Thursday, August 16, 2007

Mail Call!

If there is one thing I love, it's getting parcels in the mail. You can keep your supermarket fliers, your credit card offers and your 'have you seen me?' mailings that come at an ever increasing clip. When I get to that mailbox, nothing gives me a greater frisson than a package. I am certain this is why in college I began a love affair with catalogs, and then later with Internet shopping. I believe it was all a big ruse for me to rustle up some special delivery joy for myself. Lately I haven't had to create any scams or confabulations to receive happiness in the mail, it's just happened.

Jenny from the Lone Knitter sent me this fantastic Lane Borgosesia yarn as a prize from her cancer drive on her blog: Lane Borgosesia Merinos Extra Fine
Our group knit a bunch of squares and received this as a prize donated by Knit-a-bit in Westfield, NJ. Although the selfish little bugger in me would love to scream "Mine all MINE-mwahahahaha", the polite Episcopalian in me will be dutifully turning it back over to our church knitting group so we can make some other charity project with this lovely pink yarn. Thanks for a great project, Jen!

Speaking of Jens, Miss Knitting Sutra sent me a skein of Scheepjes that I have yet to show you. My love of all things Dutch is well documented, so receiving this creamsicle-colored sock yarn made my heart skip a beat:Scheepjes Invincta Coloris

Thanks to both of you!

KH cardigan from Lace Style

I am in the process of finishing my Embossed Leaves socks which are turning out to be one of my favorite patterns ever, and when I do, I believe that I will be all socked-out. Is this is indeed possible? In anticipation of this state of sock fatigue, I have picked up a long haul wip that was on the verge of moving into permanent hibernation. The Katharine Hepburn Cardigan from Lace Style--a gorgeous piece of artistry but WOW is it taking forever. I am almost at the arm hole decreases and this feels like a major victory. Wasn't this going to be such a cute early summer affair? Look for this to possibly be done by next Easter...

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

It IS so exciting to receive packages in the mail, even when you've ordered them yourself. My dog knows when there is a package in the door, and he insistantly lets me know until I go retrieve it.

I love the way the Katherine Hepburn cardigan is coming along. I hope you don't decide to let it hibernate. It's too pretty.

Ashley said...

Oooh, I love that sweater! It would definitely be a shame to let it languish.

Karen said...

I agree, packages are so much fun . . . even if they contain stuff you are sharing with others. I'm having fun receiving prizes people are donating to SAM4 . . . it's thrilling to open them up, even if they will be sent off to someone else. It makes me feel like Santa, looking over toys from the elves. LOL Socked out???? Say it isn't so? I didn't think that condition existed.

Faith said...

"Socked out"? "Sock fatigue"? Y'all are the reason why I'm going knit crazy! (Keep up the KH cardigan- it's so gorgeous!)

Faith said...

Did that sound rude? I didn't mean it that way. I meant it in a good way. Good knitting crazy. Excuse me while I go nuzzle a BALL OF YARN.

Sarah said...

The KP cardigan was the one pattern I really liked in "Lace Style," but I didn't buy it because I knew it would be the kind of pattern I'd be all excited to cast on and then I'd never finish it. I'll be cheering you on to finish yours from the sidelines instead!

Anonymous said...

That KH cardigan has caught my eye numerous times, but it does seem like it might be a slog. Definitely something I'd want to wear, but maybe not something I'd want to knit... Who knows. I'm eager to see how yours turns out!

sophanne said...

I'm guessing that you probably have a few more packages coming given your recent run of contest luck! Woo Hoo!

Anonymous said...

I love getting boxes in the mail, too. The KH cardi is beautiful! That's on my list to knit at some point, but it does look like it will take a long time. Keep up the good work!

YawnOver said...

Love the KHC. You are doing a beautiful job. Nice pink yarn, score 1 for the Episcopalians! I play for that team too ;)

Sonya said...

Sock fatigue is temporary. Trust me. That Hepburn cardigan is tempting my to buy Lace Style. Maybe the library needs a copy. Bwaaa-haaaa-haaaaa.

...Sarah said...

I too share your package joy. I love getting things in the mail. I always wonder about those people afraid to order online. They must never experience that momentary bliss.

That is a lovely sweater.

Meghann said...

Oh, very nice. The sweater is lovely!

I too have a bit of a "problem" about receiving boxes. It all started when my daughter was a baby and I was ordering cloth diapers over the internet. I loved getting fun goodies to open up and it has carried over to now, excpet all the goodies are for me! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Yo I started the embossed leaves socks because of you- they looked too cool! Good for you on your postman's deliveries, Miss DoGooder.

peaknits said...

Socked out? Egads, woman, get to the doctor...okay, seriously, it is nice to have a little line up of knit projects - each with their own pros and cons - you'll get back to socks. You are one lucky prize winner!!:)

Robin said...

Love that pink yarn - yum! I love getting mail too...my mail lady and UPS man probably don't love it as much as I do (LOL).

Diane said...

That's a whole lot of yarnie goodness.

Pikku- Kettu said...

Packages are my favourite thing too! I think our mail-girl is not loving them so much though since we don't exactly live on the ground floor. She keeps giving me these weird looks as she asks me to sign for my packages (which are pretty frequent to arrive).

Lone Knitter said...

I love getting packages too! I'm glad that the yarn will be useful to you and your church group. Thanks again.

Sourire11 said...

I'm also all about the packages... which is a major factor in many of my online yarn purcheses... eh.

Pretty Cardigan! Gotta love the pink!

carrie said...

nice haul! i think i saw a knit a bit t-shirt at the stitch n bitch that said, what happens at knit a bit stays at knit a bit. funny ..

Dove Knits said...

Hang in there with the cardigan! You can do it! What IS it with evil, forever-taking cardigans lately?

I love seeing your loot. And I, too, love getting things in the mail! I've had a lovely mail week here, too, since my birthday just passed, and I am in heaven. Buying things from a store just isn't as satisfying on some levels.

schrodinger said...

Packages of the kind you've shown are the best aren't then>

Anonymous said...

Keep the yarn for yourself.... we promise we won't tell!

James said...

That is very noble of you to not steal fiber from a house of God. On the bright side, you still get to knit it! I feel you on the socks. While I didn't knit nearly as many as you did in the past year, I had to switch to something else as well. I am wholly and utterly convinced that your cardigan is going to be awesome! And hey, who doesn't need an easter sweater?

Anonymous said...

Embossed Leaves is my favourite sock pattern too - I will never stop knitting it. Or Monkey. Or Charade. :)

Anonymous said...

Man, I'm starting to believe that socks are getting the better of me too! I spent hours and hours knitting in the car on vaca, and still only have one heel turn to show for it. :( I am skeptical that they really are the quick little projects we think them to be. I'm looking forward to my fall projects.

Zarzuela said...

Beautiful yarns! I was looking at that KH cardi in the book yesterday myself. Takes a long time eh? Hmmm... best put that one out of my mind considering my current yarn stash then....

Jessica

Anonymous said...

KH is very pretty! It sounds like a good project for picking up and putting down between other quick knits...sometimes it's the only way to get through those big projects.

Unknown said...

I never would have thought it possible, The ADD Knitter sick of socks!!! I love that sweater and I don't even have the book yet.

~Kristie said...

I LOVE getting yarn in the mail too. Nothing can turn a crappy day into pure joy, like receiving packages.

I definitely want to knit the KH cardi too, but I'm unsure I could commit to something so major. I think I should probably just stick to socks.