Sunday, May 27, 2007

A torrid on-going romance, the first blush of love, kicked to the curb...and prizes!


A Torrid on-going Romance
I am still in the midst of a Cookie A./Monkey socks love fest. Adding to my extreme knitting euphoria is the Brooklyn Handspun in Jungle Canopy that I am using. I nabbed it sometime last year from Kpixie with a gift cert that blogless Babs gave me (she also posted a comment to the contest, which was very exciting especially given her shyness. Besides being the heavyweight champion of my knitting world, she is, as she characterizes herself, a bit of a 'trapdoor spider'). The whole Monkey/Brooklyn Handspun package is just working for me in a way that is so satisfying.



The First Blush of Love
I am also deriving complete satisfaction from another recent knitting development: I am a new inductee in the toe-up sock knitters cabal! Yes, I'm one of the cool kids now. I took a class here
last Tuesday and will return tomorrow for a follow-up. I have to say that I might be a new convert. I faltered a bit at first, but once I wised up and switched to the Magic Loop method, it was a cinch. Is it just me or are Magic Loop and toe-up just a natural together? The toe-up technique is a winner and I am loving it. However I am still wrestling a bit with that pesky hole that is happening right at the instep, so any input you have regarding that would be much appreciated.



Kicked to the Curb
One thing I am not loving however is the extreme splotchiness of the Trekking I am using. I decided the sock that I was originally going great guns on (as my 80 year old dad would say) was quickly destined to become no more than an anklet as the misplaced and unwelcome blotches of color that are everywhere are making the garment not worthy of full blown sockness. After realizing how utterly messed up this skein was, I started breaking off the yarn and reconnecting it, but seriously now, is that really an acceptable solution? Ugh. I know at least one other knitter has talked about this phenomenon, but have you ever encountered this before? I know it's machine made and all that, but still...the level of imperfection of this skein is disappointing. I'm thinking that Trekking might be getting kicked to the curb pronto.

...and Prizes!
Gee, all this hating on the poor little damaged skein of Trekking is almost making me wish I didn't have to give these other skeins of Trekking away and inflict them upon other hapless knitters, but I must keep my word. After much tussling and pinching one another (?), the two kiddie-winkies have pulled the names of two winners out of the hat...Beverly and iSeL, come on down, you are winners! Thanks to everyone for your most enjoyable comments. I found it particularly intriguing that many were nearly done in by a project and then by virtue of working through the challenges of that same project, had their faith restored. Wait...you mean actually
working hard to solve problems and not casting projects aside in disgust actually makes you a better knitter? Hmmm. [insert 1970s sitcom robotic voice bleeping does not compute does not compute here]. I'll have to think that one over some more...maybe you're on to something...In any case, I learned a lot from all of you and appreciate your insights.

24 comments:

KnitPastis said...

Fabulous Monkey sock! It's totally rocking in this yarn and colorway.
This is a pattern I have written down for a possible future project..possible.

Anonymous said...

MORE ugly specks? You can stop hating the Trekking b/c I can assure you that I hate it enough for the both of us. I don't get this speckled stuff.

I'm almost done with my monkeys too (modified pattern is already written as well!). You can knit another pair with your new-found magic loop, toe-up skillz (welcome to the toe-up club!) using my nifty pattern. With NO holes. *hopefully* that will go up tomorrow. Today isn't looking good.

Apparently holes at the outer edges of the short row, is "normal." Grr. I examine a lot of my store bought socks now, and sure enough I see holes in them as well. Hmmm... Interesting... I've heard that picking up a stitch between the needle side and the cable side can help this. I haven't tried, though. But, I can see how it might work. Just decrease somewhere else to get rid of the extra stitch.

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

Jen hit the nail on the head. when you get to where the hole happens, pick up one or two extra stitches on either side to close up the holes, then loose them again over the next couple of rows.

The monkey sock is really pretty!

Anonymous said...

You have coerced me into trying the toe up method. And by the way, I hate Trekking sock yarn. I have tried it twice and tossed it in the trash. Too splotchy for my taste.

Beverly said...

Hey, thanks for pulling my name!! I've never knit with Trekking, so it will be fun to check it out!

pamela wynne said...

YAY!! for toe-up and magic loop! I'm a recent convert to both as well. :) Your monkey is still looking fab.

Anonymous said...

I love your monkey! (wait, did that just sound naughty?). It makes me want to put away my Log Cabin socks and start the Monkeys.

I remember reading a remedy for the holes on toe-up socks. If I can find it, I will send you the link. I took a magic loops class, and haven't looked back since. Although I'm still afraid to alter a pattern to go toe up if it's not called for.

Anonymous said...

I only wish the socks I make look half as good as yours, I would be lucky if two little splotches were my problem!!

schrodinger said...

Aren't the monkey socks so happy? Love 'em. Congrats on figuring out the toe-up socks - cool kid!

Anonymous said...

Me again... I found the link for toe up socks without holes: http://misocrafty.squarespace.com/journal/2006/9/21/short-row-heel-tutorial.html

Anonymous said...

Those Monkeys look yummy!
My strategy versus the dreaded hole : between the last st. of the heel and the first st. of the instep, pick up the horizontal thread and twist it (just as to make a M1 increase) then knit that new stitch together with the first instep st. (And the other way around at the opposite side) It works almost perfect.

...Sarah said...

I must try the magic loop. Lovin the monkey sock. Great job, and colours are perfect.

Anonymous said...

Those blotchy clumps on the Trekking are so odd looking, that totally sucks (ugh, I just wrote-and-deleted "socks" there). I'm loving the colorway of your monkeys though.

Anonymous said...

that splotchiness is odd! But that is one cute anklet : )

Anonymous said...

Yummy - your Monkeys are going to look absolutely awesome! The pattern itself is a winner of course, but together with that absolutely beautiful yarn these are going to be one of the most gorgeous pairs of Monkeys around - looking forward to seeing more of them!
You won't believe it, but I haven't yet dared trying my hands at toe up socks! Reading your account sure inspired me big time to try it - I'm scared as hell by the Magic Loop thing, but I suppose with a bit of determination it should work, even for me ;)

NYCityMama said...

how annoying are those blotches!
I'm a big fan of magic loop, so I think I will try toe-up now after reading this...

I just found your blog and I'm loving it so far! I too am a add knitter;~)

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm making stripey shortie socks too! And I also keep having to reconnect the yarn...because of frays and breaks. Grrr.

Your heels look much nicer than mine, though. Are you wrapping or yo'ing?

Romi said...

Ooooooh! The monkeys are looking gorgeous!

Sonya said...

Those splotches would drive me crazy! I love doing toe-ups on magic loop. I get a kick out of the stage when the toe goes from being a blob of stitches to a little toe pouch.

iSeL said...

I won! I won! *dances naked*


Thank you, thank you very much. *takes a bow*

Love your Monkey and that pretty little ankle sock. I want my own!

Unknown said...

I haven't liked the Monkey pattern until I saw your pictures. Other shots I've seen just didn't show the pattern like yours do. I might make them in the future. Are you getting your 5 pm cocktail every evening like you promised us?

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

K.,
No worries there about the 5pm cocktail(s)!!

WonderMike said...

I vant to touch your monkey....

Knitting Bandit said...

Is that a short row heel on your footies? If so how are you closing the gaps? They look great, minus the nasty Trekking. I am not a fan of that yarn. Used it once, don't forsee myself using it again. It's just not for me...though I know some people love it. Kinda like some people love Twinkie, others HoHo's. Non knitters would think all yarns are alike, but WE know... some people like Twinkies. Others are just ho's.