Sunday, June 15, 2008

Keep It Simple Stupid: Summer Knitting Goals 2008

It's that time of the year to set some summer knitting goals. Thanks to Ali for reminding me to make my goals public, thereby insuring that none of them will ever come to fruition. Heh. Do we really need to revisit last summer's goals, which involved making cocktails a priority and didn't really seem to produce much in the way of impressive knitting objects? I'd be lying if I said that adult beverages weren't still a part of my summer plans this year, but hopefully they won't interfere with my knitting. Maybe we'll just try to use the k.i.s.s. principle (see title of post) and set the bar really, really low, so that I can feel triumphant at the end of the summer rather than diminished, dejected and bitter (emotions that I am very prone to feeling, but just hopefully not about my knitting this time around). So here goes:

Chevron in Progress
1. Continue on with the cavalcade of Chevron scarves. The one pictured above is almost half way completed--and I know this is a shocker, but some imprudent late night clickety on the Blue Moon Fiber Arts Website means that I have three more color combos on deck, so I'll be chevroning well into 2010. You can see the color combos below, one is my own, the other two are shamelessly cribbed from others, more intrepid than me:
Future Chevrons of America Unite!


2. Choose a good project for the Tour de France KAL--one that won't instantly leave me dead in the water, like the Canal du Midi fiasco of 2007. It needs to be a project that I can bring along with me to Paris, where I'll actually be for the finish of the race. This potentially has kismet written all over it, so I need to choose well.
Blueberry Waffle Socks in STR Heavyweight in Lagoon.
3. Complete all of the various socks that I have on the go at the moment (that would be three singletons). Top of the list to finish are the Blueberry Waffle (above), a pattern which is beyond easy. STR Heavyweight on a size 4 needle? These should have done ages ago!

4. Knit a pair of socks for a new friend. Isn't making new friends such a thrill? I recently met a fantastic fellow with whom I instantly clicked, and since I'll be seeing him again soon, I figure I have plenty of time to whip up a pair of socks in some STR Heavyweight in Lagoon. Any pattern suggestions?

5. Watch as many Busby Berkeley musicals as I can get my hands on. Not a knitting goal, but those crazy dance routines are truly some of the nuttiest, most impressive moments of cinema ever created. And somehow watching depression-era escapist extravaganzas seems appropriate for these financially precarious times. See for yourself:



24 comments:

Sarah said...

I think just finishing one Chevron Scarf in a summer would be a big enough challenge for me. I do love the one you've got going now!

Alice said...

Busby Berkeley! *goes over to dvd rental site to update list of summer rentals*

Hedgerow looks perfect for that Jitterbug.

Anonymous said...

Oh man. Nothing like Busby Berkeley to keep things in crazy perspective!

Michelle - formerly of PSU Altoona and now of Centre County Libraries in Bellefonte

Yarnhog said...

My only knitting goal at the moment is to get through the rest of June without buying any more yarn. I was going to shoot for the whole summer, but realism reared its ugly head and I decided to go for something slightly more achievable.

Knittymuggins said...

What fantastic summer goals! Glad the adult beverages are still in order ;) And I agree - new friends are the awesomest! How lucky that your new friend will be getting a lovely new pair of socks :) Best of luck with this summer's goals!!

knittymuggins

Anonymous said...

Yes, keeping it simple in the summer works for me!

Thanks for the compliment but I think you have great taste too!

Kim said...

What may be an awful color for a couch (Vincent's Apron?) is fabulous for a sock. Actually, that coloro on a sofa might be so wrong it's right. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you as you venture into Chevron World!!!!

YawnOver said...

I think it was William James who mentioned something about how when we can't live up to our potential we sometimes just lower our expectations? Like, when things crap out we just tinker with the formula for self esteem a little. Hmm...maybe he was a knitter ;)

Anonymous said...

Dude! I didn't even have the sound on on my pc, but that video made me think I'd eaten a bad mushroom. Holy wow.

I cannot believe I've still not made a Chevron. I need to do this. Those are some lovely choices you've made for Summertime knitting fun.

Anonymous said...

I love your summer goals. I decided to knit a Chevron scarf this summer also, but my first color combo choice was yucky! So back to the drawing board- Your colors look great & I look forward to seeing your other Chevrons.

margaux said...

awesome goals!! haha but you remind me of myself... why make a list when I NEVER abide by it ;-) love the Chevrons, too!

Alison said...

I'm once again envious of your travel plans...
Old couches or not, that is a very cool color of sock yarn. I can't wear that color on anything but my feet without looking violently ill, but that doesn't stop me from loving it.

Great goals, don't let a list of goals become a harsh taskmaster- they are only meant to be a guide, a simple reminder of some things we intended to do during a busy time when it's so easy to forget to knit at all, and easier to forget about that great pattern we saw somewhere and that we actually intended to make one of those..

Let go of the guilt- and just have fun with some summer knitting plans!

Happy knitting-
ali

Kate said...

The chevrons look great, Heather. My summer knitting list is mostly socks and other small projects, as it gets far too hot and humid to knit anything big. Can't wait to see your Tour de France project. Stop by my blog and pick up the team button!

nova said...

I have decided that I have no goals. I am going to go aimless this summer and see what happens. This probably means I will get very little done. But that's okay...you know, it's summer. And the yellow of the Hedgerows are not just a little amazing.

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

Love the hedgerows! Glad to see adult beverages are still part of the plan. Sounds like a fantastic Summer!

weezalana said...

Hehehe - it's amazing how much more you can accomplish when you lower your standards. That's how I met my husband! ;)

For the butch socks, how about Retro Rib from IK? It has a little more oomph than plain ribbing, a fun retro vibe, and doesn't make you want to impale yourself with the boredom of plain rib for miles of man size socks.

Philigry said...

lovely goals. I tried to have knitting goals this summer, like knit my boys some christmas sweaters, but i just can't get into them. I am a selfish knitter at the moment. Oh well.

Unknown said...

I LOVE the color combo of the scarf you have on the needles! Wow. I am beginning to feel left out on this whole chevron scarf thing. I might have to just go for it!

a friend to knit with said...

i really need to come up with some goals. my mind is ALL over the place.
that is the best video! maybe i could come up with a goal to knit that white ruffle dress. :)

Sonya said...

Good summer plans, especially the adult beverage part. The Chevron you have going now is gorgeous.

Jennie said...

Great goals! I may need to make a list myself. :)

James said...

Oh and as far as butch patterns go, wouldn't refering to it as butch automatically disqualify it as such? My vote is always for 5x1 rib. It's classy.

Knitting Bandit said...

Okay--I'm jealous. I was in Paris last year at the end of the race. I want to go back so bad... that being said. Look at you! Chevron crazy! I've also been there...after three I had to get away quickly...there's way to many gorgeous color combo's, as you've discovered! My wrists were starting to ache! Love the colors in the photo.

Judy Brutz said...

I love the concept of a cavalcade of chevron. Please could you give me more information on what the cavalcade is?
You do beautiful knitting.