Friday, September 12, 2008

Chevron interlude

Forest Canopy Shawl, continued...
My Malabrigo Mania is still going full bore, so much so that I hope to finish my Forest canopy Shawl in Silky Merino before not too long. Ashley has decided to do one as well, but her knitting skepticism has her rightfully wondering whether or not two skeins will be enough, but I reassured her that two would DEFINITELY be enough.

*gulp*

I really hope it is, because she could totally kick my ass with one arm tied behind her back!

Soaky soaky!
I am sure you all had a great private chortle at my expense when I blithely claimed several months ago that I would be setting up my very own Chevron assembly line and pumping these babies out. Is she crazy? Has she actually done this pattern before? Thank you for not calling me on my bullsh*t, it's one of the reasons I love you all.
Chevron #2
Yeah, well after number two, I have decided that this is not the type of project that one cranks out. As you might recall,
I stated before that the Chevron is not a main course project, but rather a side dish affair. You work on here and there, like during long spells in the car ride while your husband is lecturing the family about how stopping for soft drinks during a car trip is a sign of weakness and ultimately a question of morality, or when watching an ANTM marathon, terrified that at any moment someone you know will walk by your house and see you not only watching tv but *gasp* that dreck. You know what I'm talking about--t.v. shame, we all have it. In any case, I see very clearly the role of the chevron: it's just there, you knit on it sometimes, and then one day you can't handle it any longer, cast off, and it's done. VoilĂ .
Chevron #2
The Specs:
Pattern: Chevron Scarf, LMKG. I truly love this pattern as it is fun watching the colors change, kind of like playing with a Litebrite.
Yarn: Socks that Rock Lightweight 'Hollyday' and 'Lenore'
Needles: Size 5 Addi Turbos
Dates: March-September 2008
Mods: I cast off when I couldn't take it any longer but have about half the yarn left.
Chevron #2
Chevron #2
Once you come to accept the parameters of this project, it is really a lot of fun. It gets the 'sock yarn for non sock purposes' stamp of approval, for sure. And the psychological relief at finishing it suddenly frees you up to think about tackling other projects, like maybe the Feb. Lady Sweater in the yarn pictured below...
Ella Rae Classic for FebLadySweater!


22 comments:

Beverly said...

Love your Chevron. You're right about the Litebrite...and I must add that I'm still a little bitter that I was raised in a house that was sans litebrite.

She Knits Socks said...

The Chevron scarf is beautiful. I must buy that book. Keep us in the loop as you knit the Feb.Lady Sweater, as I think that may be my very first sweater to knit!

alligator said...

Hey there!

I knit that Forest Canopy Shawl on a limited amount of yarn as well and I just wanted to say that there is a handy trick for figuring out how much yarn it will take especially if you are using 2 skeins (that's what I did).

After you knit up your first skein count how many leaves are in your shawl. Then figure out how many more repeats you can do. Each repeat adds 2 leaves (one on either side of the shawl) and each edging leaf is worth 1.5 leaves.

Hope that helps you use up all your yarn but no more than that!

My shawl is here if you want to see: http://knitosaurus.com/forest-canopy-shoulder-shawl/

Anonymous said...

Ah, yet another use for your killer cookware.

Sarah said...

Your Chevrons were what inspired me to knit mine, but mine isn't nearly as satisfying as yours are in terms of color. Maybe I just need you to pick out colors for me. But you're right, it's definitely one of those "knit a few rows at a time" type of projects.

On a different note, that FLS is going to be stunning in that Ella Rae. I love a good natural shade.

Cassy said...

Ha ha! I too watch ANTM while knitting. It's shameful, but whatever. I love the scarf colors!

Anonymous said...

I think your projects look so beautiful! You make me want to knit another one!

nicole said...

There you go, cooking up another juicy chevron. (for a minute there, I thought you were over-dying it to make it even brighter!)

I get tv-shame no matter what I watch (I'm surrounded by "kill your tv" hairshirt types), so the knitting, it comes in handy when I need my tranquilizing dose of ANTM or even, dare I say it, TMZ.

Anonymous said...

Now I must cast on for a Chevron scarf. Wow, it's beautiful and the colors are vibrant.

KeanaLee said...

I too watch ANTM (and Gossip Girl) while knitting my Chevron. Yes, they are definitely a side project.

Anonymous said...

You have me so inspired that I was digging through Silk Malabrigo at the yarn shop the other day. Sadly, the colors were blech! And my local, local yarn shop doesn not sell it. So, I will wait until I happen upon and think, "hmmm, what can I use that for?" and I will remember your inspiration! Oh, and am I the only knitter on the planet who has not made the FLS or a Chevron yet?

Anonymous said...

BTW, those are Saturday-morning-cleaning-frenzy typos!

Veronique said...

Ooh, new project! I've been dying to knit up a Feb Lady Jacket...
Love the Chevron slow cooking in a le Creuset pot :) (is that what it is?).

weezalana said...

Ooo, that reminds me. I need to start on my first Chevron now. You know, so I can wear it in November...

I have no TV shame thankyouverymuch. I'm watching my Hallmark Tim Daly as a gunfighter TV movie with pride. In the back.

knithound brooklyn said...

That Chevron is gorgeous - nice color combinations! It makes me want to start one right away.

The Ella Rae is beautiful yarn. Can't wait to see the Feb sweater - I agree with other commenters that the neutral color will work well with that pattern.

knithound brooklyn said...

oh, I got so carried away with the knitting and yarn I forgot to compliment the photographs! Nice work!

Kim said...

I checked out the Malabrigo silk at a local yarn store near me but nono of the colors rang my bell. Love that brown. That is also a very kick ass Chevron scarf.

nova said...

I am finally catching up with what everyone else did this summer. I have two know if two skeins is going to be enough...I have two skeins...I will wait till you are done and see if any ass-kicking ensues. Nice chevron too. I think I need a Feb. Lady sweater too, as Iwill not need to knit a feb girl sweater for any baby girls....

Ashley said...

Nah, I would definitely need both hands.

Jessica said...

There are most certainly worse things you could be knitting than Malabrigo and chevrons! Love them both!

earthchick said...

Oh, your Chevron is *fantastic*. Love it. And you are so right about what kind of knitting that project is. Which is why I refuse to feel guilty that the one I started on impulse over a year ago still isn't done....

Anonymous said...

Your Chevron scarf is beautiful. That's a pattern I keep eyeing for myself! The February Lady Sweater is also beckoning to me, but I only have two hands... and only have 24 hours in a day... and, let's face it, I'm a slow knitter anyway, so like I need to be taking on any more projects!

By the way, I've nominated you for a blog award. Check out my blog to see more!