Thursday, November 06, 2008

Happy Birthday (Cowl)!

(Artist Brett Yasko at www.30reasons.org: "When I look at Barack Obama's life story, I see America")

There has been so much to celebrate 'round these parts this week. It goes without saying that this household has been over the moon since Tuesday and doesn't look like it will be coming back down to earth anytime soon. There have been so many memorable images of election celebration (Jesse crying and Oprah unleashed to name a few), but my favorite just has to be the elementary schoolers from Obama's elementary school in Indonesia jumping for joy. Yay kids!

We are also celebrating another auspicious occasion: the birthday of Peeper-Lou. She's 11 today, double hockey sticks! Our full-on party won't be until Sunday as I'm going to Chicago for a conference today and tomorrow, so there is no doubt that she'll be milking it from now until then. Miss Thing did agree to model my newest FO for me, the appropriately titled Birthday Cowl.
Birthday Cowl in Malabrigo 'Damask Rose'

The Specs
Pattern:Birthday Cowl by Nova Seals
Yarn:Malabrigo Worsted in Damask Rose
Needles: Size 8 addi turbos
Birthday Cowl in Malabrigo 'Damask Rose'
This pattern is my favorite cowl ever as the stitch pattern is easy (you always know where you are, instantly) and the end result is ultra-gorgeous. If you haven't made a cowl yet, this is your next project! Might I also suggest making it out of Malabrigo as well? It's just too soft to resist.

Malabrigo Sock Yarn
Speaking of said luscious yarn, guess who got a shipment of highly coveted Malabrigo sock yarn from Mr. UPS man in the brown and yellow socks? Yes, people. Was there any doubt in your minds that I would be in on the ground floor with this one? Linda at Yarnzilla was lightening fast (as usual) and these wee lovelies were delivered just moments ago, just in time to be wound and put into my carry-on. Yes Leslie, airplane knitting, your favorite!

22 comments:

knithound brooklyn said...

Happy Birthday Peeper Lou!
Beautiful Cowl! I cannot wait to see the Malabrigo Sock yarns.
Have a safe trip, ADD Knitter.

Sarah said...

Happy birthday, Peeper Lou!

And wow, does that photo crack me up. (The one of our president-elect, not of your daughter in a cowl.)

Kirsten said...

Happy Birthday Peeper Lou!! You share your day with Mr. Through the Loops! He's waaaaaaay older than 11 though.

I'm still floating along after Tuesday myself.

Have fun with the plane knitting!

a friend to knit with said...

happy birthday to peeper-lou!!!! such an exciting event happening near her birthday. she will never forget the year she turned 11!!

i have made a cowl, but just a plain ol' stockinette one. i really should crank one of these beauties out. if only i could get some extra time on an airplane. now that would be perfect. sigh.

have a great trip!!

peaknits said...

I love your birthday cowl - I mean Peeper Lou's! I am making the same in Oceanos. That Malabrigo sock is breathtaking!

nicole said...

Double hockey sticks, yahoo! Happy b-day Peeper-lou!

Heather, that is a stellar cowl! And Malabrigo sock yarn. Holy moly, gotta get me some.

I am SOOOO freaking happy that Obama won. I just feel that the world is a better, safer place now. You know how the media made a big deal about other countries being happy that Obama won? Well, believe the hype! My office was positively buzzing yesterday. Everyone recounting about how they stayed up late to tearfully watch the speeches. I was crying right alongside Jesse. I just wish we had such an inspiring, intelligent, thoughtful person as our leader (though I wouldn't want to inherit the US's problems right now. I'll happily stay on this side of the border, boring politicians and all.)

Yarnhog said...

Happy Birthday Peeper Lou!

My birthday wish for you is a better world, and it looks like we just might get it. (I know, I know. Nowhere near as good as a puppy.)

weezalana said...

Happy Birthday Peeper-Lou!!! You know what would be a fun birthday activity for you? While Mom's away, go grab all of her Malabrigo Sock Yarn and mail it to me. She won't mind, I promise.

Jodi said...

Happy b-day, and what a great b-day cowl! Mmmmalabrigo is always a good way to say "I love you."

Chicago has been just buzzing with excitement, and people are walking around with smiles on their faces. I hope you enjoy your brief trip to our fair city!

BTW, the Mal sock loks luscious. I'm on a yarn-buying hiatus for now, so I'm looking forward to reading a review of it!

nova said...

Well, I am so glad you like knitting this cowl. Because, seriously, the cowl loves Peeper-Lou! Happy Birthday!!

Veronique said...

Happy bday Peeper! And what a lovely cowl :) You know, I only have 2 cowls, so I definitely need one more...
Wait, Malabrigo sock yarn?! I might have to make socks first.

Anonymous said...

Excited indeed! I guess you showed those sign stealers! Happy Birthday, Peeper-Lou!! Love your pretty, pink cowl! And of course you'd have the Malabrigo sock. It's just gorgeous. Review, please. Have a safe trip!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Please give a review of the Malabrigo sock yarn. I want to buy some, but I have at least 10+ waiting skeins of sock yarn begging to be used. Going on the xmas list.

Sourire11 said...

Happy Birthday! I just finished the same cowl in Malabrigo - actually I got the idea to knit it from this blog!

Sourire11 said...

Happy Birthday! I just finished the same cowl in Malabrigo - actually I got the idea to knit it from this blog!

Sonya said...

Happy birthday, Peeper-Lou! Beautiful birthday cowl. I was already crying, but when I saw Jesse crying I really started to bawl. What an amazing day!

Harper said...

I am at my brother's wedding right now and was so excited to do my first airplane knitting. First project was moving along when there was a knot in the yarn -- no scissors. That's okay -- I brought two projects. The second was lace and I had written out the pattern on index cards for ease of use. I cast on; knit 3 rows; dropped the index cards between the seat and the side of the plane. Sigh. Maybe on the flight back!

Anonymous said...

I am trying to make an effort to catch up on all my neglected blog reading. Hope you don't mind if I just cover it all here...great baby sweaters, shawl, scarf and hat. Congrats on the blue ribbon! That is amazing!

I went to Stitches East yesterday and thought of you. No, I never finished those argyle socks either!

Anonymous said...

Happy [belated] birthday P-L! x

Unknown said...

Happy B-Day! Mmmmm more Malabrigo ideas... That I do have in my personal yarn store...

Knittymuggins said...

Happy Birthday Peeper-Lou!!

Love that cowl too :)

knittymuggins

YawnOver said...

Can I just say that I have felt good every single day since the election? Coincidence? I think not.

Love the Obama pic you posted :) Have you seen the (current, all growed-up) one on the cover of the Economist? It is classic.

And speaking of classic, there's that birthday cowl again. Mine got quite a workout at Rhinebeck - although it is in the colorway Lettuce, the weather was so freaking cold that even my tween boys wanted to wear it heh heh. (Definitely looks better on the Peep.)