Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Post Visit Round-Up...

Brooklyn General--you just never know which rock stars you'll run into!
In case you're wondering about how the whole potential post-election family meltdown went, I am here to tell you that there were no blow ups, slammed doors or shout fests. Just knowing, furtive glances and a smug feeling of superiority and self-satisfaction, which anyone who knows me can tell you I do really, really well.

Luckily our visit was filled with what linguists call 'varied input', meaning there were plenty of different experiences, including a surprise encounter with New York's rollicking Spiders on Friday evening at
Brooklyn General. In I walked and there they were. Can you believe that Minty was even there making a special cameo celebrity appearance? So. Much. Fun. I was thrilled to see knitters I've known a while (Katy and Virginia-woot! woot!) and meet for the first time Stephanie, Jess, Lisa, and Carrie, knitters I've admired from a far. I celebrated the occasion with, well, what else:
Malabrigo
The thing that just slays me about Malabrigo is that there are so many damn colors. Seriously. Some of them I'd never heard of and have quite inscrutable names. Rhodesian? Roanoke? Molly? I don't see the relationship between the name and the color, but... ok, yes please. Also pictured are Violetas, Cactus Flower and Tiger Lily, three other major winners.
Aifric and Séona in handknits
I also got to meet the girls' baby sister Aifric who is a brand new resident of Brooklyn. She and her mummy have emigrated from Ireland, just in time for me to gift the Baby Surprise Jacket and Tween Thing's Juliet, because you know, the sweater made Tween Thing look 'fat'. Luckily the girls' step-mom is quite small in stature so I now have the perfect person to knit for, although I hope the knitting gifts don't weird her out in a Single White Female kind of way...'Who made that sweater for you? 'My husband's ex-wife', 'WTF?!!!'.

Since I had all that Bridge and Tunnel time to kill, I was also able to complete a project, and if you can believe it, I have no complaints about it. Not a one. Maybe that's because I've road tested it many times before--I believe the Koolhaas is now my go-to pattern when I'm in need of restoring my knitting confidence.
Koolhaas in Malabrigo Indigo
Koolhaas in Malabrigo Indigo
The Specs
Pattern: Koolhaas by Jared Flood
Yarn: Malabrigo in Indigo. This yarn was repurposed from a Gloria cowl that just wasn't working for me. I unravelled it and reknit it, lickety-split.
Needles: Size 6 and 8 addi turbos
Time: I-80 to the Garden State Parkway, GW Bridge to the West Side Highway, Verrazano Bridge to the Jersey Turnpike and then the Pennsy Turnpike. For real!


20 comments:

Angela said...

All that Malabrigo is maling me woozy! The hat is gorgeous.

Sarah said...

This Koolhaas is for you, right? Keep it in a safe place!

I'm extremely jealous that you have a baby to knit for. And I don't think it's weird at all -- anyone who knows knitters knows we love to cover people in handknits, especially babies.

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean about spending the holidays with someone not happy about the election, but try being the only one (besides my husband) at the dinner table who is happy about the outcome. Yeah! I didn't say much this Thanksgiving on the political front.

Beautiful knits!!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Love the Koolhaas. Everytime I see it I want to get the pattern and knit it up!

Kirsten said...

Sounds like a pretty good trip all and all. What a happy surprise to run into all of those Spiders at Brooklyn General.

The baby looks sweet in her BSJ.

Bittersweet Bakers said...

OMG. Seriously gorgeous hat. I really want to make one now... you are my knitting guru Heather. haha

Anonymous said...

I think it's so great that you have knitted goods for the extended family. I can't even wrap my brain around what that must be like. Seriously. 'Nuff said.

MMMMmmmmalabrigo makes mmmmmmy heart pump. Love the hat!

Jodi said...

Talk about all sorts of knitting wonderful-ness! It's like Malabrigo Madness here at ADD Knitter. :-)

The hat is gorgeous, and I can't believe how quickly you knit it up.

I'll bet your ex-husband's wife thanks her lucky stars and isn't weirded out at all.

a friend to knit with said...

how great to stumble upon a bunch of cool spiders!!!!

and another cool thing....your relationship with new members of the familia!!! she looks awesome in your sweater.

and one more thing. imagine just how productive the world would be in the car.......if only they learned how to knit!!!!! .....love your koolhass!

Yarnhog said...

Sweet, sweet malabrigo...

I remain impressed (and stunned) by your generosity toward your ex's new wife.

Anonymous said...

Love, Love, LOVE the Koolhaas hat!

nicole said...

Hey, is that your pretty mug donning the Malabrigo Koolhaas?

When I was at Brooklyn General a while back, the Spiders were meeting, but I was too shy to go up to them and introduce myself. Silly me, they look like such fun.

And yay for your flexible, inclusive and progressive view of "family". I think that is SO cool!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have gone with you! That looks fun. Your knits and the malabrigo look great. I'm amazed by what a generous person you are and how kind you are. You won't be mistaken for a crazy SWF stalkery person!

Beverly said...

I adore my husband's ex-wife. She's so smart and funny and good to us both...I wish more ex's could enjoy such healthy relationships.

Also: please indulge me: http://wbnm.typepad.com/pomogo/2008/12/cari-asked-for-six.html

Sonya said...

Mmmmmmmalabrigo.... Great Koohaus. Looks like you had a fun trip!

Anonymous said...

So much malabrigo! Drooool...

I love reading your blog, I always leave smiling!

weezalana said...

SWF, LOL! If you get the same haircut as she does and start stealing clothes from her closet, *then* we'll be worried about you.

Gorgeous Koolhaas! I did a little Malabrigo purchasing over Thanksgiving weekend that would make you proud. ;)

Anonymous said...

love the colors that you picked out! Some small part of me is happy that there isn't a store close to me that sells malabrigo, but its over shadowed by my desire to insulate the house with the stuff!
Beautiful hat too!
I hear you too, because my ex-husband's wife asked me to knit her a hat! Both Aifric and her mummy look great in their handknits!

Jessica said...

Looks like a fun visit! Wish I had known you were in the area. Next time! :)

And I'm glad the family gathering went well. I was a little worried about politics coming into our Turkey day too.

Anonymous said...

Damn I didn't realize you picked up that much! The lion must not be tempted.....it was great to see you too!