Sunday, May 18, 2008

Cowlify: You know you want to!

Gloria in 'A Verb for Keeping Warm' Alpaca/Silk 'LuxTo say that the cowl, a humble garment with inauspicious origins and an unfortunate link to the 'cowl neck sweater' of the mid-70s that I think most of us husky gals would have done well to avoid, is sweeping the nation by storm would be an understatement. I mean we have many prototypes to choose from on Ravelry, and if you are reading blogs you know that this one and this one and this one are nothing short of hand knit perfection. And if this stunning picture right here doesn't send you into cowliscious paroxysms, well you just don't get it, my friend. (Leslie you are right, all this linking wears a girl OUT).
Gloria in 'A Verb for Keeping Warm' Alpaca/Silk 'Lux
I have come to believe several things about the cowl. If affords the knitter the satisfaction of working on a truly short project (not a fake short project like socks or a scarf, for example) and yet ending up with a nice big piece of fabric. Like a giant gauge swatch, you can really see what the yarn does under certain conditions, something very exciting when you're talking about sock yarn. It also is the ultimate stash buster project. Why would you need to purchase yarn specifically for a cowl? You know you have one or two skeins of something or other in your stash that will fit the bill. Give in to the cowl, it will do you right every time.
Gloria in 'A Verb for Keeping Warm' Alpaca/Silk 'Lux
The Specs
Pattern: Gloria by Orinda5
Yarn: Exactly one skein of 'A Verb for Keeping Warm' Alpaca/Silk in 'Lux'
Needles: Addi turbo 4.5mm, 16 inches
Mods: None
Gloria in 'A Verb for Keeping Warm' Alpaca/Silk 'Lux
This yarn knits up into a fabric that is soooo soooft and has a lovely sheen. I bought this skein at MDS&W several weeks ago. Since I didn't know I was going to make it into a cowl at the time, I have technically not violated my own 'don't buy yarn for a cowl' rule, because it didn't exist yet. See how that works?
Gloria in 'A Verb for Keeping Warm' Alpaca/Silk 'Lux
This post marks a special occasion on this blog. This is the last time I will be using my current camera, as I have graciously been given the green light by my frugal mate to get a brand-new digital slr camera. Yes, the tarrying is over. Those that know the person with whom I negotiate such purchases will likely not believe me, but it's true. Watch this space for super special pictures, starting Tuesday!

29 comments:

peaknits said...

Another lovely cowl! The yarn is breathtaking! Thanks for getting all those links in there:)

Sarah said...

I wasn't sure about the cowl until this weekend when I saw a bunch in person. Totally on board the cowl train now! And I love yours.

Anonymous said...

Alright, alright! I'm convinced. Now I just need to rummage through the stash to find the right cowl-yarn! (Do you think non-knitters would appreciate a cowl? I'm thinking quick Christmas gifts!)

Yarnhog said...

That cowl is just gorgeous!

But to be honest, it was almost 100 degrees here yesterday (and I spent the entire day outside at Science Field Day), and even the thought of fuzzy alpaca wrapped around my neck makes me want to rip off all my clothes and fling myself into the unheated swimming pool.

Anonymous said...

That cowl is so soft and pretty. Now I want to go buy that specific yarn to make one, but I'd be breaking the rule! Besides, my current obsession is the smoke ring. I can't put it down. Try it; you know you want to!

a friend to knit with said...

cowls! new camera! it is all just too exciting!!!
yippee!!!

Jennie said...

I want to cozy on up into it. :) Nice work!

nicole said...

Ok, ok, I give in. I will cowlify as soon as I log off. You've convinced me. I do have to say though that opening all those links can wear a girl out too (or in my case, wear me down, as I can no longer resist the call of the cowl).

Very pretty in pink!

Sarah said...

Ooh, that does look luscious!

I haven't given in to the call of the cowl yet, but maybe that's just because I can't think of wool around my neck when there's so much green outside. I bet I'll feel differently come fall.

indieknits said...

Lovely! I want to knit another cowl now!!

weezalana said...

Very pretty! Makes me sad I can't wear alpaca. :(

Veronique said...

Cowl love is sweeping the nation!!
Did you say a DIGITAL SLR?! Oh, I am so super jealous. I've been drooling over them for quite a while, but ouch on my wallet. Please let us know which one you get! The Canon Rebel seems super-popular.

Olga said...

it's suppose to be spring here and it's barely breaking 62- so I may need of them to keep warm with this summer!

Denise said...

I love the 'pinkiness' of your cowl, very pretty color. Congrats on a new camera, can't wait to see more pics.

Unknown said...

I totally blame you for that cowl I started about a month ago that is laying in the bottom of my UFO box. That pink looks so soft. My girls would love it. Good thing they aren't allowed near the computer...

Traci said...

what a loverly cowl you have made! (definitely one of the best pinks i've ever seen)

i'm still mulling the whole 'cowl thing' over in my brain. it IS getting closer to having appeal...closer...your pics and links are helping...closer...closer...
;)

Lolly said...

definitely feeling the cowl love over here. this one is particularly beautiful.

Philigry said...

love that color. now i really have cowl fever!

Anonymous said...

I certainly understand the negotiation that you go through. Tell me this, after he finally gives in and you do what ever it was that you wanted to do or get what you wanted to buy, does he then act as if it was his idea all along? Yeah! I feel your pain!

Anonymous said...

Oh-so-lovely - soft and feminine.

Anonymous said...

Your cowl is so pretty - especially that color!

nova said...

I have always thought your pictures good ones, but super special? I can not wait.

I heart the cowl in all it's pinky-ness. For me, that is saying a lot.

Amy said...

WooHOOO, dslr!

(Nice cowl, too. ;-)

Sonya said...

Beautiful cowl! Such a pretty pink. I'm trying to decide if it would hide or accentuate a middle-aged double chin.

Have fun camera shopping! I got a new one a month or two ago. Love. It.

SoapDoc said...

LOVE the cowl -- I think you've talking me in to one -- and that yarn is lovely too -- but you take photos like THIS with a Point and Shoot camera?

HOLY GUACAMOLE are we in for a treat when you get your hands on a real camera! Can't wait!!!!!

WonderMike said...

How fabulous that you are getting a DSLR. Which model have you decided on?

I love Kristine at "A Verb for Keeping Warm". Her yarn and her spinning fiber are SCRUMPTIOUS! As is your lovely cowl made from said fiber. Can guys get away with cowls? I wonder...

Knitting Bandit said...

I'm sold! I will click your links and pick a patten, (probably two, knowing me)and cast on soon. I think I would love the "Verb For Keeping Warm" yarn if I ever came ac ross it. At the very least, I'd have to have some just for the fun name alone!

Emily said...

Another fab FO. I made this cowl and love wearing it. Hope you do too. :)

Anonymous said...

Did you use fingering or sport weight? LOVE LOVE LOVE that cowl!