Tuesday, August 28, 2007

World of Pain: The Back-to-School Edition

I know that people who, as my husband says, "work in industry" will not feel the least bit sorry for me. Neither will people who report dutifully to their posts year round, work their shifts like the respectable paycheck earners that they are, and then go home to pursue their hobbies in their free time. Nor will academics/teachers for whom knitting is a pleasant side activity. They most likely accord to it a measured and healthy amount of weekly time and manage to balance their knitting with work. But if there are those out there like me for whom The Knitting Lifestyle has surpassed the bounds of decency and have spent their summer knitting fiddling while Rome burns, I know you are feeling the depths of despair with me right now. WOW am I hurting. Knitting seems to have permanently damaged my work habits as I have become accustomed to hours and hours of swatching, Ravelry-ing and just general yarn induced lollygagging. So yeah, it's back to school for this Knitting Knucklehead and it's not pretty.
GemCherry Tree Hill Sockitome in Potluck: Jewels
Cherry Tree Hill Sockitome in Potluck: Blues/Greens
Luckily one of my fave LYSs is right on the route home from work, so I deadened the pain with some yarn. Hey, that's what it's there for, right? Stitch Your Art Out is a fantastic store for many reasons, the main one being that Kim and Cynthia are always keeping it fresh. Every time you go there, it's a new store because of the constant stream of new inventory. HELL to the YEAH. So I got some Cherry Tree Hill Sockitome in Potluck Jewels and Potluck Blues/Greens. You know, just to be nice and all.
RPM socks in Wollmeise 'Rhabarber'
I am progressing nicely on the Wollmeise RPM socks. There is a lot of hyperbole being thrown around these days in Claudia's direction, and let me just that it is all quite deserved. The colors are out of this world, and this yarn is like velvet...so if you can get your hands on some, I say DO IT NOW because the Yarn Harlot recently blogged about it and you know what that means, folks: scarcity city.

29 comments:

Ashley said...

You KNOW I feel our pain. Don't worry, we can be sorry for each other,even if no one else is sorry for us.

Anonymous said...

Even those of us who work year round suffer the same withdrawal - it's just every MONDAY!

Why must you taunt us with the Wollmeise? I went to the site the first time you mentioned it, but when I saw it was not automated, I gave up. It does look tempting...

Olga said...

I think we all need some low impact Mondays on our plate. Likey the yarn, very yummy colorway. I think while you all worker bees are going to the hive, I'll flit from yarn shop to yarn shop browsing.Hee hee. Hard work! very hard!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I am too jealous of your previous knitting lifestyle to be of much help. Well, okay, I experienced a *twinge* of sympathy ;)

schrodinger said...

It sucks to be back at work after such a lovely break eh?

mmmmm Wollmeise, I really want to get my hands on some of that stuff one day - but now that harlot's done her thing, who knows when that'll be eh?

Octopus Knits said...

At least you have yarn to dull the pain of re-entry... that Wollmeise is gorgeous. I'll have to get my hands on some...

Anonymous said...

Actually I feel your pain a bit, maybe even more. I haven't worked properly since November. I'm totally a lazy, knitting slug. But the craziness starts now.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya - from a uni student perspective. :)

gradschoolknitter said...

Yep, I definitely feel the pain. A summer of leisure (staying in pj's with Dr. BF and watching movies sometimes until late in the afternoon while knitting like a fiend...) has ruined me for grad school!

peaknits said...

I as I sit here and watch Rome burn, I am admiring your rhubarber socks. I nodded vigorously that the Wollmeise is like velvet - I think it is my favorite yarn ever - and I like how the RPM's are coming out in it, thanks for another pattern to add to the ole queue - the wollmeise group at ravelry is indeed creating more adiction that I know what to do with. I just started a simple rib in another colorway, just in love with this yarn!

Sonya said...

I agree with Kim: the pain is every Monday. I look longingly over on my shoulder at my knitting as I'm heading out the door. Luckily, I'm able to limp through the day with blogs and ravelry until I can get home to my WIPs at 5:30.

That first Cherry Tree Hill colorway is just like sunshine!

Sourire11 said...

Yeah not much sympathy coming from over here... but at least you have faboo yarn and a great pattern to help ease the transition for you!

Unknown said...

Is the top yarn cheery tree hill really potluck jewels? I looked it up and didn't see that lovely color combination...

Heather said...

I loooove tea pots. I sort of collect them. There is this big classic one at my tea shop that is this gorgeous eggplant colour. I want it soooooo bad :D

Good idea :) Thanks for the suggestion!

Jennie said...

I know what ya mean. :(

On a happy note,fantastic stash enhancement. Both skeins are just gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Gosh, I wish I felt your pain. But I am one of those stay at home mothers who gets to spend all her spare time knitting. WA HA HA! Love that first yarn. You should just give it to me since you now have a time shortage...

Tammy said...

I homeschool most of my kids. We were going to start Monday but right before I gathered the brood, I got a Ravelry invite. We'll be starting today instead... and I will be focusing on self-discipline this year.

YawnOver said...

Nice additions to the stash. I feel your pain :)

Heather said...

I also agree that the pain is every Monday. But I can at least understand what you're going through. You just need to make it through until fall break, right? That's practically around the corner. And I'm sure there's no class to teach on Labor Day. :)

sophanne said...

I join your Knitting Knuckleheadedness Pathology. Here is the truth. When I found out open house was going to be on the Knit Night(what I was anticipating as my escape to summer knitting feel) I could feel the depression and gloom envelop me. Last night when it was over, I was to tired to have any skilled knitting mojo so I just kept casting things on, making mistakes, and frogging. Husband asked "what are you knitting?" (not recognizing a sock or tangled yoke) and I despondently said "I don't know-I just need to knit."

~Kristie said...

You selected the perfect pattern to show off the Wollmeise yarn. I can't wait to see your finished socks!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that Wollmeise has got to make your reentry wounds feel a bit better. The Knitting Lifestyle, sounds luxurious to me!

Anonymous said...

Oohhhh....aaaahhhh...nice yarn!

Zarzuela said...

As one who had to work all summer, not much sympathy here. But I am glad that there is a dealer...er... um... I mean Yarn Store on your way home to ease your transition. ;) Great colors!

Jessica

Knittymuggins said...

Wow! Love the yarn in that last photo! Must.Have.Some.Now. I'm sorry you have to go back to school :( I can feel your pain since I haven't been able to knit a stitch in 3 days! Hope you get some fiber related lollygagging time in soon!

knittymuggins

Pheelya said...

Teacher's Unite! *giggle* I am going through that same adjustment period and I've been back to school/work for three weeks now. Of course, I have the principal from HELL and already counting the days till June! *laugh*

Love all the sock yarn!!

pamela wynne said...

Ack! I SO feel your pain! I mean, technically I was supposed to be working/writing all summer, but we know how THAT went. :)

TheBlackSheep said...

Despite being one of those people who works full time, year 'round, I do feel for you. Really, I do.

It's just that I feel for myself even more since I don't have the break at all :P

Good luck with the Yarn Withdrawl. - You might try putting a small ball in your pocket so you can just touch it once in a while. Somthing like a nicotine patch in your pocket. Just to tide you over...

Mari said...

I am definitely feeling your pain. It was very difficult to get back into the routine of going back to work after such a nice long summer break of knitting.

Have a good school year. Thanksgiving and Christmas are just around the corner. :)