Monday, January 04, 2010

Empire state of mind

Empire hat-3
First project of 2010 alert! First project of 2010 alert! And it's another Kirsten Kapur winner, folks. I feel like I am that Julie chick and that I'm trying to cook my way through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, except that it's knitting and I'm knitting my way through the Kirsten Kapur design catalog. If you don't know her designs, you should: she is terribly talented and her patterns are among the clearest out there. Do yourself a favor and get on board while you can.
Empire hat
The Specs:
Pattern: Empire Hat by Kirsten Kapur
Yarn: Malabrigo Worsted in Marine, .75 of a skein.
Needles: size 7
Size: small
Mods: AS IF!
Empire hat-4
Because I made this for my friend Dave's daughter, I opted to only do one repeat of the main pattern and went ahead with the size 7 needle. The next one I make will be done on a size 8 and I'll do the full two repeats for optimum whimsy.
Empire hat-2
I was afraid that the recipient would have a bout of shyness and wouldn't want to model the FO for me, so I went ahead and snapped some pics before gifting it. Worrying that all our heads would be too big and not wanting to go the grapefruit route, I remembered my parents New Guinea art collection and that there was a statue that would be a perfect stand-in. Hooray for being home, where despite the -15 temps, I can get something accomplished!
Empire hat-5
Luckily I was wrong and Dave's daughter was a willing accomplice. She squealed when she received the hat and noted that it will match her backpack. So, YAY!

23 comments:

margaux said...

super cute!!! i know the brillz mind of kirsten is just so awesome. i am So on board that train! choo choo!!

Beverly said...

Start a blog, then write a book, then you and Kirsten can play yourselves in the movie!

Wait! You have the blog! You're nearly there!

Kim said...

Love how it turned out! And I am firmly on board the Kirsten boat. She is da bomb.

Barb said...

Oh, for the days of squealing!! Love the hat, yarn and color, and the recipient!

Kirsten said...

Does this mean that Meryl Streep plays me? She's a local girl you know. Thanks for the kindness!!! You make my patterns look good with your whimsical photo shoots and your always entertaining posts.

Empire looks adorable on its new owner.

Bertha said...

I clearly need to make one of these for June, like, tomorrow.

Soto Sister said...

That's really lovely. The color and the pattern are fabulous!

nicole said...

Both you and Kirsten know how to please: KK with her awesome designs, and you with your endless stream of happy customers.

The smile says it all. What a great hat!

Unknown said...

Great hat; great color! I am totally checking out these patterns. Nice work!!

rachel said...

I love that hat! so cute, and great colour.

Danielle said...

Malabrigo? Really? Shocker.

Anonymous said...

Love that hat- just wondering about the finished size/gauge. The pattern calls for a gauge of 22 st/inch. I would imagine that mmmmmmalabrigo knits up more like 20 st/in. So - did you have to take out some of the reps of the mock cable and herrngbone pattern?

Just wondering because I have a big head and am wondering whether I could just use mmmmm at knit at 20 st/in.
MargieinMaryland

Michelle O said...

It is beautiful! As is the one in the post before that, and the one in the post before that, and...

They are all lovely. I can barely finish a baby hat these days! You both inspire me and put me to shame.

:-)

Preeti said...

That's super cute! You're already churning out the 2010 knits, way to go!! happy new year:)

Lindsay said...

Love that blue!

Torhild Reidardatter said...

it is a cute hat!

Anonymous said...

Cute! And you, my dear, have just given me an idea for what to do with the random lone skeins of Malabrigo I have hanging around.

Lynn said...

I love the color of that yarn!!! Great hat and ADORABLE model!

Knittymuggins said...

Just adorable!

knittymuggins

Alison said...

Squeals and hoots! Awesome! A gift well received!

Jodi said...

Such a cute hat! She looks like one happy customer. I especially love the New Guinea art shot.

Ruth said...

I need that hat in my life! It is lovely. And I happen to have a couple of skeins of Mmmmmalabrigo waiting to be knit!

Anonymous said...

holy crap that is a cute hat! And a cute kid too, she looks really happy.
knitter stalking is totally different, I'm saying this cause I started the 52 SP thing and its entirely your fault. ;)