Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Yarn Karma




No sooner had I written the phrase complaining about "patterns and the extra yarn left over" than I hit a road block with my most recent pair of Fetching(s). The pattern calls for one ball of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino, and comes with the caveat that you will use the entire ball and have only a yard or two of the yarn left over, so you better unroll your gauge swatch (not a problem, didn't do one!;) in order to make it. Now, I like to live dangerously. I'm living a charmed life in many regards, but apparently my yarn karma is not so hot, because somewhere during the picot bind-off, I ran aground and had no yarn left with which to complete said bind-off. So, why don't you just go buy another ball? Umm, yeah, because I got the yarn in Pittsburgh and it was in the 35% off bin because there was only one ball left in the entire store. And when I bought I thought I was so lucky and vaguely had the feeling of getting away with something. Ha! The joke's on me! Well, luckily my stash contains a horn of plenty where yarn is concerned, so finding another worsted in a squint-and-the-color-looks-the-same kind of way wasn't a problem, thereby counteracting the bad yarn karma. Which means that maybe my yarn karma isn't that bad after all. So tell me, this incident has me wondering: what is your yarn karma like?

10 comments:

Becka said...

LOL, that's why I always buy another ball of yarn...but...what's a girl to do when they don't have another..do what an ingenious knitter such as yourself did, of course!
I love, love your gloves!
Hey, I would love for you to join us in the contest on my blog! I'm announcing the other prize next week!

Unknown said...

My yarn carma? Hmm. I don't really know. Maybe it is good if I don't know that it is bad... Nice handwarmers. My secret pal sent me a pair in about the same color. Now I have to find something different to make!

Anonymous said...

Yarn karma has it's ups and downs. I'm terrible about buying that extra skein, I think I also like the idea of getting away with something, lol.

Lovely fetchings you've made, I'm definitely gonna get started on some soon, but I'll try to make sure I've got enough yarn first! :)

Anonymous said...

your fetching's do look fetching despite your yarn karma! as for my yarn karma. I think its more of a gauge karma thing ; )

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

Yarn karma… so far so good. I do tend to go for the extra ball/skein or what ever so I tend to end up with leftovers. Loving the fetching in red--and it looks SO good with your nails :-D!

Anonymous said...

My yarn karma is pretty good. I always buy an extra skein, and that's why my stash is unmanageable!

Lone Knitter said...

I think I have avoided projects that would require good yarn karma. Having stuck mostly to socks, there's always a lot of yarn left over. I'll have to revisit this question after I make my first sweater!

Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

So the whole yarn karma thing has me all freaked out about "the sweater". According to the pattern, I should have 30yds left over but I need to make it about 1" longer. Guess I'll find out shortly what my Yarn Karma really is… those fetching really are awesome, just had to say it again :-D

musta lammas said...

Thanks for your lovely comment in my blog! It`s nice that every now and then someone actually reads the English part...

The yarn I use for my colour therapy socks is made by a Norwegian Gjestal spinnery, http://www.gjestal.no/ , but I don`t know if the name of the yarn 'Maija' is used only for the Finnish market (I couldn`t find it on their website). It`s 85% wool, 15% polyamide, and comes in many wonderful colours - and is relatively cheap. A good choice for projects like the socks! You know, sometimes you just yearn for colour!

Anonymous said...

Your fetchings ar coming out great and I love the manicure!