Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Snow day



What two words strike joy in the hearts of all those, be they elementary schoolers or middle-aged college profs, who find themselves in a northern town and beholden to the strictures and constraints of the school drill? SNOW DAY! Yes, today a little bit of magic poured down on Nascar, PA. and Penn State gave its peeps a blessed release from the work day grind.

Some of us found time for frolicking in the white stuff, with the requisite hot chocolate afterwards...




The Darling Resident Marxist Curmudgeon spent part of the day indulging me in one of my favorite (non-NC17) activities, a special little game we call piano lounge singer!I cue up the cd player to a song of my choosing.He has to play accompaniment on piano, no matter what the song is. Note: we have divergent musical tastes. I am an indie alt pop tart from way back and he's a fool for prog rock, so he always balks at my selections and feels compelled to add his own cultural commentary that usually includes phrases like 'shallow' and 'music for a totalitarian state'. I love that part. This afternoon he was forced to play along with several totally 80s hits from Squeeze ("Oh oh Black coffee in bed...") and my personal favorite,"Video Killed the Radio Star". Did you know that any pop song can be broken down into like three cords? Please also note that those facial expressions are ones that he makes in real life and have not been photoshopped in any way.





After that all-too brief moment of Valentine's Day musical hilarity, I did exactly what any of you would have done. I spent the entire afternoon knitting, and finished my koigu socks. Let me take this opportunity to once again tout the two circular needles drill--I love it.
I am ready for my next pair, when oh when is that Socks that Rock kit coming? Oh did I mention that I joined 'the club'? You call that buying yarn? FYI: since it was a $210 MEMBERSHIP FEE that doesn't really count as buying yarn.
Today was loads of fun. I hope all of you had your own special snow day with your own special crew!

14 comments:

schrodinger said...

Sounds like a wonderful snow day, you really made the most of it didn't you? Hope you get that STR soon.

Lone Knitter said...

Love the pictures of your husband on piano. How funny! The socks look great. The color is really to my liking. I want a kitchen that color. So you really love the two circ method? I just might have to give it a try. & I also love Video Killed the Radio Star.

Amanda said...

Socks look great! I miss being able to play the piano since I moved out of my parents house....eons ago....sounds like ya'll enjoyed your snow day, we are on our 3rd day in a row now I'm thinking they should just cancel tomorrow for the heck of it LOL.

Karen said...

Hurray for snow days!!!! Gotta love that 80s music. LOL Your Koigu socks look so comfy - love the colors!!

gradschoolknitter said...

I'm all about the 2 circs too... Although I can handle dpns if there are only 3 involved...

Prof. Knitwit said...

That sounds like the best way to spend a snow day ever!! Great job on the socks too!

Anonymous said...

The pics of DRMC are hysterical!!!

jenni said...

I have your photos still! Haven't heard from you so I haven't sent them yet- but I have them when you want them... jmccoy@periscope.com.

Little one looks so grown up!

Finished socks! Wow- they looked just started when I saw them here in mpls. Was fun to see you - I've inspred to get back to knitting!

carrie said...

oh, how i long for a snow day! (and video killed the radio star is a personal fave of mine, too.)

WonderMike said...

Socks are LURVELY. I just paid my STR fee. I'm so excited, too!!!!

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

Snow day huh? We have had tons of snow lately but no snow days… not fair. Love the piano pics. I miss having a piano in the house. My fave 80's song… Alison.

Lone Knitter said...

Hey, there. Is think that something might be going on with our flickr accounts. Mine was acting funny (pictures showing up on my badge that weren't mine) and so I checked yours to see if anyone else was affected or if it was just me. I saw pictures on your photostream that I'm sure weren't yours, so you might want to just beware. I think something funny is happening.

Lone Knitter said...

ps. I hope I didn't alarm you. Apparently everything is well with flickr now--they had a problem with their server cache or something ? I don't know what that means exactly, but I guess it's fixed now.

KnitPastis said...

That's funny because my husband and I were just talking about a piano. He plays a little, me not at all. Just read him this post and now he says "oh great, now that song is stuck in my head" Music Killed The Radio Star. LOL
Looks like a fun time!