Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Meret-ocracy, or, Hand-NOTS for the Holidays

A Meret for me
In a perfect world, everyone I love would be getting a Meret for Christmas, as they are exceedingly easy to churn out. Everyone deserves one. Honestly, if you start right now can you can easily finish by tomorrow morning, with time out for egg nog and the like. But sadly, my Holiday Handknitting 09 (tm) has consisted of frantically digging through my FO pile in order to pull out a (natty?) shawl for my mother in law. Yes, my holiday knitting is a giant serving of HELLA with a festive, heaping side-dish of NO. Just the way mama likes it!

A Meret for me
The Specs:
Pattern: Meret by Woolly Wormhead
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Donegal Luxury Aran Tweed in #14, 1.25 skeins
Needles: size 8
Size: cast on for the medium but did three repeats total for slouchiness. Like (1).

A Meret for me
I could imagine a person going hog wild with the various combos: 'medium size on size 7s with the large repeats/ large size on size 8s with the medium repeats', etc. It's a truly versatile pattern, people. I am quite happy with this iteration, and if I make more, I think I might have found the golden combination.

A Meret for me
Here's to hoping that my Freethinking Pagan Pals had a rock solid Solstice and that all my Hebrew peeps had a killer Hannukah.

The Snowy Day

I know that my Christmas has been made because Peeper-Lou uttered the most Christmasy of all phrases last night under the tree: "...it's like the presents are blood and I am a vampire, tempted by them!". Happy Holidays!


16 comments:

knithound brooklyn said...

Ah, Christmas joy in these modern times!

Heather said...

Have a (mwah mwah mwah) Merry Christmas!

Hey- let's all start a Meret Brigade in aught ten.

peaknits said...

Oh loving that Meret - may I have one? Wait - hella NO - love that! And Peeper Lou - what a funny girl!

kim said...

Okay, Peeper Lou? Obviously has inherited her mom's funny bone. I may actually use that line with Jim's tween/teen on Thursday! Love the Meret, and I have 2 skeins of that yarn (like I have time!). Merry Christmas!

Rose said...

Love the Meret and thanks for the link; it's now on my list.

Anonymous said...

Love the Meret.

Peeper Lou is a hoot!

Merry Christmas!
margieinmaryland

jane said...

Love the tweed meret and the oh-so-2009 Christmas metaphor :) Happy holidays!

nicole said...

Stop being so hilarious and send me your address! You thought that pretty knitting and adorable offspring would distract me, didn't you? Ha. This pretty photo of your snowy street provides no useful geographical information, but don't think I wouldn't forward it to my CSI Ottawa office (stop laughing, surely we have one) so that they can plug it into their macro-blower-upper, zooming in on that sideways street sign and sussing out your exact location. Ve have vays...

Knittymuggins said...

Hat looks wonderful on you! I agree on the "Hella No" when it comes to Christmas presents this year. I didn't knit any either. More time to drink egg nog ;)

Love Peeper-Lou's Christmas comment!! Hope all of you have a joyous holiday :)

knittymuggins

Yarnhog said...

Love that Peeper-Lou!

I'm not doing a single knitted gift this year. Yippee! I did finish a pair of socks for me and a sweater for me, and I'm halfway through another sweater for...me!

Soto Sister said...

Merry Christmas! I hope it's fabulous.

a friend to knit with said...

oh.... darn the world isn't perfect.... cause i certainly would love a meret!

merry Christmas, heather....here is hoping that 2010 will be a year that we can actually knit together in person! cheers!!

Unknown said...

Seriously, what's NOT to love about that comment from Peeper-Lou?! I love Wooly Wormhead patterns. She has her finger on cool hats.

Sarah said...

Hmm, now I'm wondering if it could be sized down to fit an infant. You make it look so chic, and my daughter must be a chic baby, hence I think she must have her own Meret.

Glad to hear you had a great Christmas!

margaux said...

lovely meret!! merry christmas you awesome woman you.

elektroonika said...

I want that hat for Xmas :)