Sunday, September 10, 2006

Top down madness


It used to be that lit. crit. academic types like myself used to hear a term like 'top down' and immmediately think of some sort of materialist critique of political economic systems. Now as a knitter I hear the term and have a little frisson that has nothing to do with Marxism. I now know the real thrill of top down, it's not just for economists anymore! I am working on the Knitting Pure and Simple's Men's Top Down Cardigan and I am loving it. It's a similar vibe as that of the Green Gable, except since it's a cardigan, it's not knit in the round. It has the easy sleeve shaping and progresses very quickly. I'm doing it in Kraemer Yarns Summit Hill, which is a nice, springy machine washable worsted yarn from Bethlehem, PA. So far I am really liking this yarn, it had a beautiful hand and is looking like it's going to be a winner. I am also reveling in the lack of seaming involved with this sweater. I have sworn off seaming, for good. Luckily I ran into a woman who lives a block from me that does finishing on the side and charges about $25/sweater. I do have several WIPs that will need it, and I will not hesitate to darken her door. In any case, here's to hoping that the A.D.D. stays at bay long enough to make some headway on this project and that I don't loose steam. Pictured below are the baby socks that I finished about 15 minutes before I had to leave for the party where I was to see the nice girl from Iowa, who graciously thanked me for them and seemed to enjoy them. Knitting for appreciative Midwesterners is a true delight!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay for no seams!! Gotta love a sweater that doesn't require a whole lotta seaming! Adorable baby booties, you whipped them up super quick : )

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh. What cute socks!

Lone Knitter said...

Someone who does the finishing for knitting projects? A friend and I once talked about how we loved knitting but hated weaving in ends and all that finishing stuff; we dreamt about paying someone to do it. I didn't know that this dream was a reality for some people. That is awesome!

p.s. CUTE baby socks!

Anonymous said...

2 Cute!

Anonymous said...

Awww.... the baby booties are cute. I'm with you when it comes to seaming...strong dislike for the same. That's why I usually knit Wonderful Wallaby sweaters for the wee ones.

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

How cool you found someone to do finishing for you! The no seams thing has me very interested. I just picked up the pattern from Knitting Pure & Simple for the top down wrap cardigan. Had planned to do Green Gable and still will but I wanted to try a "real" sweater. I hear their patterns are awsome. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

Dove Knits said...

Having someone ELSE do the seaming? Brilliant!

(Cute socks!)

Anonymous said...

You have someone to do the seaming?!! That is awesome! I think her price is reasonable for that type of work. This is awesome and I'm jealous I haven't found someone yet. The baby socks are adorable!