Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Katie bar the kitchen door...

TTL Mystery Socks in MadTosh 'Chamomile'
...because I have a finished pair of socks ! Yes--me. Socks. A pair. How long has it been since I can lay claim to finishing a pair of socks? The wayback knitting machine of Ravelry tells me that it has been since August. Like, before-Obama-got-the-nomination August. These are the TTL Mystery socks, and I am so happy that they are done. Moving them into the done column is providing me with a sense of accomplishment, which in my little Potemkin village of a life, is something.
TTL Mystery Socks in MadTosh 'Chamomile'

Specs:
Pattern: TTL Mystery Sock pattern, 56sts
Yarn: MadTosh Sport Weight in 'Chamomile', 2 skeins
Needles: Size 2
Mods: I did the plain pattern, w/o the cables.

TTL Mystery Socks in MadTosh 'Chamomile'

I think sport weight might be the way for me to go in all things socks. Doing them on a size 2 needle is deeply gratifying as they do tend to go much faster. I was about to write 'fly off the needles' and then I restrained myself, because, umm, hello? I did start these in October. I am glad that I followed the suggestions of those who recommended doing both at the same time.Whew! The appeal of the MadTosh yarn is that it is so darn durable. No splitting, very sturdy and the colors are stupendous. Count me in as a fan.

Not that my sock yarn purchases would be any indication of my sock stagnation--no worries, although it has slowed down, it is still managing to find its way into my ever-loving stash. Next up for me are two cowls: one for a colleague and another that is quite 'nutty'--can you guess what it is?

23 comments:

tiennie said...

Gorgeous color! They turned out so fantastic!

kim said...

OOooh, Oooh, I know, I know. Pick me! It's the Acorn Cowl?

Those socks are worth every painful stitch. Just gorgeous, although I love Mad Tosh yarn no matter what the color.

Emily said...

Those are great - I love the cuffs AND the color!

Yarnhog said...

Oh, congratulations! They're lovely, too.

The last sock I knitted was last spring (to celebrate last spring's new shoes), and was intended to be one of a pair, because I do have two feet. Alas, the second one is still half done at the bottom of my knitting basket, and probably won't see the light of day this spring, either.

Chantal Boucher said...

Tellement "cute"! I love the bright yellow!

Sarah said...

I think, because these are so clearly a spring color, you were meant to finish them now. Yep, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

"Quite nutty" -- now I have Austin Powers stuck in my head.

nicole said...

And what a pair of socks! No boring round and round stockinette for you. I can't believe they're your first pair. So pretty!!! So springy!!! Ils sont mignons.

Craptina said...

Sweet socks! I really like the cuff, that's a nice change from the same old 1x1 rib. Congrats on finishing them, overdue FO's are feat!

Jodi said...

So cheerful! I need to rediscover my sock knitting mojo.

Kim said...

Such beautiful socks for your first finished pair of the Obama administration. Love the yellow.
I'm guessing you're making the Acorn Cowl.

Veronique said...

Hello yellow!

Michelle O said...

They are beautiful! I made these socks with some yarn in my stash that turned out to be a bad yarn choice. Mine are kinda the opposite of beautiful. But the yellow!! Love love love it!

Katie said...

The cowl has to be Acorn, right?

Nora said...

Beautiful combination of design and wool. Just perfect.

astoriaAnn said...

Those are really fantastic, so springtime-y and beautiful. Love the pattern too!

Erin said...

I LOVE these! And the color is just perfect too. Socks on size 2 needles really are something to aspire to.

Alison said...

I still haven't finished mine... sshhh! Don't tell anybody :-)
I started out with a bang, had a baby, got really, really, sleepy, for a few weeks, and well, got distracted in the meantime... I may finish mine up sometime around mid-august, you know, when I really will not want a pair of wool socks on my feet...

Love the color on yours! I haven't used it, but that yarn sounds mighty fine.

Happy knitting!

(my verification word is 'refusion', it kinda weirds me out when it's a real word, or close to it, some sort of computerized cosmic coincidence...)

Alison said...

Oh yeah, and my first cowl thought was the acorn...

peaknits said...

Wow - I love these, that colorway is gorgeous! I am having a major case of sock block, I could use any advice you have:)

Florence said...

I'd like to be abble to knitt such socks.... I'm just abble to knitt very simple one, in stockinette stiches with very bulky yarn from my sheep!

MRS MJW said...

I'm not usually into yellow socks, but those are lovely!

KeanaLee said...

So springy & so CUTE!

Octopus Knits said...

Ooo, so cheery and bright! Great job :)