine.

also there is nothing in this post I love more than "I have decided I am no longer willing to do that....And no one died." :)

Michelle said...

The MadTosh colors you have selected so far make my world go round.. in fact, I am going to attempt to buy some lovely skeins online as soon as my next pay cheque rolls around. That's right, you got me hooked..

Anonymous said...

You could have used two row counters, you know ;-p

Great hat! And great line: "I did _____ and no one died."

peaknits said...

What a beauty - how funny, no one died when you made the pattern less ridiculous to follow - yay!

A-L said...

Love that hat! just a gorgeous colour and the slouch is perfect.

mooncalf said...

It is lovely lovely lovely.

I just has a look to see what a skein of this yarn is selling for in the UK.

Nearly choked to death.

I'll just admire from afar...

ingrid said...

Love this. You've inspired me to knit a matchy-matchy hat to go with my MadTosh Cedar Leaf scarf. Or you could just mail me this one and save me the effort. :)

And I effing love That's What Friends Are For. Jesse LOATHES the tune, which kind of makes it that much more appealing to me. Heh.

Sarah said...

Faboo, as always. Wonder if I must make this hat now, just because of this name. (It's probably too big for a 1-year-old, though, isn't it?)

shandy said...

Excellent match of pattern and yarn.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I like that. Hmm, don't I have some Madeline Tosh lurking around here?

Lynn said...

lOVE the hats!

duni said...

those last few are words to live by. :) love the hat, too.

Jodi said...

What a gorgeous hat... the colors are so beautiful. Add in all that great texture from the cables and stitch pattern -- perfection!

I'm enjoying knitting from the stash still, but I have been longing for some Madelinetosh for months. I keep adding it to my WEBS cart and then sadly exiting the website. There are so many other lovely yarns already in my (numerous) bins of yarn.

editrix said...

I became an MTosh convert when I knit the February Lady sweater in her winy-purple Duchess colorway. Just dreamy! p.s. You are so lucky to have such beautiful models for your equally beautiful work. :)

Juno said...

When you said Shetland Triangle in koigu I had a little spasm. What a terrible image to leave in the heads of innocent passers by.

Juno said...

Now that the Spasm has passed I think I can read the rest...*raises hand to forehead, delicately*

nicole said...

love. Love. LOVE. LOOOOOOOVVVVEEEEE!!!!!!

Kyle Kunnecke said...

gorgeous hat, and amazing yarn. I think knitting with madeline tosh yarn makes every stitch even more pleasurable :)

Far From Perfect said...

i love the color! perfect pattern/yarn seklection.

Mercedes-Benz said...

Lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need, thanks for all the enthusiasm to offer such helpful information here