Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Matchmaker, Matchmaker

Ishbel in Hazel Knits 'Euphorbia'
I knew Ishbel was in my future once I saw Yahaira's unbelievably gorgeous rendition over on Flickr. Because this pattern called for sock yarn for non-sock purposes, we were meant to be. After many Flickrpeeps' suggestions, I decided on the Hazel Knits in 'Euphorbia'. This decision was a tough one. VĂ©ro and others made the case for 'Pond Scum' and as it is now giving me the stink eye from the bottom of the yarn pile, I might have to break it out for some socks.
Ishbel in Hazel Knits 'Euphorbia'
I was going gang busters as my dad would say on the stockinette portion of Ishbel and then totally ran out of gas when I hit the lace chart. I mean everything came to a grinding, screeching halt. Luckily all it took to get going again was seeing Miss Abundance's version and her little words of encouragement to keep going and I was on a roll once again. Thanks Lisa!
Ishbel in Hazel Knits 'Euphorbia'
The Specs
Pattern: Ishbel by Ysolda Teague
Yarn: Hazel Knits Sock Yarn in 'Euphorbia'
Needles: Size 6
Mods: I made the smaller one but can well imagine that the larger version in a dk weight might kick some serious ass.
Ishbel in Hazel Knits 'Euphorbia'Ishbel in Hazel Knits 'Euphorbia'
The shots above remind me of many hours of neighborhood hijinx playing 'Fiddler on the Roof'. All the girls would grab a dish towel and twirl around belting out the songs from our driveway Anatevka. Enjoy:

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

It came out perfect!! I love the slight variegation. Maybe Pond Scum can turn into the Ishbel hat ; )

knithound brooklyn said...

You made the right choice with the Euphorbia. It suits the shawl beautifully.

Yarnhog said...

Absolutely beautiful! Maybe you need to make another in dk weight! ;)

Jodi said...

It turned out beautifully! I love the spring green.

Speaking of Ishbel, I ran out of yarn about 5/6 of the way through my bind-off. D'oh! A fellow raveler is helping me out and sending more.

Sonya said...

Gorgeous! Perfect color for spring too. That may just be the pattern that gets me to do lace.

grumperina said...

So, so beautiful! It's a wonderful color.

Anonymous said...

That is gorgeous! Wow! Wow! Wow! Now I have to cast on too.

Lisa D. said...

I'm so glad you finished it - it's stunning! I love that shade of green. Isn't it a great little shawl?

indieknits said...

Wow, it's almost the same colour as my Ishbel!

Sarah said...

Believe it or not, I actually had some Fiddler in my head this morning when I woke up. Now I'll be singing "Matchmaker, Matchmaker" all day. I guess there are worse things.

Your shawl is lovely. I've been trying so hard not to fall for this one, but I might be a lost cause.

YawnOver said...

Very pretty! Really great color.

Amy said...

That's gorgeous, and such a great *size*!

Holli said...

Once again, you deliver another amazing handknit. Gorgeous!

mooncalf said...

Lovely - I just bought the matching beret pattern yesterday and you're making me want to cast on immediately!

Anonymous said...

You chose a gorgeous color for this pattern. Isn't if fun?! Just when it gets to be too much, you're done! I love the green against black.

Kirsten said...

Oh that greeeneeen! So, so gorgeous.
I was sporting the same matchmaker look when I went out to take some garden measurements in the rain this morning. The look is much more charming on Tween Thing.

weezalana said...

Very pretty!

So my mind immediately went to "call me Ishbel..." Aaaand now the Fiddler and Moby Dick are both stuck in my head. I wonder which one will win?

Kim said...

Awesome color and it's just so lovely. Way better than a dishtowel. How about a video of you dancing and singing with Ishbel?
Looking forward to seeing what you knit with the Pond Scum.

Chris Tolomei (alicethelma) said...

Seriously one of the most beautiful handknits I've seen around the web in a long while.

margaux said...

gorgeous! i really love it!

Anonymous said...

Matchmaker. Matchmaker. Beautiful. Beautiful

WonderMike said...

I can always count on something pretty and green from you, My Dear! And thanks for the Fiddler love. I needed a little musical interlude today.

sophanne said...

Wonder what it would look like in some Noro Sock yarn....hmmm

a friend to knit with said...

you know i am in love with that. the color is fantastic.
and your photos gorgeous!

peaknits said...

Wow - gorgeous! I love the colorway - and need to queue up this shawl:)

Veronique said...

I'd give you the stink eye too, except your Ishbel is too pretty to keep me in a bad mood!

nicole said...

So pretty! The lovely green is perfect for spring. And the pond scum? Well you could make a wicked pair of Snickets like I did:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/cocoknits/snicket-socks

Melissa said...

Absolutely gorgeous. I love the color!

AllyB said...

I love this as a scarf! It looks great, I am so ordering that booklet. Thank you

Sereknitty said...

Beautiful -- and, in my favourite colour to boot!

Anonymous said...

I looooove your Ishabel. The color is so scrumptious!

Sue said...

That is gorgeous! The green is such a lovely shade, makes me think of the eucalypts here in high summer

Unknown said...

Beautiful!
Now I have that song in my head! hehehe

Spinning Ninny said...

I love the Fiddler reference. I just saw it last week with Topol. It was so good live! :)