Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Rhinebeck Sweater, 10 days later

Vine Lace Top Down Cardigan in Rowan Cocoon

After a series of miscalculations as to how long it actually takes to knit two sleeves and a collar [answer: longer than a car ride from PA to NY], this year's Rhinebeck sweater did not make its debut at the ball but instead languished in inchoate agony back in the hotel room. No matter, it's done now and is ready for cool weather action.
Vine Lace Top Down Cardigan in Rowan Cocoon

The Specs:
Pattern: Vine Lace Top-Down Cardigan by Sweaterbabe
Yarn: Rowan Cocoon, 7.5 skeins. The other .5 was sacrificed to my cat and his special libidinal needs [see below].
Needles: size 11
Size: 46
Mods: None really except for inadvertent mistakes...like getting it sopping wet during the blocking process and the sweater getting so stretched out and heavy that the stitches became deformed and resembled chain mail, so much so that you needed to put it in the dryer and it felted ever so slightly...yeah that.

Vine Lace Top Down Cardigan in Rowan Cocoon
I've made this pattern before and it's a complete winner. If you're looking for a big, giant cardigan, this is your next project. It basically took 10 days of on and off knitting, with time out for various other projects [hint: I got LOTS in the pipeline, YO].

Vine Lace Top Down Cardigan in Rowan Cocoon
My cat has confirmed what I thought I detected in him a year ago when I knitted my Heather Hoodie in Rowan Cocoon, and that is he takes a special shine to this yarn. Which is to say that he seems to like having private sexytimes with it as on more than one occasion I have caught him hugging and cuddling the skein as if it were a giant blow up doll. Yes, Mr. Kitten has been caught red handed trying to get it on with some Cocoon. Such a nasty little culprit.

doing unspeakable things to my cardigan
Aww....sorry kitten, you're going to have to take your business elsewhere because this is a respectable family establishment! This sweater is not your own private pleasure pad, mkay?

Vine Lace Top Down Cardigan in Rowan Cocoon
Below you see a mosaic of Rhinebeck which as a truly epic event. Imagine a Star Wars convention of knitters but instead of people in Jedi costumes with light sabers, visualize folks wearing Tea Leaves cardigans holding Jennie the Potter mugs. Get it? Yeah, it's fun. Hope to see you there next year!
Rhinebeck Pals


7 comments:

Ashley said...

Aw, gray Vine Lace! We shall be sweater twins!

Kathy said...

You get special bonus points for using "inchoate" in a post! The sweater looks lovely.

Sarah said...

Well now I am going to have mental images of your cat humping a ball of yarn for the rest of the day. ;-)

Sweater turned out fab, by the way.

nicole said...

CHOKING... ON... MY... ENVY...

(both sweater and Rhinebeckian)

margaux said...

goregous sweater, it's no wonder the cat wants some sexytimes! again, so amazing to meet you!

Anonymous said...

Very nice. I love my Vine Lace Cardigan; it's so cozy.

earthchick said...

Yay Rhinebeck mosaic!

Yay post-Rhinebeck sweater! I, too, failed to finish the sweater I had planned for Rhinebeck (Hallett's Ledge, which I'm still cruising along on). I wore my Vine Lace on Sunday at Rhinebeck (which made it an all SweaterBabe weekend for me, since I wore my Cowl Neck Cables and Lace on Saturday). Yours is lovely! We can be twinsies ... at next year's Rhinebeck! ;)