Friday, October 03, 2008

Doable.

MadTosh Socks in 'chamomile'
To claim that I am somehow now on a sock knitting roll or in any way imply that I am 'gaga' for socks would be a gross exaggeration. My relationship with the sock seems to follow the same predictable trajectory. It's a story of extremes. I am either heavily, heavily into it and can think of nothing else or have low-grade feelings of resentment and loathing. Weirdly right now I seem to be between these two extremes, and I have Through the Loops' Mystery Sock KAL to thank for that. Somehow spreading the task over an entire month seems entirely doable, so much so that I am doing both at the same time. Jump back!

Normally joining a KAL is the surefire way for me to guarantee that I will not actually finish the intended garment (Mirepoix anyone? Project Spectrum flame-out?), but if I can't finish sport weight socks on a size three needle with a cast on of 58 sts, well it's time to hang it up and delete the blog, right? Part of the reason that I foresee actually finishing is that I am LOVING the yarn--Madeline Tosh Sport Merino in chamomile. This yarn has been in my stash for a while and I am so pleased to have a reason to break it out. The sheer yellowness of it all is making me very, very happy however I am slightly concerned that although the yarn looked identical in the hank and is from the same dye lot, somehow not in its knitted state, one yarn cake is a little more tweety bird than the other. If this is the case, we'll just burn that bridge when we come to it...

26 comments:

indieknits said...

That yarn looks gorgeous! I was tempted to join this KAL but have far too many patterns in my queue that I want to get started on. Story of my life, lol!

Becky Holmes said...

Ack, you ruined the surprise! Can I ask (politely, of course) that you not post photos of your finished sock segment until maybe right before the next one comes out? I am going to start these tonight and now I already know what they look like. Part of the fun of a "mystery KAL" is the element of surprise: "Oh, so THAT's what I'm knitting!" Thanks very much!

Anonymous said...

I'm loving the yellow-ness of your sock yarn!

YawnOver said...

Hmm, sounds like someone above me could use a nice glass of chardonnay.

I hear you on the KAL curse. Like you, though, I'm all signed up and hopeful-like nonetheless.

YawnOver said...

PS Hey, teacher, leave them kids alone.

Kirsten said...

I've got a pair of socks that I knit out of two skeins of Claudia's Handpainted. Each sock is quite different in color. I just wear them under jeans. I loved the color too much to let the yarn languish in my stash for such a small crime.

I love your yellow - so pretty. It will show the pattern really nicely too.

nicole said...

Love them in the yellow!

I just polished off the cuffs too. I've never done a KAL or a mystery knit, but so far so good.

Not to be a total copycat, but I'm also working on a near-and-dear to your heart forest canopy shawl (with you as my inspiration). What a great, easy lace pattern!

Anonymous said...

That color is gorgeous! Can't wait to see the end of the socks!

Stephanie B said...

That yellow is stunning! Such a perfect shade.

Anonymous said...

Wait, if I do this, I have to make TWO socks?! Oh, I don't know... That yarn looks very squishy and yummy.

Ally Jay said...

PLenty of sunshine in that yarn. I'm sure you're going to get the socks finished.

a friend to knit with said...

magic loop. two at a time. you are my idol.

Donna said...

They do look slightly different don't they? Have fun, I'm doing this KAL too.

Sarah said...

You mean socks are supposed to match in color? ;-)

If it's really that bad, I have one word for you: overdyeing.

peaknits said...

I'm in on this kick-a$$ KAL too! I love your yarn choice, totally worthy of Kirsten's sure-to-be-awesome pattern!:)

maritza said...

That color is so awesome! I can see how knitting with it would cause instant happiness. :)

Alison said...

Fun stuff! I'm a couple rows shy of finishing my second cuff. I could've/should've been finished by now, but I keep losing time online somehow...

Happy knitting-
ali

Jennie said...

That's definitely a pretty colorway to work with. Hmm I may need a bit of yellow in my sock collection. :) I was thinking of joining that KAL, but I've been a bum knitter lately. :(
Good luck with yours! Can't wait to see the finished socks. :)

Lolly said...

I know what you mean - socks take me forever, but I seem to have psyched myself up enough about this KAL that I actually think it may be possible! I love this yellow!

Anonymous said...

I think I might already be doomed. I joined the KAL but haven't cast on yet. WTF is wrong with me? Hope you are successful in finishing this KAL. Good Luck!

Knitting Diva said...

I adore your yellow selection! It's so fitting for autumn. Wish I could join the KAL, but with the projects on hand that won't be possible for a few months.

Kim said...

Love that yellow. Don't even think of this mystery sock as a KAL. It's just staggered instructions and if others are knitting it as well, so be it.

nova said...

Hello, are we the same person? I have a bunch of random single socks floating around, but I started the cuffs for the TTL mystery socks...spread out over a month, seem totally doable. I do love this yellow though, I must say.

jennie said...

I have the same love-hate relationship with socks. I think it's sock YARN that does it for me. Man, I love sock yarn.

Hopefully socktoberfest (and the KAL) will keep me motivated, at least enough to finish all of my singles...

Love that yellow.

Anonymous said...

that COLOR! egads, woman. forget knitting - have you tried EATING it?

KnitPastis said...

oooh,this looks like some really soft sock yarn!