Friday, December 22, 2006

Making Christmas knitting my b*tch!




Yes, a vulgar title for this post, but I feel like a dominatrix (or shall I say domiknitrix?) today as I have officially vanquished all those Christmas w.i.p.s, whipped them into shape and knitted them into submission. They are all done. So it's back to my regularly scheduled self-indulgent stitching, people!

Above you see the Darling Resident Marxist Curmudgeon's Koigu socks. I hope he enjoys them. Christmas and the requisite profligate spending and general gift mania tend to engender a lot of analysis and hang wringing on his part and generally take him to the dark place. Hopefully these will coax him off the ledge... They were done on the recommended 3 dpns, but turned out slightly too slouchy. Next time--and there will be a next time as I have a lot of Koigu in my stash--I'll do some ribbing and try them out on 2s. As I've been trying to get away with doing socks out of non-sock yarn on big needles, this will be a rude awakening, no doubt.



I made what I hope will be my last pair of Fetching for awhile. I am just tired of this pattern (5 pairs in 2 months, yeah, it's getting old), but pleased nonetheless with this particular pair. They are for the above mentioned grouch's mom--I love her to death--and I know she'll get a lot of wear out of them. I cast them on yesterday morning and finished them today before lunch time. I made them out of a yarn I'd never tried before: Elsebeth Lavold Silky Cashmere in the color 'petrol'. It is luxurious but costs a pretty penny, so I doubt that I'll ever use it again for anything larger than a hat, but it was a treat to work with.

I hope you all out there are set to enjoy the holidays in whatever way you see fit. Our gang is going to NJ/NYC tomorrow, just in time for Christmas traffic jams in the Lincoln tunnel and last minute hemmoraging of ca$h in Manhattan...peace to all!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Koigu socks. Doesn't it feel so good to finish the Christmas knitting. I felt so free and immediately casted on for a sock of my very own. The Fetching looks so soft. I'm sure everyone will love your hand knits!

Wendy DG said...

You GO GIRL! I just finished and posted my last Christmas gift, also. It feels TERRIFIC! Now on to the fun stuff! Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Cute socks! I just finished my last Christmas pair too. Have a great holiday!

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

WIp it… WIP it good!! Sorry couldn't resist ;-D. Gorgeous Fetchings! Great socks too. I actually have koigu and I can't wait to try it. Have an awesome holiday NYC… sounds like a dream come true to me.

KnitPastis said...

The samething happened to me once I washed my Kogiu socks, they stretched out. I have two more new skeins that the next time I am knitting them on a few less stitches. I do love this yarn and the colors! Fetching really turned out lovely.

ātrais kredīts said...

I love the headline :D

kodumasinad said...

You are so funny! Love your posts :)