Saturday, June 03, 2006

Sock of the month club


The Summer Sock Challenge has taken an interesting turn. After having finished the Eat Your Veggies Claudia's Hand Painted socks (see pic below), I had a little bit o' extra yarn, which should come as no surprise given my extreme impatience with the cuff. As I had yet to finish the baby sweater for the Sweet-as-Pie colleague from Iowa, I decided to whip up a pair of baby socks and achieve the dual goal of having a baby present for a baby that was born on Mother's Day and feeling like a thrifty knitter, the type that actually uses yarn up out of her stash rather than endlessly acquires it and leaves it on a shelf to collect dust. I used the Cabin Fever Little Speckled Toes pattern, which was so easy and required me to use 5 dpns for the first time (normally I go the 4 dpn route). Huge fan of all Cabin Fever patterns, they are well written and very easy to follow.I have to say that completing these socks was such a pleasure--they are so miniature and, well, perfect! Giving one pair of socks as a baby present seemed semi-chintzy (sp?), especially for such a nice gal, so I decided to enroll her baby in the first-ever, A.D.D. Knitter 'Sock of the Month' club, (not as choice as the 'Fruit of the Month' club, for sure, but it's better that a lot of other baby gifts, I suppose) which means that I get to make a pair of these adorable socks every month for a year. I am so excited about this! I know I need to get a life, but the idea of getting to spend a little time on these every month is very appealing.

7 comments:

Sherri said...

This is one of the coolest ideas I have ever heard! What a wonderful gift! If I did that, I'd have to make some ahead for the months I forgot, haha....but really, I think you are incredibly thoughtful!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Mom is going to love it.

Dove Knits said...

I looove those socks. Both pairs! I love the pooling effect in the big ones, and what's not to love on the little ones! Good job.

MandyJ said...

Those are the cutest baby socks I have ever seen!!! And a great idea!

Melissa said...

Love the baby socks! I need to knit some!!

Lone Knitter said...

Those are the cutest little socks ever! You know, I'm remembering now that you're a professor of French! Silly me! That was the exam that I failed and had to retake and here you were all along! Sounds like you have a year of happy cute knitting ahead of you.

Anonymous said...

I love your socks and think the baby socks are just adorable!! I love the Sock of the Month Club idea! I plan on borrowing it once I get back from the honeymoon and go back to my regular knitting schedule. I love making small instant gift. Makes me feel like I've actually accomplished something and people always love it 'cause it was hand made. Great idea! hmmm....is it possible for you to turn this into a book? Think about it.