Monday, October 12, 2009

Acornheid

Acornheid in Rowan Yorkshire 4-Ply
My love of the tam has already been well-documented. I love everything about this garment: the flying saucer shape, the fine gauge yarn that is usually something tweedy and therefore perfect for such a small job, the quick turn around time, the old-fashioned girlish appeal, the kaleidiscope of colors that is really only appropriate for such a small project (Kaffe I love you, but...) and most especially, the name. Tam. Who can resist the joy of this word? Not me, I buy the onion flavored Manischewitz Tam Tam crackers like it's my job and I'm sure the name has something to do with it. But I digress...
Acornheid in Rowan Yorkshire 4-Ply
Kate's visit earlier this month afforded me the chance to see her most recent tam project in person. Yes, the Neepheid in all its understated glory...Realizing that the farm show deadline was drawing near, I instantly knew that I'd found THE project for the occasion. How appropriate! I went home and found that ye olde personal yarn stash indeed contained four small balls of the perfect raw material for this project, and off I went.
Acornheid in Rowan Yorkshire 4-Ply
The Specs
Pattern: Needheid by Kate Davies
Yarn: Four little precious balls of Rowan Yorkshire 4-ply in 'Graze', 'Glory' 'Bristle' & 'Cheerful'. I used every last bit of 'Cheerful', the main color. By every last bit I mean that I had less that a yard left. Nail biter! Sadly this yarn has been discontinued and for the life of me I can't figure out what they've replaced it with.
Needles: Size 3 addi turbos
Time: Only a week of distracted knitting, which was sadly not enough for me to make the Farm Show deadline. Nuts!
Mods: None. Great pattern, none required. This was the first time that I'd ever done the incredibly time consuming yet thoroughly satisfying I-Cord cast on. There's a really helpful tutorial here, in case you're as addicted to tutorials as yours truly.
Acornheid in Rowan Yorkshire 4-Ply
I really enjoyed this pattern quite a bit. I was quite lucky to have the perfect yarn in my stash for this project, which although not quite neep worthy allowed me to rearrange the colors a bit and call this an acorn motif, which makes me really happy and is quite seasonally appropriate. I bought this yarn a-g-e-s ago and am glad to have put it to good use.
Rowan Yorkshire Tweed 4ply
My need for finished tam for the farm show deadline combined with the new chill in the air led me to search for my December Lights Tam, and then discover that much to my horror it is nowhere to be found. I have searched high and low, and it is gone. How could I lose this beloved project? Not finding it is so uncool. Not only was it guaranteed to bring home the bacon from the show, it was, if I do say so myself, flippin' stupendous. As my Grandma would've said: criminy!
Acornheid in Rowan Yorkshire 4-Ply
Rather than stew about it, I've decided to make another and also have my eye on the Dollheid pattern, because I might be in Kate withdrawal if I don't do it. This means that I actually have a reason to go to Rhineback, right? I'll be there on Saturday with my bestie
Babs and hope to see some of you there.

31 comments:

Jodi said...

Super cute! I especially love the colors against your hair. Sounds like you all had a fabulous time when Kate was in town. So jealous!

Thea said...

It's gorgeous and it looks lovely on you. Show or no show, definitely a winner. The color combo is amazing.

Just be careful of hungry squirrels on the Rhinebeck field.... :-)

knithound brooklyn said...

I love tams too, and greatly admired your December Lights tam a few months ago. So sorry you misplaced it. This new one is quite lovely and sets off your hair color nicely!
I will look for you on Saturday, wearing this wonderful hat (and the OWLS)! Yay!

Two Cables and a Frapp said...

It's beautiful. I love the December Lights equally as much. You pick great colors.

Lori said...

Those are absolutely GORGEOUS colors!

Kate said...

I am hearting the acornheid in a Big way -- such fab colours -- it looks superb on you! And acorns make me think of those sneaky chipmunks . . . xx

Beverly said...

That looks so great on you! I love the colors!!

Ashley said...

Love it. Especially the acorn-ness--looks perf with the new hair. I still haven't found Felicity--maybe she absconded with Demeber Lights?

sophanne said...

a most excellent tam.

Just so you know- I clicked on the tamtamcracker link believing that it was going to be a pattern for another sort of tam.... cracked me up!

earthchick said...

STOP IT. You are sending my obsessive nature into absolute overdrive with all your gorgeosity. Not only do I need a Neepheid now, but you've got me thinking about those dang paper dolls again. You, of course, were talking about the Dollheid, but I want to make the Doll sweater. I got totally obsessed with it when it first came out but never managed to get going on it because of other things in my queue at the time.

You know I am in love with your Acorn Tam. And I am so SO sorry for the fact that your other Tam is missing!! I hope it turns up.

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Now that is a terrific tam, I love those colors. Alone but even more together.
Although not usually a tam person myself, Dollheid has a certain day-of-the deadish appeal. May need to give it a try!
I'll be looking for you at Rhinebeck.

Kirsten said...

I am driven to distraction by this hat! The colors, the texture, the pattern it all adds up to Ms. K wanting to drop everything else and cast on one of her own.

Anonymous said...

Love it - and, as others have said, the colors are GREAT for you!
margieinmaryland

Anonymous said...

Lovey - and Acornheid sounds so much prettier than Neepheid - she did explain it means Turnip Head didn't she?
~elaine

Liz said...

The acorn heid is great - very autumnal.

Sarah said...

Absolutely adorable, and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks of matzah crackers when I hear the word "tam."

Have fun at Rhinebeck -- make me jealous with your purchases, please!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! It looks great on you.
-Jess

peaknits said...

What a beautiful tam - it looks great on you too - the colors are perfect!!

tiennie said...

That is the coolest on you! Wish I could wear one just as well as you do. :)

ingrid said...

Criminy! (My aunt says that too!) That's the cutest tam ever.

margaux said...

what an excellent tam!! i love the colors! it looks great on you too :-)You going to Rheinback??

Anne said...

That is one fab tam - the colors are SO great!

Alison said...

What a sweet hat! Excuse me, sweet tam! That color combo is gorgeous!
Have a great time this weekend!

Veronique said...

Oh, I hope to run into you at Rhinebeck!! Wear your tam so I can recognize you ;)

Preeti said...

Those colors work so well together, what a lovely tam. Neeep Heeeed is going to look just as gorgeous!! Can't wait to see and hear all about the frolicking at Rhinebeck!

NeedleTart said...

I met your husband and daughter at the Greek Cafe and they said you were braving the weather to go to Rhinebeck. My niece and I chickened out, so hope you have a wonderful time. (Love the tam, if I don't have a "hat head", so true, maybe I could rock a tam?)

a friend to knit with said...

oh my gosh are those colors AWESOME!
and hello pretty lady.
hope you had a great time at rhinebeck.... look forward to a recap!

Susie said...

I love all the detail right down to the little brown caps on the acorns.

vanessa said...

very cute!

Angela said...

Love it! I now have tam envy...

Amy said...

That's really beautiful!